Notices

3 months today but im not celebrating

Old 02-21-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 months today but im not celebrating

Reason being, this week and weekend have been tough. I feel like I am going backwards. All the initial positives are starting to fade into normality and I am noticing things which are annoying me. I am also injured so can no longer train hard which is causing me to feel like I am being really lazy. Works been hard going and I have had the occasional thought about my old buddy and how I fancy an evening of filth and recklessness.......I know, it's how we cope with these issues which is important, is this a 3 month lull, Will things get good again, that initial adrenaline Buzz has left the building....
Old 02-21-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's pretty common, around certain intervals in sobriety, for feelings to get restless and discontent. Shore up your recovery plan. Be aware of cravings and talk back to them.

Like all things, this too shall pass. If you keep your guard up, you will stay sober and get stronger from it.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Least
Old 02-21-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 3 months sober!
Old 02-21-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 months sober 👍👍👍I write a daily gratitude list to help me focus on all the positives in my life...also acts as a reminder of the things I have now that I didn't have when I drank. There's a forum on SR for Gratitude lists. Wishing you well on the rest of your recovery journey x
Old 02-21-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In AA, they call the first three months the hard 90, and for good reason. Those first three months are tough to say the least, so congratulations on your success. Yes, things will get easier over time, but it still takes work. I've noticed after the first three months, the urge to drink diminishes a lot, and it gets a lot easier to just ignore it. Things do get better. Nice going. John
Old 02-21-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang in there ZlhZlh your doing seriously well my friend these feelings will decrease & fade as time goes along
Old 02-21-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you....really appreciate your words x
Old 02-21-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey zlhzlh - whether you feel it or not, 90 is a major milestone- congrats

I'm not sure what kind of recovery plan you have but maybe it's worth your time to go back over the basics?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 02-21-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 3 months sober and be very proud of how far you've come.

If you can't work out, can you walk or bike ride to get exercise that way? If not, then I guess you just have to allow your body to heal before you can get on with it.

You're doing great!
Old 02-21-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Three months is great, congratulations.

But now that your sober, life isn't necessarily going to be easy. There is still a lot of crap that we all deal with on a daily basis because, well, that's life.

Numbing yourself with alcohol is not going to change that. It's just means that you will be dealing with life either drunk or hungover. That make's it even harder.

Do you have any type of outside help, counseling or AA or something? That can help.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been doing this independently. Will look at making a plan !
Old 02-21-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on 90 days zlhzlh
I have read here many times to post when you are having a hard time. I know it has worked for me on more than one occasion, please remember to post when you need help. Great job on 90 days
Old 02-22-2016, 12:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am just beyond the 3 month mark and am experiencing all sorts of highs and lows. And sometimes just plain blah.
I too, am doing this independently and I find that self examination is keeping me busy. I've started a list of things I don't miss now that I'm sober (falling down, breaking stuff). I have thought of a few more things and I think I'll add them.
3 months is so early in recovery. I have no idea what to expect next and I have to admit, I'm in virgin territory for the first time in 25 years. It's a bit scary but exciting at the same time.
Hang in there, zlhzlh.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think that's just life. It will always have highs and lows. We will get excited about something new and then bored with it.

It doesn't get better.. But you get better.. If I just had a glass or two them it would be okay to drink. But I am an alkie and my life problems become worse. Much worse.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Zlhzlh,

Congratulations on 3 months

We're virtually at the same stage I think I'm 1 week in front of you from memory, it's most definitely been up and down but sticking with it through the downs is the most important factor as the other side becomes even brighter once you navigate them successfully.

I was feeling utterly desperate on Day 91 and wanting to put an end to the feelings I was having so much by just getting out of it but realised with the help of a few wise words from fellow members of the November class (take a look in there and say hello - we're all at the same stage of recovery as you - some great advice and support) and taking a step back and thinking how far I have come that there is no way I ever want to hit the reset button and end up back at Day 1. Those feelings passed and I'm feeling pretty darned good again.

Can empathise with you regarding the exercise / injury, something I put a lot into also and when an injury occurs it can be so frustrating (have a couple that are recurring and each time I get in decent condition something goes - so annoying !!), try to keep eating healthy and if poss perhaps try swimming or something not as strenuous as your usual routine that isn't going to affect the injury.

Keep going and things will definitely get better.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Do you have access to a sauna? Just wondering if the sweat and heightened metabolism might help chase the physical blahs away.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

3 months is really awesome; you should feel proud of that accomplishment!
Old 02-22-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 90 days. That is a huge accomplishment. Things do get easier. For the first year I went through periods where I was restless and irritable. It got easier as time went on.

I always drank to cope with being bored, or tired, or disappointed. I knew I was growing when I realized that. It made it much easier to say "no" to the little voice that told me drinking would be a good idea.

Keep at it. It's worth it.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone, it's so good to hear about others. Today is a new day, I am still on the injury bench, and work is stressful, but I got through yesterday and will get through today. Tomorrow is aanother new day!!