Notices

Day 5 and I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 and I'm feeling overwhelmed.

My house and garden are a mess. I owe money left, right and centre and I have zero energy. I am feeling so overwhelmed by all the things I've neglected because of my drinking. I can't believe I've let everything slide so badly. I've managed to keep my job but everything else is a mess.

I know I can't fix everything in a few short days but I'm realising that it's going to take a long time to heal and repair myself, my home, my finances and I feel on the edge of a panic attack due to it all.

At least I will not be drinking today.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey noneever. I'm in the same boat, but finishing up day 4. I've realized all that mess has been there quite a while and can just hang out a little bit longer while I focus on my sobriety. I understand that doesn't always work in the case of owing money, but house and garden and other things like that, the world won't end if they stay that way. It just bothers us now because we aren't drinking it under the rug.

Hang in there, and congrats on 5 days.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's easy to feel overwhelmed in early recovery. Our bodies and brains are starting to heal, but it's a 'bumpy ride' for a while. Stick with it. It gets better.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know it's easy to feel overwhelmed in early recovery when we have to stop and face all the messes. Take some deep breaths and know that you will get things done, just not all at once. I found that making a list of specific things to do and crossing off two or three things every day made me feel like I was accomplishing something.

Congratulations on Day 5!
Old 02-26-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Remember: ODAAT (one day at a time). Take it each day and set attainable goals.
Try writing down steps to improve your situation. One 'baby step' that you can do and cross off your list. You will start feeling a sense of accomplishment. Even if it is simple like put all dirty dishes in the sink or pick up all the dirty close and sort them in piles...write it down and scratch it off when it is done. It takes the pressure off your mind that is obviously overwhelmed and overloaded with thoughts. Just trying to help you abit. Hope you find some peace of mind.♡CR
Old 02-26-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

OMG! Anna, we are on the same page! ♡CR
Old 02-26-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I put my life back together piece by piece Noneever...I had weekly lists (sometimes daily ones) and I did a whole lot of little things to start and worked myself up to the big ones.

Clean one room....make yourself a nourishing meal...weed a patch in the garden...work up to the bigger stuff...approach your creditors with a payment plan (I'd do that as soon as you feel you can handle it because the mroe time you give them the more generous they are usually)

It did take a while...but noone leaps to the top of the mountain in one leap...slow and steady makes it

D
Old 02-26-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I put my life back together piece by piece Noneever...I had weekly lists (sometimes daily ones) and I did a whole lot of little things to start and worked myself up to the big ones.

Clean one room....make yourself a nourishing meal...weed a patch in the garden...work up to the bigger stuff...approach your creditors with a payment plan (I'd do that as soon as you feel you can handle it because the mroe time you give them the more generous they are usually)

It did take a while...but noone leaps to the top of the mountain in one leap...slow and steady makes it

D
this is what I did when I got sober--just a single room, a single task at a time to start getting a handle on things.

I also ate well, drank plenty of water, started exercising.

A hot shower, watching old movies, making a cup of herbal tea,
and reading also helped me get through the panic moments.

It will get better--just stay sober and in a month you'll be amazed
how things have improved, especially your mental state.
The panic and fear does fade with continued sobriety
Old 02-26-2016, 07:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You'll get there, we all made a damn mess we had to clean up.
Like the others have said- one thing at a time xoxo
Old 02-26-2016, 08:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
You'll get there, we all made a damn mess we had to clean up.
Like the others have said- one thing at a time xoxo
Aint that true............in one way or another we all have/had a mess to sort out when we sobered up. Some have to sort out relationships or jobs. Others their domestic situation. And others finances. To sort it all out is possible. Prioritize.

I agree with Dee in that I would start on the finances situation first, the yard and house can wait a couple more weeks. Sit down and write up a payment plan to each creditor, and contact them about formally agreeing to your plan. Its important you get them to formally agree if they accept your payment plan. Things can go down hill rather rapidly and get extremely stressful when repossessions start or court papers arrive! I would be making this my number 1 priority.

And then Id start on the inside of the house. One room at a time. One room per weekend. Get yourself organised before you start.....buy big garbage bags, get a heap of used boxes from your supermarket, buy some cleaning products...... whatever you need. Then make a start. I would start on the kitchen first so you can prepare healthy meals in a clean and tidy kitchen. Then Id start on the bathroom. The kitchen and bathroom are hygienic rooms of a house that can make you sick if theyre not clean. Then lounge room. Then bedroom.

All the best, hang in there.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much! I'm feeling calmer now.

First thing Monday I'll get started on sorting out payment arrangements. Picking up some extra shifts will help. I've taken the kids out for a picnic today and once their dad picks them up for the night I'll do an hours housework before having a nap before my night shift tonight. Slow and steady right?
Old 02-26-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noneever View Post
Thank you all so much! I'm feeling calmer now.

First thing Monday I'll get started on sorting out payment arrangements. Picking up some extra shifts will help. I've taken the kids out for a picnic today and once their dad picks them up for the night I'll do an hours housework before having a nap before my night shift tonight. Slow and steady right?
That sounds like a great start!
Xoxo
Old 02-27-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It'll take time but you'll get there, but don't listen to the fairytales that alcohol could help in any way, because it won't, it'll only make things worse!!

Keep pushing through, you can do this!!
Old 02-28-2016, 12:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Old 02-28-2016, 12:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Whenever you're facing a big problem, break it down into a set of small problems. Attack the smallest stuff first.

That way, you clear the decks for being able to attack the bigger stuff without the small beans distracting you, and more importantly, you build your confidence by solving those small issues.

Never try to eat the watermelon in one bite. Carve it up and do what you can when you can.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your thinking about things which is wise don't over think though your doing well