Notices

Hey guys

Old 02-21-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey guys

Alright everyone,

Not directly linked to drinking, just after a bit of advice.

I managed to find a company that will train me in a management award. They are government funded so the award would not cost me a penny to enrol on.

The way evidence is gathered for this award is through practical observation and workplace discussion. My job covers all the necessary areas for me to be able to proceed with the study. The issue is that my manager is required to sign each piece of work off once complete. When I requested his signature last week, he would not sign and explained that due to it being an external company rather than the company I work for who are providing the opportunity, the agreement is between the learner and the company providing the award and not the company I work for.

Because he represents the company, he will not sign anything. This caused a bit of an awkward stand off scenario last week with the assessor and me pretty confused.

My company are not actively offering this particular award through their own learning department so I sourced it elsewhere. I did seek permissions / e-mail the manager of the company l and d department last November to check and they encouraged me to undertake the award.

It seems like a mixed message to me, I've been on annual leave this week and I do not want to let this lie and do nothing about it. My future career depends on furthering my learning so I'm eager to do this award. It will open opportunities for me.

Can anyone help me out with what I should do next?

Hope everyone is having a happy sober Sunday!!

Stewy (489 days sober)
Old 02-21-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Seems like you need to talk to the higher ups. If they already gave you permission then they will either sign off themselves or tell your immediate boss to do so.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Yea, your first up is being a dolt. Go higher.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stewy, this sounds like something that should have been communicated more clearly at the onset. But I wouldn't let it get you down. Find out who within the external org needs to sign off on the completion of your segment in training and obtain it.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sva777 View Post
Seems like you need to talk to the higher ups. If they already gave you permission then they will either sign off themselves or tell your immediate boss to do so.
Agreed. It may not be politically correct, but you might have to go over his head on this one. Your call. Me personally, if this will advance your career, I would have no problem with it. Congrats on your 400+ days.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hey Stewy I'd just explain it to the guys who you asked before you undertook this award

Congrats on sobriety I was wondering where you went my good friend
Old 02-21-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey wolf!!!!

Forgot to mention, I'm in a union, is it worth seeing the union rep over it?
Old 02-21-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Not sure as unions can be helpful but when I was part of a construction union it didn't really do anything for me not that I needed anything done but it was handy having them if I got into an accident or pay dispute

Remember the guy who said they don't offer the award at your work and encouraged you to seek external I'd proberly spk to him or higher ?

Spk to your union if you don't get any answers from that guy