Notices

First *sober* request for help

Old 02-11-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First *sober* request for help

I had the tendency to drink and then post. Didn't work out so well.

So, day 2. Hangover fading. Sadly, desire to drink coming up again. It's weird how, as soon the nightmarish hangover goes away, I want to drink again.

Actually. No. I don't want to drink. I will not do it. I look at it very differently now than previous times. In my mind, drinking is not an option. I don't want to, I hate it, I never want to do it again.

In that context, the desire is beginning and I know it will build up. Whatever happens, I will not give in.

But I'm scared of the craving. How do I deal with it? And what is it really? A desire to drink based on something deeper or just my body, being used to alcohol, signalling that it's missing?
Old 02-11-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

First of all, you've got to take drinking off the table as an option. Sobriety has to be your number one priority.

When I was in early recovery and had cravings to drink, I would do something to occupy myself, like walking my dogs.

After you've been sober for a while, the cravings will subside.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi Mike-

Glad to see you posting sober!!!

All I can suggest is what worked for me. That is, I don't drink no matter what. I read the book, 'Kick The Drink, Easily' by Jason Vale, which I downloaded the minute I heard about it, read once and made my decision to never drink again.

The cravings are thoughts, that's it. Sure they seem powerful and insurmountable- but they aren't. You have the power to push through by keeping yourself busy, changing up your routine and you will find what works for you.

I also spent, and still spend, a lot of time reading here in SR. I listened, and still listen to the people who have what I want....a sober life. I believed them when they said it gets better, if- and only if, I accept that drinking is never an option.

You can do this!
Old 02-11-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Remember it's a poison. The only thing it's going to do for you is make you numb and dull short term.
Hydrate and drink lots of water. Like least said, occupy your mind with something else. Walking really helps me.
You can do it!
Old 02-11-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

But I'm scared of the craving. How do I deal with it? And what is it really? A desire to drink based on something deeper or just my body, being used to alcohol, signalling that it's missing?
Eat something if you haven't.
I found my body doesn't care for me going long periods of time without food.
I used to confuse craving a beer with hunger or thirst. 100% of the time I had NO craving after eating. Can't hurt to try that, either way.
PS - Former moderator Carol used to often talk about sugar cravings and hyper(o?)glycemic diets/healthy eating. It's rarely mentioned these days on here which is a shame...I think I see most often using similar thing like HALT.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mike,

Go to an AA meeting. You need to be somewhere safe. Alone, inside your head, with cravings, is NOT safe. When I first got sober I sat in 3-4 AA meetings a day because it was the only place I felt safe. It kept me sober for a few months until I got over the cravings.

My best to you.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's really helpful. I've gotten to the point that drinking truly isn't an option.

I found a good way to deal with the craving for now: I'm watching the first documentary ZeldaFan posted and although I'm only 5 minutes into it, it has evened my out my craving considerably.

And I have to shower, clean my place a bit. And I suppose the only way to deal with the craving is to accept that it's there until it goes away.

And God, I'm so much looking forward to a normal life.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you heard of HALT?

Do you have a plan?

There are things like urge surfing and playing the tape.

The latter helped a lot. Another thing that really helped was changing my routine. Go work out, groceries, a movie... Whatever so that the craving will pass. Go to bed early. Flex your sober muscles and it will be easier with time. Eat something sweet, that also helped.

You can do this Mike. Remember what YOU want!!!
Old 02-11-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So far, I really like the SOBER MIKE.

Keep it up.

There's no secret magical incantation. That desire or craving or upwelling sense of a need to drink is going to happen. What you need to change is not 'stopping that from happening' - it's simple 'how will you respond to it'.

Up to now, your consistent response is "give in, and drink.... then regret it".

Make a choice today that your response is going to be different. SO.... what is your response for today?

Will you go to an AA meeting? Will you read the Big Book? Will you go to the gym? Will you take a walk? Five walks? Will you make a list of all the reasons you don't want to drink today? Will you experiment with meditation? Will you break out your guitar and learn something new on it?

There are an infinite number of potential alternatives to "give in and drink" that you can choose from. ANY of them can be helpful at this stage. Choose a specific response or two, for today, and focus on those.

Small changes have big results.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I haven't heard of HALT but will look it up. I did come across something like playing the tape though. It's where you play the scenario of drinking all the way through, right? When I do that now, there's no way I want to drink!

I tried to read the documents in Dee's thread on making a plan but my brain is too fuzzy to focus. So I'm going for the visual things first, like the documentaries. They're easier to follow.

AA is certainly an option, but I'm a little paranoid about people seeing me go there. But in the end, sobriety is more important.

I need to do something active. I think I'm actually going to do some push ups. It's been far too long since I got some proper exercise.

And I'm going to find a club where I can exercise. A long time ago, someone recommended Crossfit to me. That seems like fun.

I'm already shifting out of the focus on the craving.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

And I suppose the only way to deal with the craving is to accept that it's there until it goes away.
Accepting that it is there and knowing that it is just a feeling that will pass is definitely important. But that's not the only thing you can do to deal with it, far from it.

