Notices

Day 8 - Thoughts

Old 02-17-2016, 03:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8 - Thoughts

Hey there,

It's day 8 for me. I called this post "Thoughts" since I really don't have any idea what I'm about to write.

Well, I'm doing well. Slept really well. Was awake for a short while once, but in general my sleep was great. And who doesn't wake up at night sometimes?

My drinking days seem so far away. It's a blessing to wake up fresh, rested and without a hangover.

I'm playing some music. Eminem today. I have many artists I like and it feels like an Eminem day.

Btw, Eminem had a major drug problem in the past. He successfully recovered. And he's been open about it.

I like this song as a recovery song. Not surprising the album it's on is called Recovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5-yKhDd64s

I'll have that one playing in the background while I write. I want to look up something else on YouTube, but I like the song too much to stop it.

Anyway, I was thinking about the Pink Cloud. It's something I've been thinking about since it's a risk-factor. And I'm not sure if I'm experiencing it, but if I am, I can't wait for it to end. Here's why.

A long time ago, I was talking to a girl. It was evening, one of those warm summer nights. Clear sky. Moon brightly in the sky. I said to her:

"You know, for so long, so many people have looked up and looked at the moon. So many romantic moments between people. So many people being inspired by it. Fantasies triggered, stories, imagination. It's a beautiful thing.

But, sometimes the most beautiful thing is to see it exactly for what it is. A big ball in the sky. Just seeing it for what it actually is, that can be so beautiful."

We're married now. Just kidding.

The point is, I love reality. It is what it is. It is there and many parts of it are beautiful as they are. Many parts aren't. But it's real. It's something you can work with.

I don't want to wear pink glasses. I want to see things clearly as they are. That, to me, is beautiful.

And believe me, I'll take that over any pink cloud.

Btw, that doesn't mean I don't like romance, fantasy, imagination, and all that good stuff. I don't like a recovery-pink-could type of experience. To me, that ending would be a blessing. I would breathe deeply and think: "Ahhh, reality. There you are." And I'd be happy.

Good thing I called this post "Thoughts".

Ok, time to look up something else on YouTube. Ok, found it. The following is an interaction between Eminem and his addictive voice, which he represents as the Devil. It's not a song but spoken word.

What amazed me was how accurately he actually made the addictive voice understandable for anyone. It's exaggerated a bit, but to be honest, not even that much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBKz6qFyUOU

It's something you can wake up from though and it will go away.

Ok, it sure is Eminem day. There's a tv show called 106 & Park. He was there twice. The first time he was heavily under the influence. I watched parts of it and it's painful to watch.

The second time was better. He's sober there and his recovery is solid. The following clip starts with a piece of the first appearance and then it switches to the sober him, where he comments on it and then they talk about addiction and recovery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfsluj4uVyI

Alright, just some thoughts. Time to have another good and sober day.

Wishing you well!
Old 02-17-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 8! And thank you for the links
Old 02-17-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love Eminem and his journey; and his voice reminds me of my stepson
Old 02-17-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 8 days sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like Eminem a lot... especially during the summer, car windows open, heading out on a road trip... is it summer yet?
Old 02-17-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
I like Eminem a lot... especially during the summer, car windows open, heading out on a road trip... is it summer yet?
I wish.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep on keeping on
Old 02-17-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm a realist/realistic person as well..... What is this "pink cloud"???
Old 02-17-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360startstoday View Post
I'm a realist/realistic person as well..... What is this "pink cloud"???
It's this phase, usually in early sobriety, where you start to feel amazing. Things are wonderful. Everything is great. But that will wear off and reality will come back. Which is the part I love, as I explained, but is a problem for a lot of people.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah no pink clouds.... I'd like reality to remain, thank you for explaining.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Congrats on Day 8, Mike.

I think it's too early to worry about pink cloud, though to be prepared for when it ends sounds like a good idea.

I think "Pink Cloud" is pretty natural reaction for novelty and positive transition both in mental and physical terms, it just doesn't last forever.

My recent fav of Eminem - good for workouts and just when I need a kick in the rear to go through fear)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AqnCSdkjQ0
Old 02-17-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, Mike! I enjoyed all the links as well.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mike

I think the Pink Cloud is only a 'risk factor' if it feeds complacency. It's perfectly ok to feel good

D
Old 02-17-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Smile

Congrats Mike on day 8!
Thanks for sharing