Notices

Newbie here

Old 02-11-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie here

Hi.

I had planned that today would be day 1, but after browsing here a bit I realised I didn't really have a good plan, so now 2-15-16, Monday, is my new day 1 while I take a few days to prepare. I'm pretty sure I'll be just as lame and guilt-ridden then.

Ok, so, ...a plan. I'm pretty sure a 3-ring binder will not be paid any attention to whatsoever in the throes of giving up alcohol, and I love binders and paper and pencils and stickers and...I digress . I'm thinking sticky notes. (See?) Lot's of sticky notes everywhere I go, including my computer, lots of time on this forum, possibly a journal, whatever I want to eat and do for the first week as conpensation, plus whatever else you guys suggest.

(I know, I'm not really giving up anything but poison, but me and my poison are buds. Yes, I know he's not really my friend but, shhh, don't poke him, he's still beating on me and I don't want him to know my plan.)

How do I know if I am a candidate for a bad time with withdrawal?

I'm going up against big odds, but I have a little hope that I will overcome it now, with this site and a good plan. I have to.

ThanX

Old 02-11-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us!

Yes, having a plan is important and I'm glad you're working on one, but you can still stop drinking today. Withdrawals from alcohol can be tricky and if you're concerned, talking to your dr would be helpful.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Why wait til Monday to get sober? There's no time like the present to get things done.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The first go around back in 2014 when I quit, I was drinking pretty heavily (5-6 stout vodkas a night). My withdrawals consisted of shakes, slight hallucinations (not bad), complete inability to sleep, bad anxiety and coordination issues. However, most of that resolved within a week. Had I to do it over again, I would've tapered over a few weeks just given that high volume of drinking I was doing.

But like Anna said, if you have any doubts talk to your doctor first. I later learned that, unlike other drugs/substances, alcohol is water based and therefore gets out of your system fairly quickly; that sets up the shock to your system that can be so dangerous.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome Xcess
Old 02-11-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to a great place, Xcess. We're a friendly group who really understand & want to help.

I had used alcohol to cope with life - or so I thought. It really did nothing but create more anxiety and misery. What was once fun and relaxing became a horrible habit that I couldn't break without support. SR helped me find the courage to change my life. You're never alone. Glad you are here.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi Xcess, I'm curious about why you need to wait until Monday to implement your plan? This last time around I quit and planned simultaneously and that worked way better than planning in advance. See the problem with the planning for Monday thing is that it went like this:

"I'm sick of this. I'm definitely going to quit on Monday. So I'd better get my drinking in this weekend because that's going to be it."

Monday rolls around and I'm so hungover and miserable that by afternoon I'm thinking, "I am so uncomfortable and also I might develop problems from suddenly stopping after drinking so much, so I'll just get a half pint. Yeah that'll be good and then tomorrow, I'll be so much better I can quit then."

Tuesday comes and in the morning I think, "See? So much better. I can think straight now and am in so much less misery. That was really smart of me. Now I'm in good shape to quit." By Tuesday afternoon, I'm thinking "A half pint isn't so bad. If I could just keep it to a half, I'd be soooo much better than I was last week. I can cut it off altogether later."

By Wednesday, I figure I'm so close to the weekend that I might as well quite Monday. Because, after all, I've already drank half the week away!

And the cycle begins again.
Ad nauseum.

Something to consider while you plan.

And I'm glad you joined us, as well!
Old 02-11-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad you found SR!
Old 02-11-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Anna, Least, Oblahdi,

Because several people said if you don't have a plan you fail.

I don't plan to fail.

I can't do this anymore:

Plus, I've read the more times you try, the harder it is, why add another unsuccessful attempt?

X
Old 02-11-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"I'm sick of this. I'm definitely going to quit on Monday. So I'd better get my drinking in this weekend because that's going to be it."

I felt this so many times. Alright I'm determined but I can't let the weekend slip away so I'm going to get f&%$@d up. Literally those where my exact thoughts word for word letter for letter. Live it up one more time...

Well that thinking kept delaying the inevitable downfall. Maybe that wont happen to everyone but it has happened to others as well. What's the difference between quitting now versus Monday? A party? A bet together with friends at the bar? Your renting a movie so want to drink?
Old 02-11-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think my planning is going to help me succeed this time.

X
Old 02-11-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Here is a very good link to a thread on formulating a plan, Xcess:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...highlight=psst
Old 02-11-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Smile

"You can plan plans but not results". Old AA proverb when I used to attend.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Xcess

Like others have said a good plan is essential but you can quit drinking while you make one

If you're planning to drink over the weekend, I really hope you change your mind.

Sometimes 'Monday morning' never arrives - or it does and you feel so crappy after a weekend of boozing that you think 'oh well Tuesdays still good...'

before you know it it's Easter and you're promising yourself to give up right after that....

Rip the band aid off - start today!

D
Old 02-11-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am glad you are here. I hope this works for you, and we will all be here to support you in any way we can. There are online journals that are really nice, and free. Google penzu Journal. I really like it. It is nice to have a place to put down your thoughts. We have an online meeting at 8 pm central time. It is in our chat room. Great place to spend Friday night. I am wishing you well and glad you are here.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome, lots of good advice here already.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are here too and hope my emoticon did not look sour. I learnt a lot of good stuff in AA.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow, that is my same plan..on Monday the 15th I will start anew. What a joke, right? Sounds like we are on the same ridiculous page. All the best, though. This is my first post.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Really glad you've made a decision to rid your life of alcohol excess!! My life is FAR better without it & know it will be for you too! Don't wait till Monday, get a jump start & start tomorrow!!
Old 02-11-2016, 09:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It doesn't need to take all weekend to make a simple plan (and simple is best here). I love stationary as well, but it isn't really necessary either - but by all means treat yourself to some. Maybe that could be your treat instead of drinking this weekend? But the things that I believe that we need most to get sober and start recovering are Honesty; Acceptance; and Willingness. And you can't buy those anywhere.

Honesty to admit (to yourself) when you are procrastinating ; rationalising; blaming; and if / when you are planning a relapse (commonly misconstrued as fantasising about taking a drink, and then the next minute we're left wondering why / how we got drunk)

Acceptance that it's the first drink that does the damage, and that alcohol is not, in fact, our treasure, but a turd wrapped in shiny paper.

Willingness to take action. Willingness to do things that maybe we don't want to do that will help us stay sober. Willingness to take responsibility for our own sobriety - whether it's a bad day; a good day; Saturday; Xmas; our birthday; Valentines ; the dog died; the car blew up; you got the sack - whatever.

Not sure where you're based, but maybe check out the support groups where you live. I've only used AA, and that is working well for me. But there are various other options.