Notices

The more I learn about alcoholism

Old 02-18-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The more I learn about alcoholism

The more I understand what is happening to me. I now recognise my relapse at 3 months was possibly due to PAWS, I really really did feel I was going crazy at that time and I'll be frank, it scared me. My head was a complete mess, had obsessive thoughts and repetitive thinking, my thoughts were so loud. Urgh.

I guess im sharing this as I think if I had understood what was happening at the time I may not of relapsed, who knows?

I now have another 3 months under my belt and I am very mindful this time around of recognising my triggers, how I feel and how to help myself when things get tough. I can now see why others say it is vital to have an action plan. Keeping a journal and counselling, and AA, my sponsor is really helping.

I think its important to educate yourself as much as you can on the nature of addiction, and have that all important action plan in place if you need it, keep talking and sharing how you feel, people do get it.

Today Im doing ok! Im sober Day 94 tomorrow, Im almost past my last length of sobriety I so want to get there and beyond Keeping it in the day.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

That's a fantastic wise post Blueberry x
Old 02-18-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your experience blueberry! Congratulations on 94 days. That is fantastic!
Old 02-18-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on day 94, blueberry.

My mindset was similar, early on in sobriety, it takes a while to get the balance right, or it did me.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations blueberry 🎉🎉🎉 it's great that you've been able to consider previous difficulties and use them and the insight you have gained to support your recovery journey. Wishing you well x
Old 02-18-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

3 months is amazing! Very well done and thank you for sharing.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Congratulations on day 94, blueberry.

My mindset was similar, early on in sobriety, it takes a while to get the balance right, or it did me.
It was scary, I just didn't understand what was happening to me, mentally I felt very unwell, it came in just shortly after 3 months sober. Im hoping this time around it doesn't get that bad again but at least I'll know what is going on IF it should happen. My docs upped my antidepressants after that episode and I was referred to see a psychiatrist which got the ball moving to get the help I needed, and still need today. I had an awful day on Monday, my anxiety went through the roof, so I put in place my action plan and I got through the day. Music helps me massively too.

It is indeed a journey, I know now that I cant rush sobriety and that anything can happen, cravings and triggers can hit me totally unawares but knowing this and accepting that this can happen helps. There is a sense of accomplishment when you have gotten through a bad day sober and I truly believe this is because of awareness and understanding of the nature of the illness.

Anyways I cant get to a meeting at the mo, so sharing on here helps too!
Old 02-18-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I totally agree with one caveat. Education is essential for those who want to get sober but education alone will not keep you sober.

I went through a 4 month high end treatment program. I was a walking encyclopedia on addiction cause and effect. The problem was I was not willing to admit I could never drink like other people.

I stayed sober for quite awhile but eventually drank again. The AV worked on me for years and finally won.

It was only when I admitted defeat and became willing to make systemic changes in my life did the obsession and compulsion vanish.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Totally agree x
Old 02-18-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I totally agree with one caveat. Education is essential for those who want to get sober but education alone will not keep you sober.

I went through a 4 month high end treatment program. I was a walking encyclopedia on addiction cause and effect. The problem was I was not willing to admit I could never drink like other people.

I stayed sober for quite awhile but eventually drank again. The AV worked on me for years and finally won.

It was only when I admitted defeat and became willing to make systemic changes in my life did the obsession and compulsion vanish.
Did you work the 12 steps? Im currently working on step three at the moment.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by blueberry2015 View Post
Did you work the 12 steps? Im currently working on step three at the moment.
My first go around with sobriety which I'm referring to did not include AA because at the time I believed I was above AA. I felt i was a special alcoholic and was not like those people.

It took me almost losing it all including my life to embrace AA, work the steps and form a relationship with a higher power and admit I was just a garden variety drunk
Old 02-18-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by blueberry2015 View Post
It is indeed a journey, I know now that I cant rush sobriety and that anything can happen, cravings and triggers can hit me totally unawares but knowing this and accepting that this can happen helps. There is a sense of accomplishment when you have gotten through a bad day sober and I truly believe this is because of awareness and understanding of the nature of the illness.
This is so very true. I think it's a journey that happens when you learn something and move forward and quickly realize how much more there is to learn. The sense of accomplishment for getting through a tough day sober, is what will help you build your recovery time. I'm glad you've taken action talking to your dr. That sounds very positive.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
My first go around with sobriety which I'm referring to did not include AA because at the time I believed I was above AA. I felt i was a special alcoholic and was not like those people.

It took me almost losing it all including my life to embrace AA, work the steps and form a relationship with a higher power and admit I was just a garden variety drunk
Im in the right place, thats for sure! Thanks for sharing your own personal experience x x
Old 02-18-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time! Here's to many more sober days.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
This is so very true. I think it's a journey that happens when you learn something and move forward and quickly realize how much more there is to learn. The sense of accomplishment for getting through a tough day sober, is what will help you build your recovery time. I'm glad you've taken action talking to your dr. That sounds very positive.
Totally. I was in such a rush to be sober the last time and failed! Thought I had it in the bag and it all sussed ha ha erm nope. Easy does it this time around. My life cant alter overnight, im learning it takes time patience and work. X x x
Old 02-18-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I just had another emotional breakdown tonight. Full blown sobbing. Never heard of PAWS until just now when I googled it. This explains A LOT about my mood lately.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by secretchord View Post
I just had another emotional breakdown tonight. Full blown sobbing. Never heard of PAWS until just now when I googled it. This explains A LOT about my mood lately.
Its horrible eh? So confusing! Hopefully now you know why you feel an emotional wreck your better equipped to deal with it x If you havent a plan, time to make one, if you've got one in place use it!! Hope these feelings pass soon for you x x ((hugs))
Old 02-18-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks. And thanks for posting this.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by secretchord View Post
Thanks. And thanks for posting this.
Pleasure x x Hope you feel better soon x Let us know how you get on x
Old 02-18-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

Work all of those steps and see what happens.....