Notices

Cravings ... help!

Old 02-16-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Cravings ... help!

I knew today would be tough, but it's harder than I initially thought it would be. I'm having the worst cravings and I don't know what to do to get my mind off it. I have a terrible headache and I'm nauseous so even though it's dinner time, I don't feel like eating. I'm shaky and anxious. I'm having a tough time emotionally tonight and these cravings are making things worse. Anyone have any suggestions on what might work to get over the cravings or what has worked for you??? I'm new to all of this and today is only day 7. Thanks for any suggestions at all, I appreciate the help.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't know if it's applicable to you, but when I was early in recovery and had bad cravings, I used to take my dogs for a short walk. Just to get out of the house and breathe fresh air. Can you go for a walk? With or without dogs, both work.

I used to also "play the tape thru" by remembering how it would end up if I drank. I didn't want to wake up hating myself anymore.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sometimes you just have to put the day to bed. Take a hot shower, curl up with a nice blanket and say buh bye to the day. Start fresh tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Gratz on the 7 days. Water ,water, and water. It keeps the hands and your tummy full. Also try a little ice cream and crackers. Not a lot but it helps settle the stomach. It gives you the sugar/carbs your body is screaming for. Good luck
Old 02-16-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can you make yourself some warm tea, draw a bath, and light some candles to relax yourself?

If you can, get some food into your system. It will take the edge off the cravings.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I gave all of my money and credit cards to a family member so I had no way to buy alcohol. I wasn't strong enough in the first few weeks to ride out my cravings on my own.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all those suggestions. I can definitely try a bunch of those. As for walking a dog, I don't have one, but I sometimes "borrow" my bff's pup (from across the street) and adopt him for the night sometimes. Only thing is, I'm lazy and since it snowed last night and we had torrential rain here today, I don't feel like dealing with the mudd and mess. Maybe I'll do that this weekend though.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lots of great suggestions here. Just know that everyone goes through it... anyone who has time behind them has to get through the early stages of acute withdrawal and then post acute withdrawal syndrome (look it up... its helpful to read about it so you know whats going on and that it is only temporary). Getting outdoors and exercising are natural "highs" that can help tremendously if you can manage to force yourself out... that's the difficult part usually. If you can't get out then go to bed and promise yourself that you will get up and out early in the morning to start the day off right. The main thing is to try to find whatever works for you and in order to do that... you actually have to make honest attempts. It seems overwhelming and even the thought of it is painful, but it's worth it. After you get going you'll realize that being sober (after getting sober) is much easier than being actively drinking/using. I know it's cliche, but it takes time... time is your friend.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you seen this link alcoholfighter?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 02-16-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Some sleepytime tea may help. I second the ice cream. Your body may be cravig sugar. Also, maybe google urge surfing. Its worth a read. Stay strong, you're doing great.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If it's too much to decide what to do, sometimes the best answer is calling it a day. and go tbed Then, you are on day 8. Another day of feeling a bit better. Unfortunately we all have to go through the first few days and weeks to get to the good stuff. No other way about it. Exersize has helped me tremendously. Congrats on 7 days that is huge. Cliche, but it gets better.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link to that post. good stuff. I have literally been chugging Gatorade (I don't know why but it seems to have helped to have something sweeter to drink rather than water). Also, all the suggestions to go to bed are appealing. The plan is to get a really hot bath and get in bed. Hopefully, that gets me to tomorrow. thanks everyone.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Definitely EAT something. Forget the diet for now. Order pizza or anything else you like.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good on you getting through the craving
Old 02-17-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Sometimes it is as simple as your (our) blood sugar being out of balance because there isn't alcohol going in anymore. That may be why the gatorade helps. Lots of water and dried fruit also help. And, the old cliché about reading something (not in bed) does help. I'm currently on my third hour of being awake after going to bed seven hours ago. First, my mind went to the usual places--"Is there any alcohol that I can get to?" And then rationality came back. The idea of the "second sleep" set in, so I am up reading right now, having a snack, remembering how terrible everything would be if I did succeed in drinking myself back to sleep right now, and accepting that maybe right now, my brain is more interested in the craving than the sleep.

The brain can be a big baby sometimes. If you give it what it wants, it will stop crying, but it will cry louder next time because it thinks that will work. I know this is unwelcome advice, but right now, you might have to just have a craving and not give in.