Notices

Life With All These Feelings...

Old 02-09-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life With All These Feelings...

I'm at the point now where I am going onto 6 days clean from opiates. I am feeling much better physically. A few stomach/digestive problems here and there, and some body aches, but otherwise I feel pretty good.

I am trying to get my mind and emotions in check though. What is life going to be like without that fog, without that numbing, without that warm calming feeling... it was part of my routine. It was my crutch. I sit here and think, even today, what can I take to make today a good day. I know in reality that substances do not determine whether or not a day is a good one or not, but my addictive mind tells me I need something to get through the day. To complete everything I need to do today I will need some sort of help/boost.

I am assuming the answer is time. Over time I will stop thinking about that because it will no longer be a part of my routine. But in the moment, right now, how do I get over this.

I am happier today than I have been, had a great sleep last night. I think I am starting to balance out. I suppose I must disclose that I have recently been diagnosed with anxiety and mild depression...

Any input and advice would be GREATLY appreciated, thank you!
Old 02-09-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I found a good way of keeping myself motivated and happy. I make a gratitude list every day and give thanks for the good things in my life. It puts the focus on the positive. It has changed my whole attitude for the better.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Brooke, great job on 6 days!!

The obsession with your drug of choice will abate the longer you're clean. When I got sober, the first week was difficult.

Try and keep yourself as busy as possible. I found exercise helped me immensely with cravings and my emotions.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great job and congratulations!

I think you will find your confidence returns as you are able to get through good days and not-so-good days. It's a learning process, but have faith that you can do this.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your right about time & to add your doing amazing on day 6
Old 02-09-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I found a good way of keeping myself motivated and happy. I make a gratitude list every day and give thanks for the good things in my life. It puts the focus on the positive. It has changed my whole attitude for the better.
A gratitude list is a great idea! Thank you! A while back I had started a gratitude journal, I didn't make it too far, but I do believe it was because I was in my addiction still and my things I was grateful for that time are much different than what I am grateful for in reality.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Opivotal View Post
Brooke, great job on 6 days!!

The obsession with your drug of choice will abate the longer you're clean. When I got sober, the first week was difficult.

Try and keep yourself as busy as possible. I found exercise helped me immensely with cravings and my emotions.
Thank you for your encouragement! Realistically I know that time is what will make it easier for me, but in the moment hard to understand and remember that sometimes. Keeping myself busy is something that I need to start doing more because I work from home it feels like I don't get out much and it allowed me to be in my little drug bubble, but unfortunately it also led me to develop pretty bad social anxiety which is not who I am or who I have been in the past. I'm going to make a point of getting out more and doing new different exciting things. Really looking at this as a new start, a new life for me! I have so many goals and plans that I want to experience. Now is the time! Thanks again!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Great job and congratulations!

I think you will find your confidence returns as you are able to get through good days and not-so-good days. It's a learning process, but have faith that you can do this.
Thank you so much! I fear that being on a substance for so long that that was not meant to be in my brain for so long and in such a large quantity that I have altered it in some way. I've always been a very confident person even with all the personal physical struggles that I have dealt with in my life. I was a social, energetic extrovert and now I sometimes feel that I am nothing but scared/fearful and anxious all the time. I am certain this will pass, I just hope I haven't done long term damage to my brain. But above all else you are right, I just need to have faith!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Your right about time & to add your doing amazing on day 6
Thank you! I am very happy, and proud, that I have made it this far. There are moments through the first couple of days that I didn't feel I was going to make it. Sitting on my couch middle of the night not being able to sleep and feeling nothing but intense pain all over my body, I certainly was close to giving up. But I didn't because I knew it would pass and I knew eventually I'd have to go through this all over again if I did give up now. Waking up this morning I felt really normal and I'm grateful that I am made it through those days.