Notices

Major brain fog caused by binge drinking?

Old 02-13-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Major brain fog caused by binge drinking?

Hi! I'm a 22 year old guy and been binge drinking every weekend since I was 17. Normal "schedule" was two days of the week wasted and 5 days sober, normally 15-20 doses per a night out. So around six years i've spent like this. The last 2-3 years I have been suffering from a constant brain fog (very bad short term memory, difficulty concentrating, even physical coordinating problems etc.), heavy sweating and hot flashed I also noticed that i started suffering from very hardcore anxiety after every binge episode, and the worst anxiety always lasted around a week after drinking, at this time the brain fog got also worse than usual.
Last march the anxiety got so bad that I decided to stop binging. For 3 months i only drank like three beers once a month. And around 3 month mark i suddenly started feeling mentally and physically great, my brain fog lifted and the hot flashes + sweating stopped, it was like taking an extacy pill that lasted forever. I hadn't felt this good for years. So I felt great for one month and the feeling got even better and better every day until I had a night out with heavy drinking for a long time. The day after all the symptoms came back and haven't lifted.

Have you guys experienced similar symptoms? Im now 70 days totally sober again and brain fog is still there, though I've had three moments of clarity lately when i noticed the brain fog lifting for a couple of hours and then coming back.

I've seen many doctors and done a great amount of testing including MRI and a lot of blood tests and everything came back normal, most of the doctors doesn't know what to do next. And when I mention my drinking they just say that with this amount of drinking they don't believe it to be the cause. Except a psychiatrist who i saw a week ago was confident that drinking has messed up my brain chemistry and it can take a long time to recover. He prescribed escitalopram for the anxiety and just told me to stay sober.

What do you guys think, have you experienced similar symptoms and if yes, how long did it take for the brain fog to lift? And how did it lift was it like a moment that u realized its gone or did it improve day by day?

Thank you for reading and answering!
Old 02-13-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I also want to add a fact that SOMETIMES, not always but like 50% of the times when i got drank the brain fog mysteriously lifted. First i thought it was just that alcohol decreased a social anxiety but now when i think it was like my brain could function normally again when i had alcohol in my blood flow. And again when the drunkness started changing to hangover the brain fog came back out of nowhere.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I drank for many years, the last few alcoholically before quitting. At 6 months there was indeed a moment where the veil lifted and clarity was regained. It was then I was convinced there could be brain recovery over the next months and maybe years.

The fog lifting coincided with relief from some dental issues and a round of antibiotics for an infection. I will never know if the two were related, but possibly.

In reading Under The Influence by Milam and Ketchum I learned quit a bit about the physiology of my drinking and recovery. There's a sticky located in the Alcoholism forum that share excerpts from the book - maybe it will be useful for you.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Ultimately, drinking will only make things worse and only time will tell how any one friend progresses........

Glad you're here
Old 02-13-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! It took me about six months before I started feeling 'sharp' again, tho I noticed improvements by three months.

Stay sober and your brain will heal. But no drinking! If you drink, you'll be right back at square one.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Want to give you a warm welcome to a incredibly supportive site no one will Jude you here & you don't have to do it alone congrats on day 70 which is excellent not sure if you have a plan or not so I'm including some links for you to read through

Nice to meet you btw

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 02-13-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Occasional binge drinking can actually be harder on your brain than drinking more frequently because you're putting yourself through a detox/withdrawal process each time you sober up for more than a few days.

The symptoms you describe, including the brain fog, are classic indicators of alcohol withdrawal. Each time you detox after a binge, you run the risk of those withdrawal symptoms becoming markedly worse through a process called "kindling." From your description of the way your symptoms have evolved, it sounds like you're already on the way.

The only sure cure is to stop drinking for good. You may continue to experience recurrence of brain fog and other symptoms for weeks or even months afterward, but if you want them to go away entirely, you have to be patient.

Not to be a fear-monger, but if you continue to drink, your next detox might feature severe complications such as seizure or delirium tremens (DTs). Alcoholism is progressive.

And yes, I have experienced all this first-hand. At nearly 3 years sober, my lingering withdrawal symptoms are about 99% gone. Although my timeline was a lot slower than most people's, it's a cautionary example of how much time it can take.

By the way, it doesn't surprise me that the doctors you've seen apparently aren't up on all this. They're required to assimilate a staggering amount of information about a huge number of health issues, and addiction-related issues take a back seat to the more common and urgent ones.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like the psychiatrist would know more about brain chemistry and how using alcohol can create an imbalance of certain brain chemicals, dopamine being one of them. I've experienced the brain fog and still do occasionally but I can second that time will bring the clarity back.

