Notices

Dream of attending a party

Old 02-16-2016, 11:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dream of attending a party

Woke up this morning in a bit of a panic. I had a dream that I was having to attend a party and all my thoughts were of "I can't do this, it's too soon, I'm going to give in, maybe just one drink will make me look like I'm less of a freak, but I know what will happen, that one drink will open the floodgates, maybe not initially but soon I'll find myself drinking til I pass out etc"

It really scared me but I'm glad it was just a dream. I think I'm going to be a long way off attending anything were people are drinking. Just had to share. Not sure what my point is.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had very vivid dreams when I stopped drinking, a lot of them included nightmares of me getting drunk again. I think its okay, its just our mind processing the weird thoughts we got going on. Your awake and you are in control!
Old 02-17-2016, 12:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Perhaps you've got some healthy fear going on there and are able to explore in a dream state��I had a nightmare last night too followed by vivid dreams all night long of various things, people I've known...dreaming in color sometimes
Old 02-17-2016, 12:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadsadgirl View Post
Not sure what my point is.
I suppose the point to sharing any anxiety (whether it be on here, with a friend, in the rooms of AA, with a sponsor, etc.) is that is takes the power out of the fear. When we keep our fears as secrets, and allow them to take up head and heart space, that's when they grow in strength and can take over.

Keep sharing
Old 02-17-2016, 03:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nightmares that are severe can mess with me sometimes the best thing I can tell you is the dreams decrease over time and in severity
Old 02-17-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, yeah I think sharing and reading is the best thing. If I bottle it up I go crazy with endless chatter and negativity. I think my night sweats are lessening too, maybe the dreams will calm down a bit as well.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I still have dreams like that on occasion. Just know that if you do go to a party in the future nobody will find it weird that we aren't drinking and that is just your addictive voice talking.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

lots of crazy drinking dreams/nightmares early on. i still remember coming out of one of them drenched in sweat. sat up in bed not sure where i was. i was very relieved to see i was in my own bed and it was just a dream.

im very glad ya see it wise to not attend events where alcohol we be a theme. it took me a while before i did. it was a charity quiz night at a vfw. i learned a lit that night:
2 women sittin behind us havin a conversation during a break. both had been drinking pretty heavy. both talking completely different topics. i remembered doing that. it was nuts.

not every there was drinking alcohol! there were a LOT of people NOT drinking!
all them years i thought EVERYONE at events like that drank.
then after a few more social events( weddings,concerts, birthday parties)
i realized not everyone drinks.

i have 3 requirement attending events with alcohol:
the right motive
fit spiritual condition
and escape route
Old 02-17-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Even after six years sober, I have drinking dreams once in a while. I'm always glad to wake up and realize it was just a dream.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also have the occasional dream of drinking...usually I just have a sip but yeah it's stressful as my sobriety is unwinding before my eyes! Well my dream eyes... Yes keep on sharing. In any given struggle you are facing, 9 times out of 10 at least a handful of us have experienced the same thing!
Old 02-17-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

"Look like a freak?" Not sure what kind of party this was (in your dream), but in real life "normal" situations, nobody will think you're a freak for not drinking.

But I'm talking about normal grownup situations -- not sorority parties, of course.

It's always a relief to wake up from the drinking dreams, is it not?
Old 02-17-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think a lot of it is that I'll look like a freak to those people who are problem drinkers themselves and I have a fair few of them in my life. The last couple of days I've really had an eye opener about who my friends are. There's one person who won't leave me alone though and swaps between being supportive to being aggressive about my depression. Unbelievable!!!
Old 02-17-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
Perhaps you've got some healthy fear going on there and are able to explore in a dream state��I had a nightmare last night too followed by vivid dreams all night long of various things, people I've known...dreaming in color sometimes
^^^^sometimes my dreams help "sort out" things in my mind while asleep. Truly that's what dreams are for. Fear can be unpleasant but really good for us as a reminder.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Actually that's a really good way of looking at it. It reminds me of how you can have trouble sleeping when you are in the depths of depression and anxiety-because that's when the brain sorts everything out and if you're filled with fear then your brain doesn't want to commit those things to memory so won't let you sleep.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh God, I have drunk dreams from time to time and I hate them! Scary! Sometimes I think they are a warning or a reminder from God...of where we could end up if we don't do the next right thing!
Old 02-18-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

A sign from God-I like that way if thinking about it! Wow can I say-from this forum and from AA meetings I've found that alcoholics have an enlightened way of viewing the world.