Notices

Pro to quitting #34

Old 02-22-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pro to quitting #34

I've noticed I trek to the recycling bin far less often these days 😁
Old 02-22-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

LOL! So true!!! And, I no longer have to "stage" my recycle bin to try to hide 20 wine bottles for the week underneath a single milk carton and small newspaper! LOL!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to put my wine bottles in paper bags so it wouldn't be obvious how many there were...
Old 02-22-2016, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would bury cans under other stuff in he bin in the house.. And dump that in the outside barrel when my husband wasn't home. When it was glass bottles everything I would hear the noise it made as I dumped them in I was so embarrassed. I even worried what the trash men must think.

Minor victory and a smile when I dumped the can into the barrel today and it hardly made a sound and was full of food cans and plastic soda/milk bottles :-)
Old 02-22-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
LOL! So true!!! And, I no longer have to "stage" my recycle bin to try to hide 20 wine bottles for the week underneath a single milk carton and small newspaper! LOL!!!!!!!!
Even the best recycling bin bottle hider can't disguise the unbelievably loud, distinctive crashing sound that 75 or 80 bottles make when they get dumped into the recycling truck. I live on a hillside and sound really carries, so on days when I was home when the recycling came, it sounded like a pickup truck full of glass being dropped from the Empire State Building!
Old 02-22-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was so much work keeping everything organized, exhausting really.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I used to put my wine bottles in paper bags so it wouldn't be obvious how many there were...
I'd just throw mine in my next door neighbors bin...
(Jus' kiddin')

I still have some empties in my desk drawers and closet. Prob should clear those out.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

#Awesome
Old 02-23-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
Even the best recycling bin bottle hider can't disguise the unbelievably loud, distinctive crashing sound that 75 or 80 bottles make when they get dumped into the recycling truck. I live on a hillside and sound really carries, so on days when I was home when the recycling came, it sounded like a pickup truck full of glass being dropped from the Empire State Building!
just a thought here... but i also used to be paranoid about the bottle crashing sound. Thing is, i now drink San Pelegrino which is basically the same size as a green wine bottle. It has not occured to me once (until now) that the crashing sound could be misconstrued as wine bottles.
Perhaps that sound is our SV shouting at us? We just have to listen harder.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh man.
I must've been a really bad alcoholic. I never bothered to recycle. I just threw the bottles in with the rest of the trash. The bags would get so heavy (wine bottles are hefty hehe) I'd have to drag them down the hill to the curb...clinking all the way. We had garbage pickers that used to come and go through our trash. I could hear the "clink clink" when they'd get to my bags and cringe.

I used to put my empty nips in plastic baggies and discard them in trash cans all over town. Some went in the trash outside CVS. Some went in the trash outside Stop and Shop. Some I just flung out the window of the car etc. Ugh. Insanity.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would hide my beer cans all over the house for weeks at a time. The garbage truck comes on Tuesdays so before my boyfriend got home I would try to throw the boxes and cans in a big black garbage bag so no one could see through the bag and I would take it straight to the road so my boyfriend didn't have a chance to see them. I was always nervous about it. And who knows what the trash guys thought.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have done all that, but the funny part of it all is -- I am convinced that the only one who cared was me.

Garbage guys got much more interesting things to think about.

My cleaning lady did think my teenager was drinking, but that is another story.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Haha, yeah I don't miss the glass and concrete "clank" as I move my recycle bag to the curb. Plus it avoids the walk of shame when I happen to be out when the neighbors are!
Old 02-23-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When the thread "What Normal Drinkers Don't Do" was going, someone posted (I can't remember who) that they actually wrapped their empties in bubble wrap to keep them from clanking! I thought that was hysterical!
Old 02-23-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great job Icandobetter!

I never did a great job on recycling. by the end of my drinking career, I was up to 24 or so cans of beer each and every day. That adds up quickly in the trash. One Monday morning when I was at work, the garbage man missed his truck and accidentally dumped one of my XL trash cans with all of my empty beer cans in it all over my street.

My wife heard every beer can in slow motion as they scattered through the road! I still haven't lived that one down yet.

So glad those days are gone!!