Notices

Alcohol and Adderall and Relapse

Old 02-23-2016, 10:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and Adderall and Relapse

Hi everyone. This is my first post here and unfortunately I feel like I have situation. I was sober for 18 months and relapsed last Wednesday in spectacular fashion. I drank almost two bottle of bourbon in 4 days. I stopped drinking Saturday night so I right at 3 full days into this process. Early Sunday morning I started having nausea and vomiting and it was just a really bad day. By Monday morning I was feeling a little bit better but not great and I was feeling better this morning.

In the year and a half that I was sober I was prescribed adderall and did not abuse it. So after my relapse this weekend I took my regular dose this morning. Which is 30mg IR in three doses. I always take the last one at noon. And basically I feel like I'm freaking out right now. I am so scared.

I've spent the last 3 hours reading your forum of different stories of alcohol withdrawal and I honestly feel like I'm in a panic right now. I don't know if I'm having a reaction to the Adderall or if I am still going through the withdrawal but this is the worst I've felt since the relapse.

I don't know how the drug would affect my brain if I'm feeling withdrawal it just didn't even occur to me since I was feeling better And as far as I can calculate all the alcohol was out of my system by this morning.

So I live alone and don't have a way to get to a hospital because it's the middle of the night here and I know I can't drive. Does anyone have any knowledge of this type of situation? I'm absolutely going to get to a doctor tomorrow but nothing will open for a few hours and the reading some of the stories I feel like I'm in danger right now.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know. I am taking Adderall (and alcohol) as well but a smaller dose. If you are not feeling normal I would call 911 . Better to be on the safe side.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
now's the time

Definitely go see a doctor tomorrow. Withdrawal gets worse every time you go through it (I know not just from reading but from experience!) and it's a good idea to check in.

In the meantime though, remember that part of alcohol withdrawal is huge spikes in adrenaline etc. When alcoholics drink, our bodies overproduce endorphins that give us energy, to balance out all the crazy levels of a depressant that we're inflicting on ourselves. So then when you take the alcohol away, the brain is still pretty wired for a while. I'm not sure if it's the same after a brief relapse, but I know that in general it can take weeks/months/more to get back to normal (although the acute part is over in a few weeks).

So taking a stimulant like Adderal could definitely make you really nervous and uncomfortable. I couldn't even drink coffee for a while at the beginning.

When you go to the doctor they can tell you for sure what's going on and also whether it's safe to take your medication, or if it's safe to stop them for a little while, etc.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. In general I feel like I made a huge mistake. I just don't know how dangerous it is for my heart and brain. The panic comes in waves right now and the last dose of the Adderall was more than 12 hours ago. I feel like it should have absolutely worn off by now. And I know there must be residual effects from the relapse too. I hate this.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can't decide if I should try to take a melatonin to see if that might help me calm down. I just don't want to make it worse.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Irish Blue,

I'm sorry but none of us are Drs., Even if we were it wouldn't be right to give you advice over the net and our rules preclude that.

I recommend you see a Dr - either tonight via a taxi or something or tomorrow morning?

D
Old 02-24-2016, 12:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Seeing a doctor for help is really the way to go. Best to be safe.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I did take some melatonin and I feel a little more calm. I am going to try to wait until the urgent care opens in the morning. Absolutely going to get to the doctor asap.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
now's the time

Did you get to the doctor's IrishBlue?
Old 02-26-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome IrishBlue x
Old 02-26-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How are you doing Irish?