Notices

Bombed another job interview

Old 02-22-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bombed another job interview

Not sure if I qualify as a newcomer with almost 2 years of sobriety/clean time, but in this instance I feel like a newcomer. After at least 1000 resumes sent out over the last 20 or so months and several interviews gone bad... I'm still technically unemployed (random little temp jobs here and there). I'm either grasping at straws with jobs that I don't really have direct experience in or I am "over qualified". Either way... even with doing my homework before interviews... I always seem to bomb them. I never had issues getting jobs early on in life so in the beginning I was sure I would find something, but now after being told no so often... I have a hard time going into these interviews with confidence. The good news is... the desire to drink or use is still not there. The bad news is the bills and family loans keep piling up and it keeps me up at night. I'm fine... just felt like I needed to say something because I'm struggling with keeping my frustration and disappointment in check.
Thank you
Old 02-22-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

That's Not Unusual

The more skilled the jobs are, the harder it is to come off as the right "fit." I've been where you are. Awkward interviews and lots of "overqualifieds."

Don't let it get you down. It's quite normal. That reassurance doesn't help with the bills, but hopefully helps you not internalize this.

You could, if you wanted, try to focus specifically on improving your interview skills. Not that they're bad, but they can always get better. How to handle the most awkward questions, how to get in front of and shut down the perception that you're overqualified, etc and so on.

Keep on going. You know it's a game of numbers.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Finding a job is not easy. Keep applying, keep going to interviews, keep doing your homework before said interviews. All your hard work will pay off.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good things:

- You have no desire to drink or use.
- You are VERY dedicated to finding a job.

So your post didn't read as such a negative thing to me.

Of course, the bad thing is that you don't have a job yet. Have you considered job-interview training?

Also, how do you feel before and during the interview?
Old 02-22-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope so. I don't usually need to search for a pick-me-up, but this is one of the areas where I lack strength. So I appreciate the kind advice and well wishes. Thanks for being here!
Old 02-22-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry JJ I hope you do find something soon why not find somewhere that helps with interview techniques ?
Old 02-22-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sending warm to you!
Old 02-22-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Good things:

- You have no desire to drink or use.
- You are VERY dedicated to finding a job.

So your post didn't read as such a negative thing to me.

Of course, the bad thing is that you don't have a job yet. Have you considered job-interview training?

Also, how do you feel before and during the interview?
I know there are positives. I'm fairly good at spinning negatives into positives, just less effective in this one particular situation. I get anxious before interviews... more so now than I used to. I think that has to do with the number of times I've been told no. I read into the other persons verbal and body language and am usually fairly good at being right! I sensed the interviewers both to be unimpressed, underwhelmed, and disinterested. I really don't know if I even stood a chance before walking in the door or not. I want to own the responsibility of not being able to hold their interest if it was indeed my doing, but don't want to take on unnecessary garbage if it was a no win situation. Regardless... feeling like they were unimpressed triggered more anxiety... leading to more awkward answers.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

its the job market at the minute, try not to take it personally
I went through 8 interview to get last job, lost that...then had a number of interviews though never got the job either for being over qualified or some other lame reason, I turned down other positions because they were not right.

companies are taking on cheap staff....so i went self employed. Maybe this is an avenue you could explore?

like i say, dont take it personal, even though i know its hard with the family and all...
Old 02-22-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Sorry JJ I hope you do find something soon why not find somewhere that helps with interview techniques ?
I honestly don't know of any places other than online help sites. Unfortunately I can't afford much in the way of paid help.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommyc10 View Post
its the job market at the minute, try not to take it personally
I went through 8 interview to get last job, lost that...then had a number of interviews though never got the job either for being over qualified or some other lame reason, I turned down other positions because they were not right.

companies are taking on cheap staff....so i went self employed. Maybe this is an avenue you could explore?

