Notices

Help please! Severe alcohol withdrawal symptoms

Old 02-20-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help please! Severe alcohol withdrawal symptoms

Please excuse me for this lengthy thread.

I am a 28 year old male recent graduate in a field which is a mix of science and engineering. Looking for jobs in my field. I live in the north-eastern part of the US where it snows heavily and is mostly cold. I am 6' and 190lbs and curvy.

A little bit of my history- I used to drink (rarely like once a month, just a sip of whiskey) from the age of 14 by stealing it from my dad when he was away. I know the age thing must be shocking to many of you! From the age of 18 when I joined college, I used to pay my seniors money and request them to buy me beer and whiskey(scotch and single malts). I wasted all the money I earned on buying from them at higher prices. I used to also smoke cigarettes maybe 2-3 in a day. All in my lifetime I must have smoked cannabis only maybe 10 times.

Once I turned 21 I started drinking about 180ml almost everyday. From the age of 23 in grad school until now(28) I've been drinking close to 350ml everyday not in one sitting, but once every 2 hours, starts late in the morning until midnight. This could be because of my research stress. I developed high tolerance level by this time for alcohol. I quit cigarettes because of too much coughing and my ex-girlfriend never liked the breath. At this point I tried nicotine gums and patches, but it never worked and foolishly resorted to chewing tobacco and snuss dip. I self-medicated looking up the internet to try Baclofen medicine to quit tobacco chewing, it didn't help. Tobacco started spoiling my gums and tongue and also stained my teeth. Finally one day I went cold turkey and I am happy about saying goodbye to tobacco. Hey, I was also a heavy coffee drinker, quit coffee for 2 years.

I have tried sobering from alcohol several times, it wouldn't last for more than 3 days with all symptoms (shivering, colds and hot sweats, diarrhea, sometimes even constipation, lack of appetite), greasy loose stools, throwing up bile while brushing my teeth and cleaning my tongue, panic, anxiety. Worse things were tremors, incoherent talks, imbalance while driving and even while walking. Ears keep popping and eye tremors. Couldn't hold a pen in my hand and write with my usual handwriting. I am predominantly a vegetarian and occasionally eat eggs, chicken, turkey, lamb or seafood. I try avoiding red meat. I used to play tennis, soccer and swim (3 days/week cardio) until last year.

Unlike many of our friends here, alcoholism has made me lose weight in my body. I have a very mild hypothyroidism and I take my medicines without missing (I also fear doctors if they would diagnose me for cancer, cirrhosis, kidney ailment or pancreatitis.

Now my current withdrawal problem is my urine is more orangish to reddish, than the usual yellow one. It was never this reddish when I used to drink heavily and I am confused. I never considered AA as one of my friends has been there 3 times and again starts binge drinking. Do they only counsel or give any medicines? I have been taking 1 mg x 2 Ativan everyday and vitamin pills along with food. To begin my sobriety I didn't go cold turkey as I am an extremely heavy drinker. So gradually I tapered it down from 350ml per day to 325, 300, 275ml and it took me 2 weeks to do that. I drink 4-5 liters of water everyday ever since my teenage days as I perspire a lot.

I was so popular that once I even forget my 1000s of friends and now my social life has almost come to a big zero and people have started avoiding me and I have been avoiding some to not get myself in an embarrassing spot. Please help me friends and advisors. I'm very concerned about my urine color. Thank you for reading patiently. (no) cheers!
Tom
P.S. It is now 3 days and I feel miserable with all the above mentioned symptoms. I have not moved out of my bed except for frugal appetite and to use to bathroom. Ativan makes me feel better but also makes me drowsy and sleepy.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Could be a kidney or bladder infection, could be several things, none of them ignorable.

I get the fear of doctors thing, I really do, but this is serious AND you don't have to suffer like this...a medical detox would be much safer and easier.

Get thee to an ER or a urgent care facility. Usually doctors are more than happy to help someone who is sincerely trying to get sober.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Self detoxing and even tapering can be dangerous, I would recommend visiting your doctor for advice before you start if you can.

AA doesn't work for everyone - your experience with it may be different to how your friend found it.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tim - it sounds like you have been trying to cope with a very lot. Please see a doctor- they have seen it all, and will be detached but understanding. The reliedf you will feel to be in trained hands will far exceed any help that can be provided here. I've seen tons of stories like yours here at SR, where a doctor visit was able to assuage fears and provide a solid course of medical action in the short term. Then lean on everyone here to help you with the rest. Please- seek medical care.
I am squeezing for you.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Tom!

My best advice would to see a Doctor if your concerned about detoxing. We cannot give medical advice.

AA does not give medications.

Please make an appointment to see a professional.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Tom
I would definitely suggest you see your doctor. If you don't know you will worry about all those things you mentioned. If you go to the doctor you can find out for sure. You will find out you are fine or find out what treatment you need. I would rather know and develop a plan. Not knowing... that is just unending worrying and suffering about something that may be nothing. That's a lot of unnecessary worrying. I will say that there are only 2 drugs that you can die from withdrawal (withdrawal...as well as overdose) and that is alcohol and benzos. So again... I'd suggest medical assistance. Be safe my friend. Do what you need to do to stay sober and clean.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I'll weigh in here as a Ph.D. Somehow, the educated/smart/successful among us always feel the need to preface our stories with an explanation of how accomplished we are, how popular, and how minimal or nonexistent our other drug use is. Been there, done that. Addiction doesn't discriminate. If addiction killed Beethoven (and it did), it'll kill you or me, too.

As a smart/technical person, I assume you've read up on the risks of withdrawal and know the signs to fear, and that's why you're posting here. So, you probably don't need us to tell you it's time to call a doctor or, since it's the weekend, get to the ER and use the phrase "acute alcohol withdrawal."

Also. based on your background, I'm sure you embrace the idea that it makes zero sense to repeat failed experiments. If you've made previous attempts to get sober on your own and have failed, it's time to s**tcan that idea and get some outside, expert help.

As for AA -- they're not medical providers and won't hook you up with meds. For myself, they are not only not helpful, but many of their philosophies were quite toxic to me. But they do help others. Bottom line: Make some calls, do something, make something happen here to get yourself safe and sober.

Keep posting here; you'll find lots of support. Many people here came here a hot mess and are now doing a lot better. I was a wreck but am now happy, healthy, and 40 days sober.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I appreciate all of your advices and suggestions in the comments. I shall soon meet a doctor and update you guys.
Thank you all once again.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Please stick with this...and us...it's worth it.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ativan and 250-200 ml of whiskey is not a good combo, Throw the booze out drink a ton of water and Gatorade, eat healthy, go for a walk, if it's to cold outside go to the mall.. Get an appointment to see your doctor, during your visit tell them you want a physical, usually it's just blood work.. Find out what's going on with your body.

There's no easy fix when you give up booze, you're going to be uncomfortable for a few days up to a week. The good thing is that your young!

Also, I wouldn't be concerned about your social status right now, get clean and everything will fall in place. You mentioned AA.. Spend an hour and go check out a meeting, if you want to quit drinking they know how to do it!!

Make it happen!! Wishing you the best!!
Old 02-20-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Awww (((( hug)))) thanks for sharing xoxo
Lots of good advice here- I'm a student as well, I totally understand the stress
Old 02-20-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, Tom!

Lots of information and support here for you.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Obviously as everyone has mentioned a trip to the Dr. Is the number one priority.

That said those withdrawal symptoms seem much like what I have been through. Remember after you make it past them, say 10 days or so they will come right back again if you decide to start a new binge.

Keep drinking water all that you suffer from is stuff you can recover from given time.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Tom
Old 02-20-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Tom!!