Once that clarity comes back watch out for the feelings of greatness cause it can make drinking a few beers sounds like an excellent idea. Its so easy to get caught up in feeling great that you think you can go back to how it once was. If that happens, remember to reflect on how bad you felt because of alcohol.

By the way, I'm 27 years old and 4 and a half months weed and alcohol free and my brain is barely starting to come around this past month. Exercise goes a long way, even if its 30 minutes of jogging 3 times a week or whatever. Proper diet goes a long way if you really give it a go and put some time into it. I know when I overeat or eat nothing but junk food (such as anything microwavable or any kind of fast good) I can feel very sluggish. Ive heard great things about juicing fruits and veggies and have been wanting to try it recently.

Keep up the good work and cone post here cause it's good for u
Old 02-13-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
Occasional binge drinking can actually be harder on your brain than drinking more frequently because you're putting yourself through a detox/withdrawal process each time you sober up for more than a few days.

The symptoms you describe, including the brain fog, are classic indicators of alcohol withdrawal. Each time you detox after a binge, you run the risk of those withdrawal symptoms becoming markedly worse through a process called "kindling." From your description of the way your symptoms have evolved, it sounds like you're already on the way.

The only sure cure is to stop drinking for good. You may continue to experience recurrence of brain fog and other symptoms for weeks or even months afterward, but if you want them to go away entirely, you have to be patient.

Not to be a fear-monger, but if you continue to drink, your next detox might feature severe complications such as seizure or delirium tremens (DTs). Alcoholism is progressive.

And yes, I have experienced all this first-hand. At nearly 3 years sober, my lingering withdrawal symptoms are about 99% gone. Although my timeline was a lot slower than most people's, it's a cautionary example of how much time it can take.

By the way, it doesn't surprise me that the doctors you've seen apparently aren't up on all this. They're required to assimilate a staggering amount of information about a huge number of health issues, and addiction-related issues take a back seat to the more common and urgent ones.
Thank you for this very informative reply! I have indeed noticed that the recovery gets even harder every time i binge and start "sobering" again. Last time of my attempt to quit at around 2 month mark my doctor prescribed me benzodiazepines for sleeping difficulties, after taking them I felt like the day after a drinking session, and felt like the recovery started all over again, could benzos affect brains a similar way like alcohol or something?

My psychiatrist also told me that there's some natural ways to speed up the recover of the brain from alcohol like nutritients and stuff, he promised to send me a list of them but he didn't. So if you guys know any tips to speed it up i'd be more than happy to know!

Also the doc mentioned about a medicine called low dose naltroxen that i might want to try to kind of "kickstart" the brain to start producing endorphines etc. have you guys heard of this?
Old 02-13-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberish View Post
Sounds like the psychiatrist would know more about brain chemistry and how using alcohol can create an imbalance of certain brain chemicals, dopamine being one of them. I've experienced the brain fog and still do occasionally but I can second that time will bring the clarity back.

Once that clarity comes back watch out for the feelings of greatness cause it can make drinking a few beers sounds like an excellent idea. Its so easy to get caught up in feeling great that you think you can go back to how it once was. If that happens, remember to reflect on how bad you felt because of alcohol.

By the way, I'm 27 years old and 4 and a half months weed and alcohol free and my brain is barely starting to come around this past month. Exercise goes a long way, even if its 30 minutes of jogging 3 times a week or whatever. Proper diet goes a long way if you really give it a go and put some time into it. I know when I overeat or eat nothing but junk food (such as anything microwavable or any kind of fast good) I can feel very sluggish. Ive heard great things about juicing fruits and veggies and have been wanting to try it recently.

Keep up the good work and cone post here cause it's good for u
Thanks for reply! I feel so relieved to hear that I'm on the right track and will eventually heal over time! I didn't find any information about brain fog and alcoholism in my own language by googling.

I think this is what happened after i had the one month brainfogless period half a year ago. I felt great and thought that "okay now im recovered why not take a couple of beers with my friends it cant do any harm". I ended up drinking around 12 doses which apparently triggered all the symptoms again.

