Breakthrough

Old 02-21-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sfs

Breakthrough

Normally whenever I post here, it's because something bad's happened. Not this time, though.

Long story short, after the latest blowup between my wife and me, she did the usual and holed up in the spare room with a bag of chips and her vodka stash. I was this close to being just done with the whole thing, but pushed through Friday because I had bundles of work to do which kept me distracted. Saturday morning I went for a run to work off some tension, and when I got back, she basically came clean and asked me to help her look up local recovery meetings. We had a long, very cathartic talk. She showed me all the places she'd been hiding alcohol and we dumped it all out. Then we went over to her mom's and told her what was going on. My wife stayed the night there and I spent the evening scouring every corner of our house for any more hidden booze she might have not revealed. I found nothing! I'm going to pick her up some time today and we'll discuss when and where she wants to go to her first meeting.

I know this is just the beginning of a long process and there's a lot of room for heartache and missteps, but right now it's like a huge bag of rocks has been lifted from my shoulders. I'm about as happy now as I've been since we got married.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

That's definitely a hopeful sign! Yes, there is room for mistakes and missteps, but it sounds like she had a moment of clarity. I hope she continues to run with it.

One thing--even if she begs, do NOT go with her to her first meeting. This is something she needs to do on her own, and she's also much more likely to get attention from the women with a lot of sobriety if she comes by herself.

I'm going to give you a link to share with her, that should make her feel much more comfortable about the whole thing: What to Expect at Your First AA Meeting. It's VERY accurate and helps take a lot of the mystery out of it. If she feels she simply cannot walk in under her own steam, call your local Intergroup (google "Alcoholics Anonymous" along with your location, and they will send someone to take her to a meeting.