Notices

Got flight upgrade ... nervous

Old 02-10-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got flight upgrade ... nervous

I posted earlier about being concerned with relapse when traveling on business. I booked a commuter flight (no first class, no drink service) and a hotel with no bar / restaurant. So far so good.

Just got notification I was upgraded to first class on my second (longer) leg tomorrow. Ugh. Familiar 'thrill' thinking of free alcohol followed by pure panic. I have done really well so far, lots of cravings in the first couple weeks - a couple of fleeting thoughts, but worked out a plan to get through. 25 days!

I truly don't want to drink tomorrow. I just flat don't.

Any words of wisdom for the flight? Maybe I commit a random act of kindness and swap my seat with another passenger?
Old 02-10-2016, 06:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by dogslover2016 View Post
Maybe I commit a random act of kindness and swap my seat with another passenger?
That sounds like a great idea.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, swap your seat; maybe you will see someone with crutches or someone elderly with whom to swap.

Great job on 25 sober days; keep building those days.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
p***enger

There's no reason why you need to take an upgrade that's offered. Stand up for (or squeeze into) your recovery!
Old 02-10-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

They can't make you drink in first class. Don't ask for drink and if they offer you one, decline. Like you said, you dont want to drink tomorrow.

So don't.

Stay strong.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I too struggled with this. The trick is to get through the first few trips sober by any means necessary. You will find you like it better, but it may take a little while and a few trips to build new habits when traveling. Trick is to play the tape forward. Would you really stop after a few in first class? Likely not, it would start the beast again and you would wind up back where you started. You can do this. I know it is a tough one though with airports and planes, seems like there is nothing else to do. But trust me, you will not miss it if you just stay strong for a few trips. You will feel so much better with no regrets. Ironically I just got home tonight from a business trip. I used to have some very regretful trips, but am now 18 months sober. It got easier my friend, please trust me on this. A better life awaits you. Be strong.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep the seat. Order a ginger ale and sit back and enjoy the flight.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Swapping the seat with someone who looks like they would enjoy or need it sounds like a great idea

D
Old 02-10-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Handicapped, elderly, pregnant or military are good candidates to swap seats with.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Your idea of swapping seats is great and I agree....handicapped, elderly, pregnant or to thank a serviceman/servicewoman is a great idea. And, you get good Karma points too. Stay strong.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It can be done - I've done it myself.

Order a club soda with lime or a ginger ale. Then ask for seconds (or thirds) on the warm cookies! If there's in-flight wifi, stay tuned to SR or any other recovery sites. If you're still worried, then give your seat to someone else. A random act of kindness is far better than any first class seat.

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

All good ideas. Swap. Don't swap. Do what feels right. Whatever happens you don't gotta drink. Bring a sugary snack. Order your ginger ale and do the crossword. You got this.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I flew more than I can tell ya. First Class Int'l would be much more of a challenge to me *early in* than a Domestic Flight.

Consider 'disappearing' into your own lil World. An iPod for familiar Music. A Tablet. An absorbing Book...

In the current Mindset of Business Folks not getting hammered much anymore, there's reasonable odds you'll sit beside a non-Drinker.

IF you're comfortable doing so, spin some BS. Tell the Flight Attendant you can't drink due to pending Surgery. Or, whatever... You'll have an instant, sympathetic Ally. Why? Flight Attendants have dealt with so much miserable crapola from Drunks. most will welcome helping out someone not drinking. As I do now at Bars, engage them. Ask for their advice about a novel, non-Alcoholic Drink they could suggest.

You got this!
Old 02-10-2016, 11:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Best of luck with your decision
Old 02-11-2016, 12:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just because you're in first class doesn't mean you have to drink. Tell them you can't drink and ask for a soft drink.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello and thanks!!!

Thanks guys! You're the best. I love feeling so understood.

I'm in first class awaiting take off (had to race to make the flight so no time to scope out the crowd).

It's morning so easier. Coffee and the guilty pleasure I bought last night - a Krispy Kreme donut (my sweet tooth on overdrive since I quit the alcohol). Seat mate ordered Bloody Mary but I'm just fine.

Play the tape forward. Yes- I wouldn't stop at drinking on the plane. I would continue throughout the day - internal prep meetings so nothing customer facing. In the past I would have had a bag of wine in my checked suitcase and sneak back to my hotel room periodically throughout the day.

Indeed - play the tape forward.

How in the world did I think I was fooling anyone?!!! Good gracious.

Thankful for another sober day, my donut and the sunrise
Old 02-11-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This has happened to me many times in sobriety.

Guess what?

It turns out, being comfortable and waited on is just as lovely when you're ordering water or 7-up as it is when you're slurping down poison.

No.... I take that back.

It's way better.

Keep the seat, enjoy it, show yourself that "first class" doesn't have to mean "drunk".
Old 02-11-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That happened to a friend of mine in recovery. He outed himself to his seatmate. He said "I really want to a drink but I shouldn't." And the guy next to him said "Why not?" My friend said "Because I'll lose my wife, my house, my kids, my job, my dog..." and his seatmate said "Yeah, better stick to water, pal!" Sometimes outing ourselves helps!
Old 02-11-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

here's the other thing..... if you're going to drink on an airplane - it doesn't matter what seat you're in. They'll serve you in seat 36D, middle seat by the toilet.

You can do it. Enjoy your upgrade.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Do they offer wifi?
If they do you can spend time on here..

You can concentrate on your business you're going to to be doing.
If that doesn't sound appealing read a book you've been wanting to read.
Idle time is not a good thing in early recovery.