Notices

Day 2 - feeling miserable

Old 02-14-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 - feeling miserable

Yesterday morning after another "fun" night I woke up looking like I have been in a car accident after falling on rocks. A similar thing happened at xmas but was able to cover it up. I was so ashamed when my tween children saw me that I sobbed uncontrollably. I just don't think my body can handle alcohol anymore. I would have one and a bit bottles of wine a night at least four times a week. Never worried me until the last six months I have noticed I am tired not getting things done feeling crap about my drinking. There is severe alcoholism on both sides of my family . I am hoping i have identified that I have a problem with alcohol before it gets way out of control and starts really impacting on my lovely kids, loving husband and great job

If I think about my drinking, I think this: I drank out of boredom at night. No big deal I thought as not every night, as I still got up for work and did all other stuff. But now I think that drinking is adding up emotionally and physically. I don't drink because I am unhappy: rather drinking is now making me unhappy. And I want to stop. I am not feeling miserable on day 2 beause I haven't had a drink. I am feeling miserable because I know I have to do something.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Zonda, welcome. I was in a very similar place to you, about 18 months ago. Drank wine in the evenings, but still got up for work and never got in trouble. I just woke up one day and realized it was making me unhappy, rather than curing my unhappiness. I gave it up and don't regret it one bit ... much happier now.

You can definitely do this. Having a plan really helps ... read around this site, there are lots of good ideas.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 02-14-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Early recovery can be a rough ride, with emotions all over the place. But every day sober will be a little better.

Come here often and post and read. We are here to help you get sober for good.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Zonda,

It's really hard when we are faced with the reality of alcoholism. I'm glad you know you need to stop drinking. You will find lots of support here.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to meet you, Zonda. Please keep reading and posting here - we all understand how you're feeling, and we care.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can do this. The first week is hard, but I am so proud of you, seeing what needs to be done and doing it. It is so much better then waiting till alcohol ruins your life, then trying to stop. Welcome to the family. We are all here for you.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Zonda - identifying it is great - doing something about it is even better

do you have a plan?

D
Old 02-14-2016, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awwww! This was happening to me too.
I was drinking a bottle to two bottles of wine about 2-4 times a week.
Doesn't sound like much but it was destroying my life!
Making me anxious, lazy, foggy, blackouts started, insomnia.
If you quit you'll feel better I promise xoxo
Old 02-14-2016, 11:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Zonda
Old 02-15-2016, 12:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a sort of plan. I think tomorrow night (day 3) will be bad. I normally do my shopping today so after reading a few things others mentioned I stocked up on some sugary stuff at the supermarket and soda water. A brisk ten minute walk when I get home to break routine. I have also offered to take my daughter to movie Friday night. Something I would never normally do cos would start drinking about 4pm Friday's (cos you know, it's Friday!) I am literally going to take one day at a time
Old 02-15-2016, 12:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Zonda.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on day 2. The first part is the hardest. It can make you feel really miserable. You have to stay strong and determined because once you get past the first part, life becomes quite beautiful!

Make a plan. I always underestimated it and never really got into it, but now I'm working on it every day. And it really helps. Before it I was a chronic relapser.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Zonda, I'm glad you are here,
you will find lots of support on SR!

Wine was my downfall as well. I would drink between one-two bottles a night, and although I still continued with work and taking care of my kids, there were days I definitely was not at my best. I would have stretches of sobriety, and also tried moderating to just have a glass or two of wine, but eventually would find myself back into the same routine.

I am on Day 46 today, and definitely feeling much more clear headed, and present with my family. There have been a few days where thoughts of wine popped into my head, and I quickly dos something else until those thoughts passed. I have been using. SR, Women for Sobriety, exercise, journaling, reading, mindfulness, and lots of time with my kids as my plan for staying sober.

You can do this!!!

❤️Delilah
Old 02-15-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Zonda! That sounds like a really rough night, but fortunately you don't have to have another like it ever again.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Zonda, I am on Day 32 and can't believe I am here. I felt like I was such a bad and hopeless drunk- the longest I had made it before in the last 8 years was a week. You can do it, with a good dose of honesty to yourself in what you need and asking for the right help. I let my stubborn self hold me back for many years; now I have the help that was offered me all along and I finally accepted it. I have found that many of the emotions, anxieties, and negative thoughts went away with sobriety.

You can do it.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Zonda and welcome! Wine is my poison and like you I didn't drink every night but when I did things got out of hand and I would wake up with no memory of what had happened the night before. I hated that feeling, so horrible and scary

I feel a lot better since stopping (about one month now), my anxiety is a lot better and my skin seems to have cleared up a bit too Glad you are here with us.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Zonda?

D