Notices

hi there.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi there.

it's been nigh on 24 hours since I stumbled home from a night out. For that 24 hours I have not felt like a drink so its been easy while I'm hungover so the challenge will be tomorrow probably when I feel better.

Ive been on here before, and since ceased to drink for a few months at a time and then meet a girl, want to join in on a few and then it all slides again. That and christmas with my heavy drinking friend. Oh yeah not to mention me of course and my habbits such as after work, 'got nothing on', 'its a hot day and a beer would go down nicely' or just sometimes i get a physical pang when I consider not drinking, like a pang of fear, fear of the unknown?

Any way I'm yet again fending off mediocrity by attempting sobriety again. mediocrity at home, work, with friends and my lover. I would love to just have one or two, but at this stage its more difficult than none. today like the other days I have quit, they seem to be accidental. One night of being poor company, a diary which tells me I need to be on my game and a wallet that is thinner than usual.

I feel like I'll seem weak by having to cease altogether in the eyes of my lover but it's just that this is what needs to happen for other parts of my life to improve .

I drew a pyramid today to give me focus on my personal goals

-
---
--fitness-
--------------
----health----
--------------------
--------activity------
----------------------------
---------reflection----------
-----------------------------------
------------sobriety----------------

I'm hoping it can give me focus and remind me that my foundation is sobriety and all things lead from that and only remain if i remain sober.

best wishes to you all.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very helpful concept 1st--
I agree, for me sobriety is the foundation
for the whole she-bang of self.

I lose that, the pyramid collapses pretty quickly.
I keep it, and it grows
Old 02-07-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back firstandlast

D
Old 02-07-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! My life got so much better when I got sober. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to see you back and posting, firstandlast. There's no doubt you can do this.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you
Old 02-08-2016, 09:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks for the warm welcome
Its not been that difficult the last couple days as I know there is a lot at stake. Ive done a few things I wouldnt normally do because i'm usually too drunk to drive. i went to the gym today for the first time since November. I also drove down to the river yeasterday at 6pm (my happy hour usually) and walked my dog. Ive upped the ante too and enrolled in a couple courses, something I can only do 100% sober (meaning I dont rush home to drink). Im trying not to pressure myself into being active but rather refer to my pyramid and be satisfied that sobriety is a good foundation even if nothing else gets achieved at this stage. But its been inevitable that things are happening.

Im making dinner for a friend today and then heading off to a trivia night. Its a pub though....i dont think it will be an issue.

Any suggestions for what to drink?..i'm thinking I either hook into the ginger ale or orange juice.....i'm going to be so much better company i think!
Old 02-08-2016, 09:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

if your 100% going I'd stick to the OJ - have you got an exit plan if things get hairy ?
Old 02-08-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i dont have an exit plan as such, but im only there for the trivia and the company. After the trivia i scoot....
OJ yes, I was leaning towards that, thanks
Old 02-09-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A little update, I managed to abstain at the pub. It did make for a slightly less interesting night but theres not much going for a pub mostly if you're not intoxicated....so I'll probably not jump up to go again.
I felt like a beer and resisted but damn it, I felt like an Ice cream afterwards. Is that a sugar thing related to booze do you reckon?
Old 02-09-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yes there is a lot of sugar in alcohol so there may be sugar cravings ice cream etc

in sobriety ice cream wins hands down versus alcohol
Old 02-09-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I'm trying out apple juice; seems to give me some good energy...have you tried it?

I'm also recently off the sauce (Feb. 4, 2016 was my last drink) and hear what you're saying. Right now it's head strong determination that is winning the fight, but what happens as the months roll by and you forget about some of the consequences of drinking. This time I am trying to be very mindful of how icky I feel, how the anxiety and dizziness sucks...and that I was unable to keep it under control last time after a good run of sobriety.

Good for you on staying sober at trivia night; that's a tough venue to be while sober for sure!