Notices

Guiltless Weekender Feb 12

Old 02-11-2016, 12:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Thumbs up Guiltless Weekender Feb 12

Feelings of guilt are like our own personal time preservers. It's my addictive voices way of establishing a continuity of fear in me.

When I first tried to stay sober I would fail every few days or even sooner. The moment I could see straight guilt set in, followed by fear I would drink again. Certainly that's not new to anyone here.

But something happens when you start to string sober days or weeks or months together.

A guiltless mind does not suffer.

Stop listening to your AV this weekend. Ignore him or her and spend it guiltlessly with us here. Give your mind a rest. Take a moment to disengage from fear.

I cannot help but continue to love the words associated to *Ring Ring* - Thank you Mecanix. They help me so much in letting go of the stress. Letting go of the guilt. Reminding myself to relax.

“The first bell is the bell of mindfulness, calling to me and you.

It says stop what am i doing right now, take some breaths, feel my body, am I holding it tight and tense? Relax… calm down… life is a journey and not a destination, make the journey as glorious as possible.

The second bell is the freedom bell and I'm ringing it for you to let you know freedom from drink and drugs is available to you, come and hear us calling out to you.”

Welcome to your guiltless sober weekend!!!

K

Old 02-11-2016, 12:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun,
Old 02-11-2016, 12:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Shotgun
Attached Images
File Type: png
image.png (4.7 KB, 144 views)
Old 02-11-2016, 12:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats Lunar!!!! Double Barrel this week?

I could not sleep but now that I wrote a bit I need to nap before I officially get up for the day.

JS is going to be a bit annoyed that I posted so early and she missed shotgun.

See you later!

K
Old 02-11-2016, 12:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for waking me up, again Ken.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Shotgun ( lalalala) * covers ears*

Dammit.
I slept with my neighbour again.

He has a sexy new Australian roommate moving in ( they both work at the ski hill)
He told me he was super happy that the Ozzie was moving in; because that means lots of parties and lots of girls.
I asked if he was trying to make me jealous...
He said that he was.
I started to say " but we're not a thing I'm not jeal,,,"
He put his hand over my mouth and said " Shhh I can tell you're upset, let me hold you"
Hahaha- oh man we started laughing really hard - he said he prefers to pretend I have feelings and that I was upset and jealous.
He's ridiculous! But cute.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done on shotgun lunar * cough cough*
But awesome avatar!!!
Old 02-11-2016, 12:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you Ken I love your intro's to every thread I'm in
Old 02-11-2016, 12:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Living sober means I don't have to carry that heavy load of guilt around with me anymore. I am free!
Old 02-11-2016, 01:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Edit- said too much i think
Old 02-11-2016, 01:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Same thing
Old 02-11-2016, 01:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

funny thing bout SR JS.... Once it's there it's there. That 15 minute window is short. I don't think you said too much.

Ok. Dammit.... Officially up for the day. Might as well go make a coffee and read a bit.

*sigh*
Old 02-11-2016, 01:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm on. Great theme this weekend K - many thanks.

Someone said to me once, "Guilt is a lesson never learnt". My understanding of this is that holding onto guilt means we have not learnt from our past experiences and therefore doomed to repeat them.

I know the following is a cliché, but I agree with the idea that holding onto anger and grudges is like drinking a poison in order to hurt those that have wronged you.

Maybe guilt is the same? It is an angry feeling directed at the self that we hold onto in order to punish ourselves, which drinking or taking drugs both masks fleetingly and amplifies in the long term.

In my humble opinion, maybe we can work at moving beyond guilt by learning, becoming more self aware and making changes in our lives. I think it is also important for us to distinguish between guilt and shame. Guilt is connected to responsibility, whereas shame is how we internalise affronts to the self.

Well done Lunar on shotgun and sorry you did not make it JS!!!

Have a great day all!!!

B
Old 02-11-2016, 01:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Aw I could have made shotgun if I wasn't so distracted in town by the queue for Bruce Springsteen tickets.
Congratulations Lunar
I hope you all have a nice day.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tetra.... They just added another cpncert date for Bruce. I have the app for Irish times on my iPad and it just popped up!
Old 02-11-2016, 01:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well said Mr. B.

Guilt and shame go hand in hand and something that is posted about a lot on SR. I had many posts when I was in full blown pain.

But this weekend I wanted to highlight for the new folks that guilt is not something that we need carry day to day. It takes work. A lot of work for me to let it go. I do that by treating myself good. Being kind to myself. Giving to others.

Thanks for the insight B!
Old 02-11-2016, 03:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey all ,
Working form home today to sit down and try and understand some code , may as well do it where i have de-cafe tea and can keep the cat company.. better than a draughty old fibreglass building

Hope everyone is prepped ready for the weekend , the urges will come , what you gonna do about them ? Make sober the easy option .

Thanks for the topic K , i think no matter where in sobriety we find ourselves resentments/regrets/guilt can be toxic and we have to deal with them healthily.

For me i do try to live life one day at a time, one of the best bits of wisdom shared with me by my AA friends .

Take care , m
Old 02-11-2016, 03:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I am in!

Had a crazy busy day yesterday, up early for clinicals, then class. Got a 100 for my presentation though! And paper is finally submitted! Had to drive home in a white out - nothing like 60 miles at 5-15mph, but I made it, and so am grateful, as a lot of car were spun out along the way. I used my strategy of just follow the one in front of you!

Absolutely exhausted today, probably as home so late with the weather. Have clinicals again today, up and dressed but really just want to go back to bed - was secretly hoping son's school would be closed, but no such luck for me! Oh well, I have a long weekend off at least, I think tomorrow will be spent catching up on sleep!
Old 02-11-2016, 04:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!

Guilt - I could write a book. But I'll restrain myself. More thoughts after coffee.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I'm on!

Nice post Ken