Notices

Feeling like I'm in a dream for 60 days now! Help

Old 02-15-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling like I'm in a dream for 60 days now! Help

I've been sober for 60 days give or take.

I feel so unreal. Went to the Dr last Tuesday and have been put on Zoloft and Vistril.

So keeping this short anyone else experience feeling 'not real' or in a dream like state?

Am I still just too early in recovery?

I'm tempted to just have one drink not because I crave it or anything but just to see if by having one drink would make the head fuzzyness and such go away?

More of peace of mind I guess? I keep driving myself crazy thinking I have a brain tumor or something.

I dunno I just feel like such a mess these last 60 days have taken forever to get through and I thought by now I'd be feeling better.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Oh yeah...I went through that foggy-headed feeling for a few months. It will get better. Don't take a drink because it's not worth it. You've come this far...keep going. It WILL get better. I promise.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah it's a real thing and sucks bigtime. As time goes on you should get better...your brain chemistry is reorienting itself back to the pre-alchol days, which takes a while. How's your sleep? In late 2014 I was put on a sleep aid that was a tremendous help for me as my brain healed...at that time I had stopped drinking after a big problem for several years and the anxiety / foggy brain was pretty intense. Hang in there!
Old 02-15-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

From what I've read and understand, even one drink can restart your fogginess back to day one. No sense in testing it.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's pretty common to experience this in early recovery. I've been fortunate enough to not experience it as bad as other but it's there. I can tell because it gets a little better each day. I do feel like I'm not all there and I can tell my brain chemistry is still trying to work itself out. I feel absent minded at times and forgetful. Other times, I will be reading or watching TV and realize five or ten minutes went by and I didn't absorb anything. I just kind of drifted off to another place in my mind. I had almost eight months sober back in 2014 so I know it does eventually subside but it takes awhile. Whatever you do, don't drink. That will only set you back and start the entire cycle over again. Stick with it and know it does get better.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aquatundra View Post

I dunno I just feel like such a mess these last 60 days have taken forever to get through and I thought by now I'd be feeling better.
This last time around I was pretty beat up.
I was in a deep fog for several months.

It will get better if, you don't drink.

Mountainmanbob
Old 02-15-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
now's the time

Yes. I hate that feeling so much. I relapsed over it so many times when I'd try to quit. It came and went for me for a really long time.

Hang in there... I'm at 7 months now and I can't even think of the last time I felt that way. But it did last longer than I expected.

Don't give in and have a drink. Any alcohol interrupts your brain's rebalancing process. You can get through it!
Old 02-15-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not uncommon to feel a little dissociated for a while, even 60 days.

Thin gs will get better tho - I'd be surprised if the next 30 days don;t bring improvement

If you drink, you'll have to go through the whole process again...don;t do it!

D
Old 02-15-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, it's normal!! I was in rehab for 7 weeks but when I came home one of the first things I did was back my car into the mailbox. I've NEVER done that -- but, like you, I didn't feel all there. I am still healing but am much better. Don't worry, you'll get through this and feel normal again. Heck, better than normal, if "normal" was being buzzed or hungover!
Old 02-15-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, I felt that way daily for at least a month - it was always around 6pm for some reason. It was more than brain fog or forgetfulness (I had plenty of that too) - it was like I was dreaming or I was outside of my body. It's a horrible and scary feeling. After the first month it would come and go randomly, and not necessarily every day. I haven't thought about it in a while, so I guess (hope) at 6.5 months sober I've moved past that part of recovery. Hang in there... (((hugs)))
Old 02-15-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Make sure your getting enough sleep. It is perfectly normal to feel lightheaded/dizzy in early recovery, as the others have said it soon will pass and on to the new normal.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Two months sober is great, but still early in recovery. It will get better as long as you stay sober.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great to read the experience of others and can only offer where I'm utpo at present - a little ahead of you at 95 days and have been up and down but mostly down and in the said fog for a good few weeks - as if by magic something seems to have pushed me through it and onwards and upwards through this weekend (home alone for the first time - massive trigger but managed to overcome it) - 4 days ago I was in that same place but this feeling that's now replaced it is something else - it's well worth the wait and so glad I didn't hit the reset button over the past few weeks - especially Friday when it did seem tough and close to happening. Not complacent and know there's probably going to be a few more downs but if this is where it leads to then I'm staying firmly put because it beats any false euphoria that drink and drugs provided - keep going it will definitely be worth it and you know it will - 60 days is fantastic you don't really want to start from day 1 again do you.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Alcohol and drugs do so much damage
to our insides, our organs, our minds,
every inch of us is affected by this poison
running rapid thru us and the fog to
clear to see and feel clearly which is
where time comes in.

