Notices

I can't seem to get out of this.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't seem to get out of this.

I'm sitting in a parking lot 20 minutes from home drinking in my car because I hate my spouses controlling behavior and don't know how to deal with it. I make up excuses as to why I can't be home on time after work so I can avoid him and drink instead. He dictates what I do and when I do it. If I want to workout at the gym- (which makes me feel happy) he'll come up with many reasons why it's selfish to leave the house when there's more important things to be done. I'm starting to dislike him. Somebody please tell me to stop hurting myself by drinking in a parking lot unread of going home and stand up to him. I'm a coward and don't have anywhere else to go if I do stand up to him.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Can you call an AA hotline? Or a crisis hotline? You sound desperate. Please don't drive if you've been drinking. It's too risky.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, before you do anything else, stop drinking in your car. I assume you will be driving home. If a police officer catches you, your husband will be the last of your worries
Old 02-19-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not so good on relationship advice, but I know adding booze into the equation makes things worse.

Please stop drinking now and find a safe way to get home.

Then with a clear mind in a few days, you can decide how to handle your personal business.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Best to put down the ultimatum counseling or else.

Might make him think ??

Mountainman
Old 02-20-2016, 12:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm glad you have finally posted, Bookaholic! But I'm sorry you've found yourself in this situation. Please don't be driving while you're drinking- you don't want to hurt anyone else, nor yourself.

I never did AA but it has helped many. If you list the general area where you live maybe someone will know some numbers for local resources.

It seems that you have two distinct problems, your drinking and your spouse. As a divorced guy I can't offer much good advice on the latter but you have the ability to change the former. You are the only one you can change!

I'm glad you came here, Book! Please be safe.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You know, if my partner was sitting in parking lots drinking then I'd probably end up getting suspicious and acting weird and 'controlling' as well.

Why not remove the alcohol and see if things improve (first things first). If they don't improve with him, at least you'll be clear headed and in a fit state to think of a way forward without him.

Personally, I found that when I stopped behaving in insane ways because I wanted to drink, things gradually started getting better.

Can you walk home from where you are, or get a bus / taxi / lift? A dui charge wouldn't help anything right now any more than alcohol will.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I texted my sister and she picked me up and brought me to her house. You all gave sound advice and I agree with your thoughts. It's so good to be able to reach out to others that have experienced similar lows. I know I need to work out my drinking issues first.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard bookaholic

D
Old 02-20-2016, 04:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good decision making bookaholic 👍👍👍wishing you well x
Old 02-20-2016, 04:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a drama magnifier...it skews everything.

I'm so glad you called your sister and that you're safe.

Oh, and from another newbie...welcome! This is a great place.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good decision Book! Hang in there.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Book nice to meet you this site is a fantastic source of wisdom support sobriety & friendship x
Old 02-20-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

*"If I want to workout at the gym- (which makes me feel happy) he'll come up with many reasons why it's selfish to leave the house when there's more important things to be done.*"

**** that noise. Do what you want. He may be your spouse but it's your life.

~Bunnez
Old 02-20-2016, 09:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Problem + drinking = 2 problems with the possibility of legal, health, and overall wellbeing issues. It can easily equate to a much higher factor.

Take my situation, for example.

I went through a divorce in 2011. Completely tore my world apart. I drank a lot more than normal....which was already too much. I drank because it made life more bearable.

What I didn't realize was that drinking was making life more UNbearable.

Constantly consuming a depressant made my depression 100 times worse. My depressive state effected my overall outlook on life. My work suffered because I had a "screw it" mentality.

I lost my job a few months later. I still didn't connect the dots though. I drank even more. I had a lot of issues in my life that was causing stress. Alcohol seemed like the only escape.

I spent all my 401k and lost my house. Went bankrupt. I was AVOIDING issues instead of dealing with them. Alcohol is was fueled my avoidance.

My problems kept getting worse. I was not dealing with them at all, so they never went away. And meanwhile, I was adding more problems along the way. Then they would grow like a weed in an unattended garden.

I had many issues and problems to deal with. But the biggest one turned out to be my drinking. I didn't even realize that until a lot of damage had been done.

My first step towards dealing with everything that was in my plate was to quit drinking. From there, I had a clear head and could focus on the issues that needed addressed.

Look at what you can do for yourself first. Address the things you have control over. Quitting alcohol has to be the first step.

After that, you can work with a clear mind and you'll find ways to solve your problems. It won't be easy. It will take work to solve problems. And it most likely will be painful or at least uncomfortable, but the discomfort will be short lived. No pain / no gain. You can reverse that formula....no gain without pain.

Stop drinking. Heal yourself first. Then deal with everything else.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all for welcoming me and for your positive encouragement. You'll be happy to know that I started my day off and ended it without drinking at all. As you can imagine it was a rough day with my spouse and we hardly smiled or laughed at all. I just focused on accomplishing my to do list and taking care of some of my own needs "in a healthy way". I realize that I need to work as hard as I can on getting sober and staying sober. Hopefully I can be this way tomorrow again.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you had a pretty good day and tomorrow will be better.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bookaholic View Post
Thank you all for welcoming me and for your positive encouragement. You'll be happy to know that I started my day off and ended it without drinking at all. As you can imagine it was a rough day with my spouse and we hardly smiled or laughed at all. I just focused on accomplishing my to do list and taking care of some of my own needs "in a healthy way". I realize that I need to work as hard as I can on getting sober and staying sober. Hopefully I can be this way tomorrow again.
You can be this way tomorrow! Good job on today. It's hard but so worth it.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That's the right attitude. Do whatever it takes to go to bed sober tonight. . .
Old 02-21-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I woke up with a craving this morning. I've made a long list of home organization projects. Hopefully staying busy with that and a fresh pot of coffee will keep me focused.🙏