Notices

hugely dissapointed week 3

Old 02-08-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hugely dissapointed week 3

hi im into my 3rd week of sobrierty after 4 years of reg binges to cure my mental health

week 1 was hell felt like I had every illness going then when that cleared up my I had a couple of days of headaches etc

then around mid 2nd week I had a couple of days of perfect harmony really fuelled me on no mental health issues felt "normal"

HOWEVER entering the end of week 2 I seem to have daily anxiety/nervousness I can always tell because my ocd flares up big style and I feel like im wearing a cap all day ie band feeling

also my IBS is playing up as if im on the comedown from a bender

ive had every test going and all come back as im ready to take on the world perfect

I just don't feel it

is this normal im also OTT horny? lol

thanks ohwell
Old 02-08-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is normal to notice a lot of physical aches and pains and also be anxious in the beginning of sobriety.

Dealing with some of the mental issues you may want to seek some professional advice. You said you have been checked out by a GP so if that is good the other part is next.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Getting sober is not going to cure any mental health issues you have. They'll still be there. But it does give the opportunity to work on them. You'll have to address those separately while sober.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your sobriety. Yes, it's normal. Recovery is seldom a straight line. I know I spent a few years poisoning my body and it took some time to recover. There are lots of good books to help manage anxiety without medication. Check out our Book List in the Stickies at the top of this forum.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Anxiety as you get sober sucks big time; I'm experiencing it (again) right now. Like others are saying, you'll get through it!
Old 02-08-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi my anxiety is alcohol induced I only ever go into a panic state when ive drank alcohol so i was drinking again to cure it

i take it the stomach is the first thing to go awol when abused and the last thing to heal as mine pops bangs and rumbles and im leading a healthy lifestyle yet when i was on the beer my IBS was masked

perhaps my gut is making me feel like this and its just gonna take time

thanks for the rplies
Old 02-08-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I would say it is normal, when I quit I wanted my anxiety to go away as fast as possible but it took a while. Give it time and remember drinking again will cause you to lose the ground you have gained so far.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations on 3 weeks rome wasn't built in a day keep on keeping on
Old 02-08-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks for the positive comments I think im just disappointed as there seems to be no reason for the anxiety/ocd flare up to be this bad works got so much better in the 3 weeks im sleeping better my pulse rate has come down 10 fold and I am having my daughter stop 3 times a week now

anyway ill keep going
Old 02-08-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by ohwell321 View Post
thanks for the positive comments I think im just disappointed as there seems to be no reason for the anxiety/ocd flare up to be this bad
As others have mentioned, it's entirely possible that there is another cause of the anxiety than the drinking. Seeing a counselor to talk about it would not hurt anything.

It took several weeks for my physical issues to get better, remember that months/years of damage take time to heal.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am currently under my local mental health team they have put me on anti phsycotics which sort of helped but I only have to eat a carrot more than the minimum food needed daily and you put on a stone within no time neck like a walrus if not careful......
Old 02-08-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by ohwell321 View Post
I am currently under my local mental health team they have put me on anti phsycotics which sort of helped but I only have to eat a carrot more than the minimum food needed daily and you put on a stone within no time neck like a walrus if not careful......
It's good to hear that you are getting lots of help, both physical and mental. The first few weeks can be rough, but you are doing a great job of getting through it and things should hopefully start improving soon!
Old 02-08-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The first month or two of recovery can be rough, but you've got to stay sober for it to get better. Hang in there. It will get better.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If like me you spent years getting to this point, then a the body is going to take a more than a few weeks to adjust and heal.

Give it more time, things will get better!!