Notices

How is inpatient rehab? I may check myself in

Old 02-22-2016, 10:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How is inpatient rehab? I may check myself in

I may check myself in to inpatient rehab. I'm pretty sure I can't quit on my own anymore. I have a good job, health insurance, I've called them before and they gave me a list of local "facilities" that were all "hospitals". Obviously no Laguna Beach palm tree resorts, I don't want or need that, but I just don't want to expect (as my alcohol brain tries to insist) a padded room that smells like a nursing home, where I have to wear a hospital gown, handcuff me to a bed, etc. Lol I know that's from watching too many movies, and I'm certain it's nothing of the sort, but can anyone please elaborate how it really was for them? Share your experience with inpatient rehab? Please honestly, the great/good/bad/terrible. I'm considering 9 days. How was it? Did they treat you like a human being? Did they listen to you? Were you surrounded by other normal addicts, or convicts or psycopaths? Did it work or was it a waste of time? Please be honest, I'd really appreciate hearing all opinions how good great or bad your experiences were. Seriously, if any honestly bad experiences will only encourage me more to suck it up even harder and quit on my own! Thanks.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I haven't been but I wish I would've gone. I admire you for wanting to do that and I wish you the best!

Now that my physical dependency on alcohol and the detoxing is over, I wish there was something for those of us who want to bolster recovery and learn how to do life sober. I come here for that and it's wonderful, but I'd also like it as a short term full time gig to see what that's like.

Rest, refuge, recovery- I don't know what I was so scared of when I was using bc now it sounds like bliss!

Keep us posted!
Old 02-22-2016, 11:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't been to an inpatient rehab or detox facility, so I can't exactly comment on that experience.

For me, when I went to the doctor for the first time I was scared and ashamed. I was waiting for the corner of the eye looks and judgement as soon as I walked in. The great thing was, they never came. When the Dr. walked in it was such a relief, I don't really know how to describe it. You definitely won't be the first person to walk in the door with a debilitating addiction.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I didn't go that route ,
most of the people here who did, report back saying it was a worthwhile thing to do.
The people you meet will be like a lot of others in recovery , some have problems and issues bigger than ourselves , some less ..

we all suffer from a common problem though and that is how we can all relate to each other .

It's got to be better than the misery of drinking when you don't want to .

m
Old 02-22-2016, 11:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I believe the majority of US inpatient rehabs use the spiritual 12-Step model and expect patients to follow the inpatient time with AA/NA attendance, a sponsor and spiritual Step work. Are you comfortable with that approach to recovery?

If not, you may have to spend a little time to find a non 12-Step Rehab. Personally, I believe it's important to research any facility you're interested in--12 Step or non 12-Step. Like anything else, buyer beware.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
I didn't go that route ,
most of the people here who did, report back saying it was a worthwhile thing to do.
The people you meet will be like a lot of others in recovery , some have problems and issues bigger than ourselves , some less ..

we all suffer from a common problem though and that is how we can all relate to each other .

It's got to be better than the misery of drinking when you don't want to .

m
i'm miserable drinking and i don't want to drink. i drank today. all day. i'll do it again tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience either.

The only thing I would suggest is find one with a good aftercare programme - staying sober in rehab is one thing - but you have to return to the real world, sometime y'know?

best wishes picturebigger

D
Old 02-22-2016, 11:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by picturebigger View Post
i'm miserable drinking and i don't want to drink. i drank today. all day. i'll do it again tomorrow.
would you consider calling up your local AA tomorrow and going to a meeting instead?

D
Old 02-22-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nine days sounds like a detox, not an inpatient rehabilitation progrsm? Will nine days be enough time for you?
Old 02-22-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bandit112 View Post
I haven't been to an inpatient rehab or detox facility, so I can't exactly comment on that experience.