When I was healthy I used to go to gym 5 times a week and play football etc I was very active person and made things happen. Now with this feeling I am struggling to get out of bed and sometimes I manage to push myself up to the gym and training feels like hell, i feel very weak and sweat like a pig even though i should be in an allright condition and my outlook is athletic. Ill try to go jogging a couple times a week, maybe its a better excercise at this point.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dodis View Post
I also want to add a fact that SOMETIMES, not always but like 50% of the times when i got drank the brain fog mysteriously lifted. First i thought it was just that alcohol decreased a social anxiety but now when i think it was like my brain could function normally again when i had alcohol in my blood flow. And again when the drunkness started changing to hangover the brain fog came back out of nowhere.
A famous "epistemologist" (Not sure I got that correct ... they study the "world view" of people) said that for the Alcoholic there is something so wrong with how they view the world that alcohol makes it seem better. that struck me as true to my experience.

That sort of explains the impact of drinking on me. Even my doctor has said that it makes physical symptoms temporarily better (shakes, high blood pressure, nausea, etc.) But ultimately it rebounds worse when I go off the alcohol.

I am still seeking help to maintain some real long term sobriety, but your post struck a nerve with me on some of what I'm trying to work through to get to this.

Thanks for posting!

Nands
Old 02-13-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Dodis

This link has some common sense suggestions on what you can do to deal with brain fog and other post withdrawal symptoms.

PAWS | Digital Dharma

I though the main element is time - things will get better, but they will take a while, no matter what you do.

I hope thats not a cause for alarm.

I drank for 20 years, a lot of that time a binger - although it took several months for me to feel right, it was but a drop in the ocean to the years I'd spent drinking

D
Old 02-13-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Dodis,

I drank longer than you have been alive. Binged, like you off and on.

The answer to your problem is.....quit.

Booze is addictive. The brain damage is progressive.

Every time you drink you refill the fog generater and deaden your brain.

As the fog generator gets low, the brain starts to recover. But, during the recovery you feel anxiety. That is the ...I could use a drink feeling.... all drinkers get.

Keep drinking, keep feeling the anxiety.

Stop drinking...it goes away. You heal. You start back towards a healthy life.

I felt the fog lift at times during my recovery. I believe the clarity, at times, came during little adrenaline rushes. E.g. working out. The clarity got more and more frequent as my clean days increased. Today, I am clear.

Over 9 months clean for me, and I am just getting out of the woods.

But, I crave. The crave will be there forever. The anxiety is nothing compared to 6 months ago.

Alcohol is poison. Don't believe the hype.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think benzodiazepines can be much like acholic from what ive read. Many people have experienced PAWS (post accute withdrawal syndrome) which can include brain fog, after taking those for a long time and then quitting.

I think D's right when he says the biggest healer is time.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I'm still dealing with it myself, this early into my recovery.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm feeling like opening up a little bit now because this has been one of those worse days.

Woke up feeling very tired and stronger headache than usual, feels like a rubber band around my skull. I have shut myself inside my house for the last 2 months. I know that I should activate myself and do stuff instead of sitting home alone but i just don't feel like doing anything. This brain fog drains all drive off me. I don't have any feelings of enthusiasm or motivation which could make me do things. Also I don't want to present myself around my friends like this cause Im not able to communicate normally and Im very boring company at the moment. My emotions are numb and I cannot get any feelings of pleasure + super tired throughout the day.
Its driving me crazy, just if this brainfog would lift I would be allright. It did once when i had been around 75 days sober and after that i felt great. Now Im again at 70 days and no improvements in mental clarity. I'm expecting it to lift at around that magical 75 days but if it doesn't, I'm sure that im gonna feel desperate.

I'm thinking should i just go to see another doctor and try to get tested for some disease or something even though i've seen 4 docs already and done a big list of testings, all came back normal. It doens't really leave me any other option for my symptoms than the alcohol. I'm still thinking that maybe theres something that we didn't test and im sitting home and waiting for a miracle happen. Maybe this is all some kind of subconscious thinking that my mind doesn't want to admit that alcohol is the cause. But i hate the feeling when I feel like this and there is nothing that i can do about it.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Give yourself more sober time to settle down and get back to normal functioning. It can take months for the healing to start.

Just stay sober!
Old 02-15-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I also have these symptoms:
Constant ringing in the ears
Heart beat is very strong, not fast but strong, I can feel it in my whole body all the time.
Eyes burning and sensitive to light

Does these sound like alcohol withdrawal symptoms aswell?
Old 02-15-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

At 70 days sober, you're no longer in withdrawal. It could be PAWS. If it worries you, ask your doctor about it.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dodis
all those things are familiar to me - but as least says if it's worrying you, see your Dr, or another one.

Are you mentally and physically active? that goes a long way to helping I think?

D
Old 02-15-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey d122y

But, I crave. The crave will be there forever.
I couldn't help comment on this. The crave is not there for me anymore.

Don't underestimate the power of recovery

D