Notices

I need to drink today

Old 02-26-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to drink today

So yesterday I found out that I didn't get the promotion I was going for at work. I'm so upset about that. I told my boss I needed a personal day today and she understood (the promotion wasn't up to her, it was up to the people above her). So I already started looking for another job, which is stressful.

Then, today I called my therapist to see if we could meet because I was so upset. That's when he decided to tell me he won't work with me anymore. What a way to kick me while I'm down. I've done nothing but cry all morning, I have a killer headache, I'm all shaky, threw up this morning, and I had a panic attack already. I desperately need to drink today and I don't know how I'm going to fight it when I don't feel like doing anything but laying on my couch. And this is only Day 17.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry about you not getting the promotion.

Why would your therapist say he wouldn't work with you anymore? Gosh, that seems terribly unprofessional. Did he recommend someone else you could see?

You don't need to drink and you know it won't help. You might feel better if you continue to work on searching for a new job, spruce up your resume and make a plan to get the job you want.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

if you start craving try this

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 02-26-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry about the promotion and the rude therapist. You know that drinking won't help your situation, in fact, will only make it worse.

I hope you don't drink.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Why would you want to make things worse than they already are?

We all have bad days and it sounds like you are definitely having one. But of all the possible things you could do, the very LAST one is to drink alcohol. Think of the additional shame, guilt and anxiety you'll feel when you wake up hungover tomorrow or do something rash while you are drunk.

Coming here instead was a great first step instead - how about taking a walk, getting something to eat, watching a movie, taking a nap, reading a book or spending some time here on SR?
Old 02-26-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thats some tough stuff but you dont need a drink. imo you want a drink- a tempory relief. then youll sober up and there will be everything- still.

i highly doubt your therapist planned to make the decision to not work with you today- it just happened that that is how life on lifes terms is unfolding today.

job searching can be stressful, but one of the positives is you still have a job,dont you? arent there other therapists to look at for help?
were you given an explaination for why your therapist wont work with you anymore?

dinking will NOT make anything better.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

alcoholfighter, you've made it to day 17!! That's awesome... why would you want to start over?

Hang out here and you'll get through this day sober.

I'm sorry you're having a rough time today. Please don't make it worse by drinking.

You can get through this!
Old 02-26-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am sorry alcoholfighter. I know things are rough right now.

But think of this: If you get through this sober, if you fight the urge to drink when times are tough....you can turn this bad situation into a triumph.

And, if you want a different way to look at this, I would rather see you lose a promotion and lose a therapist than to see you start drinking again. The first two problems aren't going to kill you. The drinking might.

I am really glad you came here to talk about your struggle. You have our support.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Drinking is definitely not the answer. You may think it will cheer you up now, but when you sober up all of your problems will still be there. Maybe you should try to live in the solution and not the problem. At least you have a job and you can keep looking for another. Why don't you find another therapist? Everything will work itsef out. A drink won't solve your problems.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you drink you are still going to have the same problems .. but with another problem added to it.

Maybe you need to rest .. lay down for awhile with some tv .. sleep if you can.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't drink. You'll hate yourself.
There are times when I crave it too. But I have never EVER woken up sober and clear headed and thought "I wish I drank last night." Many times I have woken up and thought "I wish I HADN'T drank last night."
Old 02-26-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry you are having a really rough day. Drinking will only make things worse. Think about what you need to look after yourself instead.

My best wishes,

B
Old 02-26-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ice cream.

Flavor of your choice, in large quantities.

Sometimes things just suck. And to be all pedantic on you and quote Shakespeare,
"When sorrows come, they come not single spies but in battalions."

Sending you a giant hug and handing you a very large spoon.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well if you end up drinking, you will probably drink a lot right? I know I would given the circumstances.

But that will lead to a hangover tomorrow, and in my case a killer one. So not only do you still have to deal with your initial problems you have to deal with the hangover associated with it! The anxiety, the parched throat, the stomach pains, the dizziness, the head ache, the nausea... Should I go on?

Sound good? Sound fun? Sound productive?

I hope you make the right choice.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

heh, see below. (tried to delete the half-post)
Old 02-26-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Drinking will make things worse, not better.
You have 17 days--please keep sober and don't give in.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Unless drinking will get you the job promotion and will cause your therapist to apologize and reconsider working with you, you don't need a drink.

When I lost my job of 19 years I used (including drinking) in earnest. Same thing when my first marriage fell apart. - Oddly enough I never did get that job back or have my marriage healed no matter how much I used. When my father died I was 10 months clean/sober. My brother was still drinking and still does to this day. My father's passing really upset him. However, no matter how much he drinks my father's still dead.

I'm not beating you up, we've all been there and IME we all think alike. In recovery we slowly come to believe through experience that all feelings pass, and that none of them will kill us. In my time in recovery whenever I had stressful events and/or overwhelming emotions I went to meetings or got together with other people in recovery and let them know what was going on and how i was feeling. If I wanted to use i let them know. I have been carried through some of the most trying times in my life by people who knew what it was like to be me and understood my thinking. More importantly, they had experience with surviving their emotions and doing it clean and sober.

Hang in there. Be good to yourself and don't use/drink today.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

You need to drink today? Great. Drink some juice. It'll quench your thirst, give you some nutrients, and you'll feel better for having protected your sobriety.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks, Everyone for all the encouraging words and great reminders of why I stopped drinking in the first place. I'm trying to stay busy today. I guess I'm just sad and depressed about all of it and I know that by drinking, my sadness and anxiety will go away (for a short time, of course), but then I'll ultimately end up drinking too much, doing something stupid, and feel guilty (or scared of what I did or what I said to someone) and then things would be worse. The support you all provided is awesome for me and I hope I can do this!! Thanks.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You are having a very bad day. No doubt about it. Why punish yourself more? Drinking really won't stop the hurt. You'll just be drunk and hurt. I'm glad you're crying. That's healthy. I've heard that sadness is sign that a hurt is healing. You're on the mend even if it doesn't feel like it. I get this super crazy angst in my chest when I'm feeling crazed, hopeless, angry, etc. Drinking does seem like the fix. I get the need to release that. It's real. Some ideas: run. Be outta of breath. That will do it. Get a bat and destroy something plastic. Make sure you wear goggles. Sugar. Not healthiest but makes me feel better in the short term. Go to a meeting and shake hands with 10 people. Pay people's parking meters. That's also a great way to stick it to the man and be a good person. . A sober friend would also say that some days you just gotta grit your teeth and pray for midnight. You got this.