Notices

Done with it

Old 02-10-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Done with it

Today is another Day 1 for me. And I am done with drinking. I can't go on like this.

I just got out of a binge that lasted for a continuous 33 hours. It ended last night and I'm not even feeling that hung over. I am going to go back to bed though. I need the rest.

First good sign, I had some beer left and normally would drink it. Now I threw it out.

I need to be more strict and serious about this. Part of that was "I'm still young, I can handle it." Problem is, that's just not true. Younger people die from alcoholism.

Once I realized that, I had a moment where I got realistic about it. And it was scary. But I needed that. Coincidentally, I have a tab with the local news open and it says that there were at least 154 cases of alcohol poisoning during carnaval somewhere. 24 of them were under-aged (!!).

I'm beginning to see how bad alcohol ACTUALLY is. It never got through to me until now.

Anyway, time to recover again.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile

You're right, many young people die with scirosis of the liver, develop alcohol related brain damage, if they don't die of trauma injury as result of car accidents, falls, etc. I am definitely no prude or wowser but don't underestimate or downplay the impact of alcohol just because you are young. You do need to take it seriously given your intake. Have your youth work for you and get a serious handle on it early. There is no law that says you have to drink. Well done on turfing the last beers out. That's hard to do.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good for you!

If you're serious Mike, there's some great help here.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are getting serious, Mike. Here are a couple documentaries on drinking and how it's effecting young people. Be warned, it does show the consumption of alcohol so if that's a trigger then best to avoid it. However, it also shows the horrifying result of said drinking. Scared the crap out of me when I watched it since I got very close to that point with my liver damage.

https://youtu.be/pw-oy6URhTs

https://youtu.be/ixA-o6_4TR0
Old 02-10-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Best of luck
Old 02-10-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Mike,

That's great news, well done for tipping the beers out, I'm really happy for you!

How about making a commitment to not drink for the next 24 hours in the recovery connections thread here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-106-a-4.html

It's such an easy thing to do but it really makes a difference to how you might think & feel about drinking again.

It really did help me when I got started and I didn't have to leave the house to do it.

Go for it!
Old 02-10-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZeldaFan View Post
I'm glad you are getting serious, Mike. Here are a couple documentaries on drinking and how it's effecting young people. Be warned, it does show the consumption of alcohol so if that's a trigger then best to avoid it. However, it also shows the horrifying result of said drinking. Scared the crap out of me when I watched it since I got very close to that point with my liver damage.

https://youtu.be/pw-oy6URhTs

https://youtu.be/ixA-o6_4TR0
$#@% that is %&$#@#$ sobering. I mean wow and I only watched the first one. I'm not sure I can sit through another.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on choosing a better way of life in recovery.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's doubtful that drinking will ever really "work" for you again if you are drinking the way you explain. I was at that point in my early 20's, but kept trying to make it work until I was 29- the only results were more pain and suffering. I've seen you posting recently and wanted to be blunt about one thing- nobody but you can do anything to make this better. There isn't a single thing anyone can do or say that will make you sober if you don't REALLY want it. If you do REALLY want this, you CAN get it with some hard work.

This is a frustrating place for an alcoholic. Alcohol isn't doing the trick any longer and deep down you know that you can't keep it up. You essentially have two choices: stop drinking and give yourself a chance to have a life, or keep drinking and eventually die (but at least you get to keep drinking, right?). As an alcoholic, I can understand how tempting it may be to pick the second option simply because you are scared to live without alcohol.

I think it's a good sign that you don't deny the fact that you have a problem or at least that you know that you don't drink like normal people. The downside is that this is really hard at first. It does get easier, but not without effort.

Since you know you have a problem are you going to step up and tackle it? I'd much rather be known as the guy who faces his problems with courage rather than the guy who takes the easy way out and keeps digging the hole deeper. People respect the fact that you are willing to fight, and you will feel 1000% better about yourself if you put the gloves on and get ready for the biggest fight of your life. If you are serious about this you should prepare yourself for some discomfort and some work. Good luck!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Nice to see you posting here sober. Well done.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I am happy for you Mike. I hope to hear from you again soon, as I think posting here at SoberRecovery can be very helpful.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
I am happy for you Mike. I hope to hear from you again soon, as I think posting here at SoberRecovery can be very helpful.
I agree, and would add that posting here sober on SoberRecovery is far more helpful than posting while drinking.

Hope you a truly ready to make this you last Day 1 Mike
Old 02-10-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Smile

Everything is better when done sober.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're not drinking Mike.
This is a great time to make a plan.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 02-10-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Use the resources you have available to you Mike. Like Dee said, now is a great time to make a plan. You've got to really commit to this, and know that your actions will be molding a better future for you.

Lean on this community for help, stick close to SR, post as often as you need to get through the early hurdles, and do what ever it takes to not drink today.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Mike. Great decision. You can do this. We're here for you.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to see you here today, Mike.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZeldaFan View Post
Here are a couple documentaries on drinking and how it's effecting young people.
Wow, watched the first and will watch the second. I think about all of the people I know who've died before hitting their golden years and in about half the cases, alcohol was core to the accident or illness. And it probably played a role in even more (e.g. suicides with firearms).
Old 02-10-2016, 10:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Yes Mike & one thing I would do when the cravings came was to google the effect binge drinking or heavy drinking has on our health...no matter what age. I'm glad you are taking this seriously & wishing you sobriety!!
Old 02-10-2016, 10:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Good on you for pouring it out, Mike. That takes a lot of will.

You're going to have tough times. Don't let that fact dissuade you. You can do this, bud. I'm new to recovery, but I am so much happier even with my short time in sobriety.

It's worth it. It really is. But don't take my word for it.