like i say, dont take it personal, even though i know its hard with the family and all...
Any advice? I wouldn't even know where to begin.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jackedjohn View Post
I know there are positives. I'm fairly good at spinning negatives into positives, just less effective in this one particular situation. I get anxious before interviews... more so now than I used to. I think that has to do with the number of times I've been told no. I read into the other persons verbal and body language and am usually fairly good at being right! I sensed the interviewers both to be unimpressed, underwhelmed, and disinterested. I really don't know if I even stood a chance before walking in the door or not. I want to own the responsibility of not being able to hold their interest if it was indeed my doing, but don't want to take on unnecessary garbage if it was a no win situation. Regardless... feeling like they were unimpressed triggered more anxiety... leading to more awkward answers.
thats just a typical interviewer thing...ive had positive responses before when i was 100% sure i got the job and came second or whatever.

tell you the truth most people dont know how to interview properly so we are all in the same boat trying to navigate.

Just prepare, do your best, hope the face fits and that's all you can do
Old 02-22-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Any advice? I wouldn't even know where to begin.
on self employment? or interviews? I'm UK based so our route to self employment and regulations and funding will be different.
You can easily start off with freelancing though - sites like upwork or even fiverr. Get paid virtually straight away.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think the anxiety leading to more awkward answers is where the problems lies. The anxiety specifically.

I don't need to work for financial reasons, so I don't work, But sometimes I go for a volunteering job. And I'm good at interviews. Not to brag, but I always get hired.

Where you feel anxiety, I feel fun. I really enjoy job-interviews. And what I focus on in every step of the way, is building rapport. Developing a connection. Sometimes I joke around a bit (given it's appropriate).

Because... 9 out of 10 times, the decision to hire is an emotional decision. And they hire people they like. Sure, you need the proper qualifications, but if you do, and there are 50 other candidates, they will pick you if you connect with them the best.

Anxiety is not helpful. A little fun. A little curiosity. That helps.

And of course reading up on the company. Know enough about who they are and what they do before you walk in the door.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I interview quite a few people who are applying for jobs where I work. One thing that stands out for me is how the interviewee makes ME feel. Does he/she make me feel relaxed? Does he/she smile and seem at ease? Do they seem like they are enthusiastic about the position and working here? How would I feel coming to work everyday and having this interviewee as a coworker?

Clearly some of these things you may have to fake. If you have been rejected many times, it may be difficult to seem confident and at ease. But it is important.

Smile at the interviewer. Act like you like them. Listen to them. TRY to seem confident and relaxed.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was thinking self employment. My skills are limited as what I am best at... I can not do for now. Hahaha I screwed myself pretty good
Old 02-22-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firstymer View Post
I interview quite a few people who are applying for jobs where I work. One thing that stands out for me is how the interviewee makes ME feel. Does he/she make me feel relaxed? Does he/she smile and seem at ease? Do they seem like they are enthusiastic about the position and working here? How would I feel coming to work everyday and having this interviewee as a coworker?

Clearly some of these things you may have to fake. If you have been rejected many times, it may be difficult to seem confident and at ease. But it is important.

Smile at the interviewer. Act like you like them. Listen to them. TRY to seem confident and relaxed.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
I wish people who I have worked with could tell them that. I've never had an issue with people I've worked with. I usually was the go-to guy for a lot of things. I even was adept at conflict resolution... usually with silliness and humor and that is hard to be comfortable pulling off in an interview without seeming like the interview is being made a joke. I see it sort of like this... in a classroom setting if I were sitting down at a desk before class... I could have the whole class relaxed and laughing. The minute the prof called on me... or we had to formally introduce ourselves... or had to do a presentation... anything formal, I choked. I hope I'm not only a cafeteria superstar...
Old 02-22-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

No extra tips to add but wishing you luck John

D
Old 02-22-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

OK, let's get this out in the open. No offense intended to HR pros.

They're advertising jobs they have no intention of filling. Management is happy with the employment situation and the HR people have to keep doing something to justify their paycheck. No one's getting hired. Everyone's just going through the motions.

Go through their motions as fast as you can. Put no stock in anything. Just weed them out. Find the right one.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Is there a tech college or a job center near you? they have workshops on resumes and interviewing often for free. Good luck on the over qualified I've been there. I'm glad you aren't drinking over it. I hope it goes better.