For me, when I went to the doctor for the first time I was scared and ashamed. I was waiting for the corner of the eye looks and judgement as soon as I walked in. The great thing was, they never came. When the Dr. walked in it was such a relief, I don't really know how to describe it. You definitely won't be the first person to walk in the door with a debilitating addiction.
the doctor was what made me quit 37 days the first time. scared me straight. i thought i could drink one night and keep quitting the next, here i am. that was back in october.

doc was watching me monthly. when i fell off the bus i quit checking in with them. they called 2 weeks ago, ordered me to go get another blood test and meet them the following week to review. i cancelled the blood test and i cancelled the doc appt for tomorrow. all because i know how bad it is. i planned to quit today, go a month sober and then get my blood test so he'd see good news. i didn't last a day. i think i need to go to rehab.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
would you consider calling up your local AA tomorrow and going to a meeting instead?

D
yes i love the idea. i have their number on speed dial. i've never shown up though. tomorrow i'll wake up sober and decide to go "tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow, not today today today"
Old 02-22-2016, 11:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Rise View Post
Nine days sounds like a detox, not an inpatient rehabilitation progrsm? Will nine days be enough time for you?
based on how good i felt after 9 days last time, yes i think (or yes i hope) it will be enough. detox is what i'm mainly after. last time i quit, after day 1 i was committed. this time, i can't seem to even get day 1 over with. 9 days, i'm committed, i don't want to go thru it again. i just doubt i'll ever start day 1 if i don't get somewhere where its forbidden.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Rise View Post
I believe the majority of US inpatient rehabs use the spiritual 12-Step model and expect patients to follow the inpatient time with AA/NA attendance, a sponsor and spiritual Step work. Are you comfortable with that approach to recovery?

If not, you may have to spend a little time to find a non 12-Step Rehab. Personally, I believe it's important to research any facility you're interested in--12 Step or non 12-Step. Like anything else, buyer beware.
what do you mean?
Old 02-22-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by picturebigger View Post

what do you mean?
If you're only looking for detox and not a rehab facility, my comments don't apply. However, a detox stay is not the same thing as an inpatient rehab; hence my confusion.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

rehab spindry

For me the most important thing I learned was if I want to stay sober I go to meeting
Old 02-23-2016, 01:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been to a five day detox. It's not bad. They give you meds to make sure you don't have a seizure. They monitor your vitals. They made the detox a little easier. When I was off the alcohol, I could start to think more clearly.

I hope you can go and get yourself sober in a safe environment. Then make a plan for your recovery and work it.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Both my sisters & quite a few of my friends have done rehab
Old 02-23-2016, 04:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I detoxed at Crouse Hospital in upstate New York. The detox unit was on the sixth floor. It was a hospital so it had hospital rooms and a nurse's unit, etc. A lot of people brought their own clothes, toiletries, etc. It smelled fine as far as I could tell. Biggest complaint was the boredom. But it was only for about 4-5 days. We ordered whatever we wanted from the cafeteria, watched TV, played board games.

After detox, a lot of people went on to 30-day rehab which was like being away at camp. The facility was sort of like a hotel. You had a roommate and ate in a cafeteria. You wore street clothes. The days were pretty full with various group and individual counseling sessions and recreational activities. It didn't resemble a jail or hospital.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My experience. I spent 60 days in rehab. It was moderately fancy. Most of the bells and whistles...no pool or spa or massage though lol.

The good but irrelevant to my recovery: fine china, crystal stemware, gourmet food, yoga, equine therapy, meditation, acupuncture, gym.

What helped: I was safe. There was NO way I could get a drink or drug. I learned to get along with other alcoholics/addicts, I followed a schedule, I had group therapy and one on one therapy, they brought in AA/NA meetings every night. Once I earned "privileges" I could go out to meetings.

The bad: It was run by alcoholics and addicts in "recovery." Most had been sober less than 2 years and really were not working a program. Some were very immature. Also, you are locked up with addicts and alcoholics ALL DAY LONG. Holy drama and insanity!

The bottom line: I didn't learn anything I already knew. It was really just a place to "Dry out." A very expensive place to dry out.

If I had to do it over again I would go for 2 weeks to dry out after detox. Then I would go to a meeting and get a sponsor and start working the steps.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Rehab was great! Best decision I ever made. I onpy stayed there 10 nights so it was a little longer than a detox, but it wasn't a 90 day rehab or anything. Thst is what worked for me though.