Notices

Hello, finally admitting my alcohol addiction

Old 02-19-2016, 08:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, finally admitting my alcohol addiction

Hi all,

This is the first time in my life where I will admit that I have a severe alcohol addiction that has grown over the years and in many ways ruined my life.

I drink a bottle of vodka easily a day. And lost my life long partner because of my constant mood swings. She did not know that I was drinking so much, but I was secretly, always running to the bedroom or bathroom to have a shot. So it is pretty bad!

I feel ashamed of this addiction and looking to get rid of it to help me progress in life
Old 02-19-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome desertstrike!

You're in good company here and there are so many supportive people who want to help you. Just stay connected with people on here!

It takes a lot of courage to come admit to yourself and others that you have a problem with alcohol. Believe me, I know. Just the fact that you've already taken that step means you're heading in the right direction to change your life for the better!!
Old 02-19-2016, 08:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would get professional help on this. That kinda drinking, trust me I was there myself. You need to get medical treatment to detox safely. Detoxing yourself can kill. We are here for ya on this journey.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Desertstrike and welcome to SR. You've come to the right place for support and help.

Life is so much better without that crutch. I'm a better person for it. I'm pleased you've made that decision.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to our online community! So glad you've joined us. This site has been such a tremendous help to me!
Old 02-19-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I definitely second the recommendation for medical help. I've seen unsupervised detox from a bottle/day vodka kill someone. You don't want to take any chances with that.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by DesertStrike View Post
Hi all,

This is the first time in my life where I will admit that I have a severe alcohol addiction that has grown over the years and in many ways ruined my life.

I drink a bottle of vodka easily a day. And lost my life long partner because of my constant mood swings. She did not know that I was drinking so much, but I was secretly, always running to the bedroom or bathroom to have a shot. So it is pretty bad!

I feel ashamed of this addiction and looking to get rid of it to help me progress in life
Welcome DesertStrike

You'll find a lot of support here

The suggestion to see your Dr is not a bad one - sometimes detox can be a little problematic.

Hope to see you around some more

D
Old 02-19-2016, 11:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You've made a smart decision and one you won't regret. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum DesertStrike!!
Old 02-20-2016, 01:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Desertstrike. You've come to a great community with a ton of support. I used to drink a 1.75L bottle of vodka every two days until I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease.

One thing is for sure, it only gets worse if you don't quit.

Quitting gave me my life back, you can get yours back too.

Welcome aboard, you can do this.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum DesertStrike. Well done for admitting your addiction, that's a big deal! Like some of the others here have mentioned, it could be worth you visiting your doctor for advice before you start self detox.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Thank you for the kind words. I feel like if I don't drink I get anxiety issues aswell, but I heard about Hypnotherapy that helps better than any detox meds.. has anyone done this before?
Old 02-20-2016, 11:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi desertstrike I've never tried hypotherapy.

I've been anxious all my life tho - and alcohol,. eventually made it worse - you not only have the original anxiety, you also get the anxiety of 'needing' to drink.

It took a while but my anxiety got better the longer I stayed sober, with steady improvement..

After several years of recovery I'm the least anxious I've ever been now

D
Old 02-21-2016, 12:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

DesertStrike - you're over the first hurdle, which is admitting you have a problem (it took me forever to do that!), so congratulations. I can attest that your anxiety levels will ease over time. I used face to face therapy to deal with my general anxiety and things are so much better now.

Reach out and get help. You can do it!
Old 02-21-2016, 12:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 02-21-2016, 02:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome DesertStrike
Old 02-21-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey All, thank you so much for the kind words. I will be booking a hypnotherapy session for later this week as I FEEL it would work better than anything else. I was speaking to my uncle who was a MASSIVE alcholic for 30 years and tried everything then after a 2 sessions he walked out feeling awesome, relieved! That was 2 years ago, and he has since just had the occasional beer on a Sunday afternoon thats about it. So seeing the same person and will post back results

In addition yes this morning I woke up and felt all those unsettling feelings and had a quick sip of vodka to calm me down. But the process is in action to getting better. I thank each and everyone of you for the support and knowing that I am not alone makes me almost tear up!
Old 02-21-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Maffers View Post
I would get professional help on this. That kinda drinking, trust me I was there myself. You need to get medical treatment to detox safely. Detoxing yourself can kill. We are here for ya on this journey.
I was there too and drinking at that level requires professional detox. I accidentally withdrew and it almost killed me. I had to be rushed to the hospital where they stabilized me.

Absolutely NOT something you want to try on your own unless you want to quit drinking by dieing
Old 02-22-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Stay strong DesertStrike, don't let that sip of vodka turn into even more. Keep us updated on your journey.