It took a many days and yrs of doing
damage to my insides then at 60 days
free of alcohol to turn around and
introduce a chemical inside my body
that would affect the imbalance of
it now.

That new chemical you are taking
will take time to find out where it
belong inside you.

Many of those chemical imbalance
meds for anxiety or depression can
be strong with lots of side effects.
Not all meds work the same in us.
What works well for one may not work
for you, so it is important to be honest
with your physician letting him know
how this med is working in your body
and be patient.

It is also important to let our physician
know about our recovery program and
that we wish nothing administered to us
that is narcotic or habit forming.

Staying sober and clean has to be
top priority in our life because if
it isn't then we have nothing else.
No family, no job, no future, no life.

Use our recovery program to learn
how to remain sober and clean one
day at a time. Use our physicians for
medical issues being honest with them
about our on going recovery. Use our
Faith for spiritual guidance.

Stay strong and begin to feel better soon
in recovery/sobriety.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes! But don't cave!! It takes a while to level out. My experience was that I went downhill up until 60 or 90 days then everything started clearing and improving. Don't give up!!!
Old 02-16-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Lots of great advice already so il just send my best wishes
Old 02-16-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aquatundra View Post
I've been sober for 60 days give or take.

I feel so unreal. Went to the Dr last Tuesday and have been put on Zoloft and Vistril.

So keeping this short anyone else experience feeling 'not real' or in a dream like state?

Am I still just too early in recovery?

I'm tempted to just have one drink not because I crave it or anything but just to see if by having one drink would make the head fuzzyness and such go away?

More of peace of mind I guess? I keep driving myself crazy thinking I have a brain tumor or something.

Thanks
That can be a side-effect of the medications, and it usually goes away after a few weeks.

Do ask your doctor about it though.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I would suggest mentioning this to your doctor. You could also ask about the medication Campral. It is used to help with cravings but from what I have read it also helps to repair your brain chemistry. Again, this is just what I have read and talked about with my doctor. It is a prescription medication so you would have to talk with your doctor to get it.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's so hard to describe that feeling. I call it "disconnected." It's like, I'm here. I'm home, I'm with my kids, but I feel so.... not here. Like a thin veil is between me and the world. I move slower. I feel more distracted. I'm so tired, even after 12 hours of sleep. Almost like I'm on a Benadryl or something. You know that cloudy brain feeling you get when you're on cold medicine? That's what it's like. I feel like I just sit and stare all the time, and I'm not really thinking anything in particular. And then I'll have flares of major anxiety, and those will pass, and I'll be back in the fog. It's not fun.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BellJar7 View Post
It's so hard to describe that feeling. I call it "disconnected." It's like, I'm here. I'm home, I'm with my kids, but I feel so.... not here. Like a thin veil is between me and the world. I move slower. I feel more distracted. I'm so tired, even after 12 hours of sleep. Almost like I'm on a Benadryl or something. You know that cloudy brain feeling you get when you're on cold medicine? That's what it's like. I feel like I just sit and stare all the time, and I'm not really thinking anything in particular. And then I'll have flares of major anxiety, and those will pass, and I'll be back in the fog. It's not fun.
Are you me? I have that exact situation going on right now, im 72 days sober and feeling like floating throught life with no emotions, terrible memory and concentration. Once I stayed sober for 110 days and the brain fog lifted at around 75 day mark, so im hoping it does again soon. And I tell you that when it lifts, you feel awesome!