Notices

ADHD/meds in sobriety??

Old 02-20-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ADHD/meds in sobriety??

So around the time I quit drinking for good last summer and started a new job, symptoms of ADHD were popping up big time. I had been diagnosed as a child and have always been fidgety, cannot concentrate, all the hallmarks. After seeing a LADC and testing highfor ADHD as an adult, I am on my first day of 10mg Aderall today. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this, and how it worked out for you and your symptoms? I am kind of hesitant as I believe there is some anxiety/depression in me as well and don't want that magnified? And what if this is just all PAWS? Anyway, any info, opinions, etc would be welcome. Thanks in advance and have a great weekend all
Old 02-20-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have ADHD too. I was only diagnosed 5 years ago at age 34, so I have been trying out various medications and therapy. The stimulant medications didn't do well with me. They did control the symptoms, but I am an alcoholic with a history of drug use as well so it was easy to abuse the stimulant adhd meds. Having a bottle of amphetamines at my disposal is a bad idea.

I recently switched to a non-stimulant drug that is used for adhd. It builds up in the system over time, like an SSRI, so it cannot be abused.
Wellbutrin is the name of it and it is actually also prescribed for depression. You may want to discuss it with your doctor if you aren't responding to the Stimulants.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks wastinglife. abuse and my history of drug use (more alcohol) is a worry of mine. My doc mentioned actually mentioned wellbutrin as a second course of action, and stongly urged calling in a week and another appt in less than a month as we agreed on the abuse issue. I was diagnosed at age 39 (just this year) so similar in that we are dealing with it as adults. I can tell now drinking was a way of dealing with the symptoms. Thanks for your input
Old 02-20-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi phlowing, I am currently medicated for a different mental health issue (non-ADHD), so I am not sure if our circumstances overlap. However, I too used drinking as a way of dealing with symptoms. I'm at about five months sobriety/meds (lithium carbonate) and all is well.

Not sure if that's helpful, but I wish you success!
Old 02-20-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks 5krunner. Not sure if the meds overlap either. I am new to seeing a Dr. for mental health, and it seems like there is a lot of figuring out what is going on mentally being clear headed for the first time in years (I'm 7 months this weekend). The ADD seems to be the major thing, so we are treating that first, and taking it from there. Im on the fence about being on meds, but giving it a week or so trial.
Great screnname, the best thing by far for any mental health and my sobriety has been running. A good run can completely change my outlook and mood. Signed up for my first spring triathalon in June and hoping for my first half in the fall. Glad to see another runner!
Old 02-20-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Phlowing - I was also diagnosed with ADHD (long term issue from childhood - untreated until one of my children was dx'd). I've been taking a stimulant medication as directed for the past two years and have found it to be very effective during my work day.

Educating myself on the symptoms of ADHD has proven to be pretty eye-opening. I, too, think I self-medicated with alcohol - but at the end of the day I am an alcoholic with alcoholic thinking

Anyway, I have not personally struggled with abusing with my meds but the stimulant is a controlled drug and I can understand the potential for abuse.

Kindly,
Dogs
Old 02-20-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Phlowing, I think something to watch is does the adderall really help your symptoms and does it get you high (gittery, tons of energy, etc). Report everything to your doctor at your next appointment.

I am in no way an expert or doctor but, I have known a couple kids with adhd and the adderall actually calmed them. The opposite of what it would do to a person without adhd.

Good luck.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think that if you take it as prescribed and it helps your symptoms, then it's a good thing.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the responses. Even on the first day of this medication I felt great, because the circular, chatoic thinking was hushed. I do almost feel like I am "cheating" in my sobriety. I am taking notes and treading lightly, see where it goes. Thanks again all, have a great day
Old 02-20-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad the meds are helping Phlowing

D
Old 02-21-2016, 01:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I agree with least, as long as you are taking it as prescribed and for a legitimate reason, it's not cheating on your sobriety.

I'm glad it's helping.