Notices

Accused of drinking on the job

Old 02-09-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Accused of drinking on the job

Ok..first off I own my own contractor company and have several other lines of work that I invest in. I went in with an old drinking buddy of mine(who is also a contractor) on a job. He's a year sober by court order and is doing quite well for himself now. Anyways...I was on the job site Saturday with 6 guys(his crew) whom I was supervising and helping. Apparently one or two of these guys were drinking and got caught by the client. Now I"M being blamed for his guys messing up and even accused of drinking myself. I haven't had a drink since Jan 1!

I spoke with my buddy and he knows that I've been clean,but the client isn't having it. Hopefully this doesn't affect any future work from his side,because the extra $$ is nice. Just a rant!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would think that as long as your friend is trusting of you that what's between he and his client would stay there. You may want to be more careful about working with his crew though in the future if they are known for drinking on the job. Even if you aren't obviously it's a problem by association, not to mention a possible temptation.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The one or two guys that were drinking have to go, or be suspended. If you were accused and are innocent I would set the client straight. And fast. That's a serious allegation.

I owned my own contracting business. With as serious as my drinking got, I never, not once, drank on or before going on the job.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Completely agree with Scott & I hope your name is cleared
Old 02-09-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I would try and sort it out with you friends client DontRemember as presumably it is not the client accusing you but one of the drinking contractors.

Maybe you will have to be wary about accepting this work in the future - I don't know legally where you would stand but as supervisor you probably do have some form of responsibility at least I think that would be the case in the UK and I don't suppose the US is that different.

Hope things get sorted out OK and congratulations on 40 days sober
Old 02-11-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Got a call from his client yesterday. Turns out that her husband was offering and drinking with two of the crew. Those two will be suspended as soon as I get to the job site this morning. If I can't drink NO ONE can! but,seriously glad to have that come to her attention.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you got that cleared up. Not sure how long you have been in the industry, but sometimes crap like that is not so innocent but rather strategic. In other words, when the bill comes due they will argue that you had crewmen drinking on the job and they will try and "negotiate" the price. Some bad people out there. On one occasion I met my crew at a spot for lunch (it was a Friday and not a full day) and they had beers in front of them at the table. That was the first and last time that happened. I, the owner of the company, ordered a diet coke. God was I pissed. Its just bad form.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Glad you got that cleared up. Not sure how long you have been in the industry, but sometimes crap like that is not so innocent but rather strategic. In other words, when the bill comes due they will argue that you had crewmen drinking on the job and they will try and "negotiate" the price. Some bad people out there. On one occasion I met my crew at a spot for lunch (it was a Friday and not a full day) and they had beers in front of them at the table. That was the first and last time that happened. I, the owner of the company, ordered a diet coke. God was I pissed. Its just bad form.
Agreed.. I have a few other investments where,when I was drinking,we would have a couple of beers over lunch. They(partners) still do..I have water with lemon.

Anyways..these guys threw a fit at being suspended by me,the new guy and are no longer employed.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good lesson learned DR
Old 02-12-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

one thing i liked about supervising a crew is the responsability for the work and actions of others on my crew.

one thing i didnt like about supervising a crew is the responsability for the work and actions of others on the crew.

glad it all got straightened out.