From an immediate ( today ) standpoint you could do a lot of things. As someone suggested, going to an AA meeting would be a good choice. You could also seek help from an outpatient or inpatient rehab/detox facility. Or you could call an alcohol/drug counselor. Or see your doctor. The physical withdrawal stage is short but intense...make sure you have the help you need.

From a long term view, cravings come from a far deeper place than simply the physical need to drink alcohol. As an addict we view ( incorrectly ) alcohol as an escape mechanism from our daily responsibilities. Life presents us with challenges each and every day and that will never change. A long term sobriety plan is really a life plan - it teaches us healthy ways to face the challenges we face and to actually face them, rather than running and hiding in a bottle or beer can.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

What to do in times of urges & cravings: doing what your doing now reaching out sober before you go and drink so you get that all important 2nd opinion not to throw your sobriety away

Use D's cravings & urgesurfing links which have saved many a sobriety

you can find them and other useful links here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html

And links designed specifically for a sobriety plan here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

Now for the fundamentals: for the next 24h you can take alcohol off the menu, if cravings strike reach out, in the meantime get involved in threads like the classes the 24h thread gratitude thread newcomer threads youl see people going through the exact same thing your going through

The most important aspect is for you to accept your alcoholism mike this is your life its up to you how you choose to live it I can be a friend & offer advice if asked but its up to you I know I was finished with living that way because the longer I'm sober the more I can see how I wasnt actually living

Good luck
Old 02-11-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks!

I read your reply and meditation jumped out at me. I once started practicing and it really felt good. I guess I'll pick up where I left off.

And I really do need to build some activities in my life. That will help.

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
So far, I really like the SOBER MIKE.

Keep it up.

There's no secret magical incantation. That desire or craving or upwelling sense of a need to drink is going to happen. What you need to change is not 'stopping that from happening' - it's simple 'how will you respond to it'.

Up to now, your consistent response is "give in, and drink.... then regret it".

Make a choice today that your response is going to be different. SO.... what is your response for today?

Will you go to an AA meeting? Will you read the Big Book? Will you go to the gym? Will you take a walk? Five walks? Will you make a list of all the reasons you don't want to drink today? Will you experiment with meditation? Will you break out your guitar and learn something new on it?

There are an infinite number of potential alternatives to "give in and drink" that you can choose from. ANY of them can be helpful at this stage. Choose a specific response or two, for today, and focus on those.

Small changes have big results.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Accepting that it is there and knowing that it is just a feeling that will pass is definitely important. But that's not the only thing you can do to deal with it, far from it.

From an immediate ( today ) standpoint you could do a lot of things. As someone suggested, going to an AA meeting would be a good choice. You could also seek help from an outpatient or inpatient rehab/detox facility. Or you could call an alcohol/drug counselor. Or see your doctor. The physical withdrawal stage is short but intense...make sure you have the help you need.

From a long term view, cravings come from a far deeper place than simply the physical need to drink alcohol. As an addict we view ( incorrectly ) alcohol as an escape mechanism from our daily responsibilities. Life presents us with challenges each and every day and that will never change. A long term sobriety plan is really a life plan - it teaches us healthy ways to face the challenges we face and to actually face them, rather than running and hiding in a bottle or beer can.
When I think about it now, I think I will go back to CBT. I've made tremendous progress with it in the past, but at the time I didn't realize I wasn't done yet. So making an appointment would be a good option.

And yeah, it's exactly as you say. It was a way to escape from my daily responsibilities. Those responsibilities piled up though. There's no escaping from them. Just dealing with them.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

H.A.L.T. Hungry. Angry. Lonely. Tired.

Every time I feel a craving. I go through those 4 factors. Inevitably, I am experiencing one or more of them. And addressing them always helps reduce or eliminate the craving.

Thanks for posting. It is really good to have you back. And sober.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi mike!

I'm so happy to hear that you are sober. That has made my day Congrats on day 2!

You are right that cravings will be expected. I think everyone here has had to deal with them... they are horrible I like the advice you've had so far and your plans to stay busy. I find a nice hot bath with a glass of fizzy water helps, I've had more baths since I got sober than I have in the last 2 years!

I find that the 24 hour recovery thread here helps. Being around other people who are committing to stay sober one day at a times really nice. Plus they have cake every night which is awesome
Old 02-11-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just posted there. It's a great thread!

Originally Posted by mcflurry View Post
Hi mike!

I'm so happy to hear that you are sober. That has made my day Congrats on day 2!

You are right that cravings will be expected. I think everyone here has had to deal with them... they are horrible I like the advice you've had so far and your plans to stay busy. I find a nice hot bath with a glass of fizzy water helps, I've had more baths since I got sober than I have in the last 2 years!

I find that the 24 hour recovery thread here helps. Being around other people who are committing to stay sober one day at a times really nice. Plus they have cake every night which is awesome
Old 02-11-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good to hear that! Me too. Lovely group of people who run that thread. I look forward to seeing you there tomorrow
Old 02-11-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yay you! Keep going.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

And I suppose the only way to deal with the craving is to accept that it's there until it goes away.
I think this is really key, Mike, because the cravings do go away ... they come and go, usually fairly quickly. Accepting that they'll show up, and remembering they'll also pass, really helps. The craving doesn't actually have any real power, it just wants you to think it does. If you don't drink no matter what, it quiets down.

Glad to see you here.