Notices

Cheated on my wife, with a woman named Alcohol

Old 02-17-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cheated on my wife, with a woman named Alcohol

I wrote this a few years ago on Valentines Day, and I was reminded of it this week so I thought I would repost it.

Valentines Day was this week and I'm grateful that I'm still married to the woman I proposed to many years ago. For many years I thought I was a good husband, than it occurred to me that I wasn't.

You see, I cheated on my wife. I didn't quite realize it at the time, it really was an insidious kind of thing. But at some point I cheated on my wife with another lover, and her name was alcohol. At first, we would meet secretly and share experiences just between the two of us. It was fun and exciting and we kept our little relationship secret from my wife. I would spend a lot of money on her, which I also managed to keep hidden from my wife. I really fell for her and begin to spend more and more time with her. She was always available, and always willing to comfort when I was down or help me to celebrate when times were good. I must have really fallen for her because I would do crazy stuff when I was with her, stuff I would never do when it was just me and my wife.

Eventually the relationship changed and I realized that I was on the receiving end in an abusive relationship. Man, this alcohol woman turned out to be a real bitch! Then my my wife caught me in my affair with alcohol, and her world was rocked. I felt guilt and shame for what had happened. And despite the fact that my relationship with Ms. Alcohol was toxic, she kept wanting to hang on to me and be a part of my life. I've finally managed to get this bitch out of my life, but now I have the creepy feeling that she might be stalking me. I think I'm always going to be looking out for her.

Anyway, my affair with alcohol is over (at least I pray everyday that it is). And fortunately my wife, the woman I have always cared about, was still with me this Valentines day. For that I am blessed.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Such a moving post Zebra...thank you...beautifully written. So pleased you spent this Valentine's day with your wife and not Ms Alcohol x
Old 02-17-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I've had this very discussion with my recent ex-. It is indeed a form of infidelity.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'm not sure about assigning a gender to alcohol but I think I get what you mean
Old 02-17-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for the poignant reminder that alcohol destroys lives. I never want to go back there.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

Good post
Old 02-17-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Excellent post. Really resonates with me. Thanks.