Notices

Getting there, slowly, but getting there

Old 02-15-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting there, slowly, but getting there

So I made the decision that this year has to be my year to do this. When I've made a serious decision to quit I've racked up between 6 weeks and 3 months. I had planned to stop as of Jan 1, but relapsed in the middle of the month but now am coming up for 4 weeks. In fact of the 47 days of the year I've only drank 3 days, and I'm not beating myself up too much over them as 44 days out of 47 sober is good going even with the blip in the middle.

I'm distracting myself with books and getting on with projects. This Thursday will be the full four week mark and I need to get there. If I can make it to the end of February I'll have much more confidence. I just hope there isn't another blip- nothing brought on the blip, I just wanted to drink, no other reason. It's a bit annoying that it's meant I haven't been able to stay entirely sober this year so far, but if I can keep it to just those three days I'll be doing something positive.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sometimes it's a journey, and you don't arrive at your destination immediately. Every day sober is a victory, and as those days add up you sobriety becomes stronger.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found I could not stop drinking on my own, no matter how much will power I threw into the task. At some point I changed my mind and drank again. This went on for years, until finally I admitted I couldn't do it on my own. I needed outside help. The consequences of my drinking were growing too burdensome.

Good luck to you on your path.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi dramastudent

I had to change my inner dialogue from 'I hope there won't be a blip' to 'what can I do to ensure there won't be a blip', and then to 'no way will there be a blip' .

Distracting yourself is good but is it a recovery plan by itself?

A recovery plan really has to deal with the nitty gritty of triggers, cravings and what to do about them I think?

have you seen this link?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 02-16-2016, 12:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your upcoming 4 weeks sober!

Make a plan to avoid drinking again. What can you do differently to make sure you don't drink?
Old 02-16-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Having a plan is vital imo read over the plan link & you can even ask the mods to help ?