Notices

Day 29 and facing 1st big test

Old 02-19-2016, 01:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 29 and facing 1st big test

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much to you all for posting and basically everybody on this site. I can't belive I have come this far. It's like a switch went off in my head. I was in a very bad place and what I have achieved in my 29 days has been gobsmacking. I 100% would not of got to were I am now drinking. I did get professional help detoxing 10 years ago but only stuck it out 12 days. This time I never even opened the Declinol I purchased.

My achievements over the last month: finally went to the dentist, had root canal, dumped a load of clutter from my home, designed and opened a new cafe for my company, got my fertility clinic appointment, told my friends and family I am off booze (who have been very supportive and even a little surprised), working more efficiently at my job, my wallet is a little heavier(still doesn't last long but it's being spent better) getting a full nights sleep as the bed sweating has stopped...iI could add another 10 things to the list very easily.

Today will be my first big tester. My husband and I are both going to a two night work conference. It usually starts and finishes in the bar. It's a 5 hour drive so I have booked a third night to make a bit of a long weekend of it. We have never spent a night in a hotel yet where we weren't the last two people to leave the bar and these conferences are fully loaded with booze and booze pushers. My husband is still drinking which will also be hard on me, not to mention how boring he is when drinking (I must of been shocking). I have only been out once socially in my 29 days so I am stressing about this weekend.

In one way I am looking forward to the challenge but so afraid I will give in. I am very run down. I have 2 stress lumps on my neck, 3 cold sores and stye on my eye (very attractive!). It did take me 3 weeks to get over the detox which is something I do not want to start again so soon or even better never.
I am going to post to you guys if I find myself in a tough situation.

Sorry I rambled more than I intended.
Tks for listening. It's good to know I have back up in SR.
Enjoy your weekends everyone.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do it Penelope! Think how strong you will feel if you get through the weekend away X
Old 02-19-2016, 02:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like you definitely need a plan Penelope - have you given that any thought?

D
Old 02-19-2016, 03:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Penelope having things like a exit plan will help if things turn hairy x
Old 02-19-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Since you must go to the bar have a plan. What will you be drinking? Try something non-alcoholic? A smoothie, coke? I wouldn't worry too much about conversation-the boozers will take care of that. One more thing, leave early. "I'm tired, have to make some phone calls...ect" Have what you are going to say already in mind then if you feel the need to drink "pop smoke" say it. If you "crave" excuse yourself (bathroom) and sign on here for 5 minutes.

I went fishing with drinking buddies 45 days sober and it wasn't that tough but I told them I couldn't drink-they are really good about it but some drunks are not.

It will be real easy for you or real tough. Is your AV trying to get you into a situation?
Old 02-19-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been told that the decision to drink is sometimes made long before you actually do drink. Maybe try and make a concrete decision right now that you will not lose those 29 days at all costs, and have a "getaway" plan or and escape route. For example, if I go to an event where there is alcohol (which is rare), I drive myself so I can leave if I feel the need to. Stay strong.