Notices

Here's something

Old 02-10-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here's something

Make a small change... just a small one.

Lately I've been struggling with energy, drinking too much caffeine, not sleeping enough, stressing a lot due to work.

The small change I made was to get up and take the dogs for a walk, first thing. Instead of going right to the coffeepot, right to the computer, right to the phone, etc - I get up, put on warm clothes and take two very appreciative hounds out for a nice stroll in the morning darkness.

It's quiet out there in the snow at 5am. Nobody is out yet. It's just us and the stillness and the fresh air. The dogs are thrilled. My body starts the day in movement. I'm out in the embrace of nature, the universe, the touch of the wind, sometimes the twinkle of the stars.

It's not as daunting as hauling myself out for a run or something more draining or involved. Just a walk. But then the walk becomes a moving meditation. The walk becomes a communing with spirit. The walk replaces immediately jumping into stress.

So I come back from this simple change, a simply changed person. I'm feeling awake and invigorated. I don't crave the coffee so much. I drink much less as a result. I have a healthy small breakfast and some water. My body thanks me. Instead of going right into deficit and dehydration, I go into nurturing and hydration.

And now I feel better about myself. I've given something to my dogs. I've accomplished something. I've given my heart and my lungs and my circulatory system and my muscles some movement and cleansing. My lymph system is active. I'm already healthier than when I awoke.

I'm also in the frame of mind of health because of it... and so each day I've eaten healthier all day. Each day, later in the day, I"ve gone for a run or to the gym. I've had more energy, accomplished more this week than in a normal week for the past several months. Been a little more relaxed.

At night I've gone to bed feeling a little fuller, a little happier, a little more physically solid, despite being tired.

And all of this because I made one really small change. It was just one simple shift... but it flowed on to effect lots of other things in my life. I didn't have to list all those other things and try to check them off like a to-do list or a set of scary daunting goals. I just picked ONE small thing, focused on that.... and the other stuff happened.

It's like that with change. Sometimes, we just need to start somewhere... somewhere small.... focus on that.... and things start to happen.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Another great post, FreeOwl; it's amazing how one little change can have a huge impact on our perspective and health.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Extremely motivating and inspiring Freeowl...thank you x
Old 02-10-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That sounds so lovely and a special time in your day.

I also became victim to the coffee pot and computer first thing in the morning and made a small change as well..
The first thing I do is drink two full glasses of water ...surprising how this simple change has made me feel....
Old 02-10-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I always enjoy my dog walks. I get such a kick out of watching the dogs checking and sending peemails.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff FO