Notices

Today is day one... Yet again

Old 02-10-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is day one... Yet again

I have said the words "I'm an alcoholic" in my head often enough, but never even have had the nerve to type them. I hide this addiction from everyone though of course my husband sees it and knows... And I fear the impact it will have on my children if I don't finally take charge. For months now I drink every day and I consider it a huge feat to not drink on a given day... And I find it pathetic that it is such a big deal to make it one day without. I'm stronger than this... I'm smarter than this... Why can I not simply get control?

I work full time, two active kids, husband works.. I work out fairly regularly and participate in endurance events. I eat fairly well. But alcohol is my Achilles heel. I have body image issues and obviously alcohol doesn't help because the evidence of healthy eating and working out is buried under the evidence of "tomorrow I'll quit".

I'm committing to myself today that I will post here every day for the next 28 days... A commitment that scares the daylights out of me... But one that I must make... And I am determined to make it to day two. I have to stop this cycle...
Old 02-10-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you ICanDoBetter. Looking forward to seeing your posts. You can do this !
Old 02-10-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You got this. I work and my wife works. Due to a few years of very stressful jobs and a very stressful relationship I started medicating. Then once I had a problrm and knew it I didnt take the blame. I didnt take responsability. Well now I have. Its not the past jobs or the ex's fault. Its mine.

It sounds like you binge drink like I do. I am on day 3. Please make it to day 3 even if lack of sleep (my only withdrawl symptom) and other symptoms drive you down. Then on 3 let us know how you feel. I feel AMAZING!

Just think, you wont have to hide anything anymore! How great will that be?
Old 02-10-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've made the smart decision to get sober. I hope the support here can help you stay sober.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is a better way of life. Congratulations!

Hope you'll also join us in the Class of February 2016 thread. The support I'm finding there has been an amazing help for me here thru day 10.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello ICan,
On February 10, 2014 I was more or less in the same boat as you are today. That was the day I got sick and tired of waking up with a hangover. I quit that day and it was the best decision I ever made. Being free of alcohol is a huge blessing. Congratulations on your decision to quit! You will not be sorry.

Also, it is interesting that you said it scares you to admit that you have a problem and do something about it. I felt the same way. I was so worried about what people would say, or whether they might think I was an alcoholic. You know what? No one cares! It was all in my head. Probably the same is true for you. So don't worry too much about what others might think when you quit drinking. I just said I felt it would be better for my health to not drink and everyone seemed to think that was a great idea. I've even had a few friends decide to quit based on my decision!

Good luck. Don't lose hope. Just remember how great it's going to be not to wake up feeling awful.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can do better.

Like Chinaski said...consider joining the February support thread. Lots of folks like you going through the same thing..

Glad you found SR.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StraightAhead View Post
Hello ICan,
On February 10, 2014 I was more or less in the same boat as you are today. That was the day I got sick and tired of waking up with a hangover. I quit that day and it was the best decision I ever made. Being free of alcohol is a huge blessing. Congratulations on your decision to quit! You will not be sorry.

Also, it is interesting that you said it scares you to admit that you have a problem and do something about it. I felt the same way. I was so worried about what people would say, or whether they might think I was an alcoholic. You know what? No one cares! It was all in my head. Probably the same is true for you. So don't worry too much about what others might think when you quit drinking. I just said I felt it would be better for my health to not drink and everyone seemed to think that was a great idea. I've even had a few friends decide to quit based on my decision!

Good luck. Don't lose hope. Just remember how great it's going to be not to wake up feeling awful.
Thanks for the inspiration and congratulations on two years today!!!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hell and welcome to SR,

You sound similar to me, I have struggled to stop over the last few years. Day 41 for me today, and I am starting to feel much better, but I know how important it is for me to remain vigilant. Spend some time reading on here and checking out Different plans to get ideas that will work for you:

Looking forward to being along with you on this journey!!!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As many alcoholics have said: The solution is simple, but not easy. Just don't drink.

That is how you get through day 1. DO NOT DRINK. That is your only goal for the day. Just don't drink. Do anything else, but don't drink.

Don't worry about tomorrow or next week or next year- you aren't there yet. Don't get caught up worrying how you will handle some vacation or drinking event 6 months down the road. That's your addiction trying to win and is a common pitfall in early sobriety. Just try and not drink today.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
totfit

Glad that you understand that you can't drink successfully. I am an "alcoholic" also, but the term and discussions sometimes got in my way over the years. The primary thing is that Alcohol just does not agree with me. It is as simple as that. Somehow, it has all become nonsense to drink and that is the way I approach things. I don't dwell on it as there is nothing to dwell on. It is not an option. Instead I concentrate on other things, health and fitness for one as yourself. Hang in their. When you think about drinking, just say, "it is not for me" and find something else to do.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

You got this
Old 02-10-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe you can do this ICanDoBetter

D
Old 02-11-2016, 05:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I believe you can do it too !
Old 02-11-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It sounds like you have loads of great reasons not to drink, so do I but it's hard especially when it has become such a habit. I know how you feel and understand totally. I do wish you all the luck in the world xxx
Old 02-11-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yep.

Been there.

Posting is a great idea.

You should check out Obladi's journal. She is posting twice a day and its great to hang with her.

I read something Dee said today that I thought was spot on -- he said that maybe we should stop focusing so much on the destination and enjoy the ride.

The next days may not be enjoyable, except in knowing that you have made a great choice. But t some point soon, the ride becomes enough. You will see.

You can do this.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ICanDoBetter View Post
I have said the words "I'm an alcoholic" in my head often enough, but never even have had the nerve to type them. I hide this addiction from everyone though of course my husband sees it and knows... And I fear the impact it will have on my children if I don't finally take charge. For months now I drink every day and I consider it a huge feat to not drink on a given day... And I find it pathetic that it is such a big deal to make it one day without. I'm stronger than this... I'm smarter than this... Why can I not simply get control? I work full time, two active kids, husband works.. I work out fairly regularly and participate in endurance events. I eat fairly well. But alcohol is my Achilles heel. I have body image issues and obviously alcohol doesn't help because the evidence of healthy eating and working out is buried under the evidence of "tomorrow I'll quit". I'm committing to myself today that I will post here every day for the next 28 days... A commitment that scares the daylights out of me... But one that I must make... And I am determined to make it to day two. I have to stop this cycle...
Was looking back through my posts... Hard to believe (kind of) this was just three weeks ago... Feels like so much longer and yet just like yesterday. Already I don't miss the sluggishness of drinking, the need to focus on appearing not that inebriated while maneuvering through the evening at home, wondering how bad a headache Id have "tomorrow". I'm slowly (so slowly) learning to manage the stresses of every day life without that crutch, physically I'm feeling better, mentally I'm feeling more acute and on top of things... Amazing the difference a few weeks can make when preparing for a lifetime ahead of you. Can't wait to see how I feel in another three weeks :-)