Notices

Day 8

Old 02-10-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8

Things are going well, I'm really excited and really thankful. I know I can't ever take a drink again or I'll be back on the road to death.

I was amazed at the stories I've read. I thought I was the only person who's had such a terrible struggle...it turns out my story is pretty typical.

My S/O doesn't know the depth of my problem. I don't want to drink on Valentines Day, but I'm afraid I'll say, "okay, I'll have just one beer." Right now that's the darkest cloud on the horizon.

I just couldn't be any happier about the decision I've made to stay sober.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 8 days sober and welcome to the family.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Eight days is AWESOME!

It looks as if you haven't posted here much. Here's a couple good threads to join:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5789211

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5789095
Old 02-10-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi Outonthetiles congrats on 8 days!
Old 02-10-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats! Keep linking the days together. One after another.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Outonthetiles keep it up man! Stay close to this site especially during times you know you might be tempted. You would be amazed at how much reading some stories will help.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 8!!!

Maybe a romantic Valentine's Day dinner at home?
Old 02-10-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
My S/O doesn't know the depth of my problem. I don't want to drink on Valentines Day, but I'm afraid I'll say, "okay, I'll have just one beer." Right now that's the darkest cloud on the horizon.
I get that. But it's the first skill you gotta learn: You don't drink at a party, in a bar, wine with dinner, not a single sip of a champagne toast, decline any and every drop of alcohol even if somebody has already paid for it just especially for you. If your sweetheart hands you a $200 bottle of wine as a gift, hand it right back.

It's a Zero Tolerance zone. Not one drop, ever. Not drinking alcohol is more important than anything else in the world right now. Valentine's Day must be 100% alcohol-free and based on what you said, I'd recommend you not even be in its presence. Some folks can stay sober around it and others can't but if you think there's the slightest chance you might be tempted...don't be around it! And by the way, this is WAY WAY WAY more important than having a good Valentine's Day.

If you go into the day even slightly entertaining the thought that you "might" drink just this one last time, odds are good you'll be right back drinking again. So set your mind firmly now -- no booze on Valentine's Day.

Offer a romantic dinner you prepare yourself, along with a massage and pedicure performed by your own gifted hands.

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, soberin syracuse, this is exactly what I needed to hear. I know myself, and this is the first time I've realized that I just can't have any alcohol if I expect to live. I'm worried about feeling confident enough by Sunday to risk a beer..it's just been too easy to say yes in the past, and frankly, I don't have any tools other than my resolve that I can't even have one beer.

I want to add that I'm really happy right now. I feel like I'm starting over in life..who knew such a simple, obvious (yet difficult) decision about sobriety could make such a huge difference in my life. I know, I know..it's the honeymoon stage!
Old 02-10-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It might be a good idea to confide in your SO about how hard you're working on this. You might get some welcome support, and if not, at least you will have been honest about your situation regarding alcohol.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you are happy now, you need to hold onto that, and remember that you are happy because you are sober.

What prompted you to quit drinking?
Old 02-10-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, outonthetiles; glad you found us.

Coldfusion posted some really links to some really great threads.

Start thinking about what you will drink instead of beer on Valentine's Day. Pick up some sparkling water(some lemons and limes) or your favorite soda.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

8 days - that is wonderful, Out.

Yes, the 'just one beer' thing doesn't work for us. The last time I told myself that, it took me years to get my sobriety back. You're doing great, and we're proud of you.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
If you are happy now, you need to hold onto that, and remember that you are happy because you are sober.

What prompted you to quit drinking?
I realized I was getting to the end of my tether...I was becoming nonfunctional. I was reeeaaally tired of living a lie and being secretive. I also have noticed some mental fogginess and memory problems and my health was declining.

A lot of the stories I've read on this forum the last few days sounded very familiar!

One thing I want to add is that despite everything I know about alcohol, I really had no idea how insidious it is. I really had no idea how much trouble I was in when I was at my bottom.

Another thought I had this afternoon is that alcohol can seem like a fun little toy...something fun to play around with and joke about in college and later, but it's deadly serious stuff.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
8 days - that is wonderful, Out.

Yes, the 'just one beer' thing doesn't work for us. The last time I told myself that, it took me years to get my sobriety back. You're doing great, and we're proud of you.
Thank you, I really appreciate that.
It's great that everyone understands the anxiety I have about going out on Sunday. It seems like such a dumb problem.... I mean, DON'T ORDER ANY BEER, how hard is that? But I'm terrified of going back to what I was (just mere days ago!)
Old 02-10-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I realized I was getting to the end of my tether...I was becoming nonfunctional. I was reeeaaally tired of living a lie and being secretive. I also have noticed some mental fogginess and memory problems and my health was declining.

A lot of the stories I've read on this forum the last few days sounded very familiar!

One thing I want to add is that despite everything I know about alcohol, I really had no idea how insidious it is. I really had no idea how much trouble I was in when I was at my bottom.

Another thought I had this afternoon is that alcohol can seem like a fun little toy...something fun to play around with and joke about in college and later, but it's deadly serious stuff.
Right there with ya. By the time I thought I might have a bit of a drinking problem it was way way out of control.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I think Anna's advice, to tell your SO, is spot-on.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Evening of Day 8. I made it home without stopping for ....um...supplies....at any of my dozens of usual bodegas, quickie marts, gas stations, liquor stores, etc. I'm safely in for the night. I can't say I was really tempted, just fleeting pangs of wanting to stop for beer. It was muscle memory on the steering wheel more than anything.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

You done great
Old 02-11-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm up super early this morning. Made lunch to take to work and cleaned the kitchen. This would not have been possible for me even two weeks ago.