Notices

Finally Broke Through Day 1

Old 02-17-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally Broke Through Day 1

Ever since my relapse in June, it has been hard for me to make it through day 1. I am not sure what triggered my mind to say, "enough, is enough" but I did on Monday night.

I am already feeling some of the benefits of not drinking. I feel better emotionally although I do still feel physically bad. No hang overs or anything just little tinges of pain I think caused by severe dehydration. Also, I was surprised to see my hands shaking slightly this morning.

Although, I am reminding myself to remain ever vigilant of my AV, I feel a little more confident that I have made my mind up. I don't feel like I am losing anything but rather gaining something.

My hope is that each day I will begin to feel better and better both physically and emotionally. If I continue to drink, I will die.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Newhope!

I hope you read around and post here. Do you have any plans to go to meetings? It works if you work it!
Old 02-17-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi NewHope good to see you
Old 02-17-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you. Keep pushing on and don't look back.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That sounds good to me. I am glad you're feeling better.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job newhope
Old 02-17-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back on track.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am going to be tested this weekend as I will be attending a close family friend's wedding. I will be sticking close to my husband who will not be drinking and steering clear of my brothers and their friends.

I have been ignoring both of my brothers for the past three weeks due to their drinking problems. Bad influence and since they have sunk deeper into their alcoholism, they have not been much of source of support or companionship. Usually they only contact me when they want something or are under the influence.

So far, the only joy they have expressed in attending our good family friend's wedding this weekend, is their plans to get wasted and gamble. Both my husband and I are annoyed. We plan to drive the day of, eat dinner, and drive back.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Welcome back Newhope.

It's good that you have a plan to help you get through the wedding. I don't know if you have but if you haven't, you should talk with your husband about planning ways he can help you if the urge gets strong.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done on day 1 newhope...wishing you well on the rest of your recovery journey x
Old 02-17-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you've found your way again Newhope.

Stick close to SR and lean on us as soon as you are feeling weak.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi newhope. If you have to go to the wedding, please make yourself an exit plan. Drive separately. And leave early if you get the urge.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is going to be a small wedding ceremony with dinner afterward. It just happens to be in Tahoe where there is gambling and with gambling comes booze for those who want it.

My husband isn't much of a drinker and the only people who would pressure me or my husband to drink are my brothers who we are steering clear of.

Been drinking tons of water these past three days and I'm still feeling really dehydrated and am wondering if it safe to exercise at all right now. I completed about 20 minutes of low impact cardio and felt a tinge of pain afterward. Contemplating coffee this morning not sure if it would upset anything.

Feeling really depressed and lonely but still not drinking. Sorry to ramble.

Hope you are all doing well.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

I say rest for a bit at day 3 my body was the same it didn't matter how much water I drunk I remember the sweats everything and rest will help with that

Don't beat up on yourself your doing good NewHope x
Old 02-18-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't think I am suffering any withdrawal symptoms. I had a slight shake but that is gone now. But, I think there is something wrong with my kidneys or pancreas. I know everyone is going to say go to the doctor but I'm not ready to yet.

Nothing has gotten worse except for my affect. I've been feeling increasingly more empty which is making getting of bed all the much harder.

But, I know I am being stupid and stubborn. I will go to the doctors if my symptoms get worse.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Not pressuring but intrigued as to why not ?
Old 02-18-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If you suspect that you have kidney or pancreas damage, newhope, going to the doctor sooner rather than later would be wise.

(((newhope)))
Old 02-18-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know...

I'm holding off because I'm embarrassed to admit to my doctor that I'm a hypocrite and too depressed. All excuses.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post
I know...
I'm holding off because I'm embarrassed to admit to my doctor that I'm a hypocrite and too depressed. All excuses.
You won't be telling them anything they haven't heard many times before. And it's all confidential as well. If you feel sick just go - that's what doctors are for.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand your reluctance but if you think there's something wrong I really think a Drs visit would be wise - and will give you peace of mind

I also urge you to think about a plan for this weekend, if you really feel you have to go.

Think about an escape plan, think about how you'll deal with cravings, and think about how you'll handle being offered a drink, or being asked why you're not drinking...

D