Thought for the day

Old 09-16-2004, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thought for the day

"Prayer is not asking for what you think you want, but asking to be changed in ways you can't imagine."- Kathleen Norris

boy is that true or what!?

hugs to all - cwohio
Old 09-16-2004, 06:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

You mean it's not sending my list up to God of what I want and think I need, and when I want it... and then asking again a little while later. He might have been busy, after all, with the hurricane and Iraq and the local sheriff scandal here.

I really used to be like that... talking to God like I did to my A. "umm, its me again. Maybe you didnt hear me the first time..."

Its fun to see how far I've come... and exciting to see where I have yet to go!

Hugs and love
Barb
Old 09-16-2004, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks barb - the analogy of talking to God like the A is a good one. i too have changed my "list".

hugs back - cwohio
Old 09-16-2004, 06:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
{tap}{tap}...Is this thing on?

More Thoughts for 9/16

Newcomer

You've told me I should pray for someone who's been causing me all sorts of problems. But that's not going to change that person, is it?

Sponsor

I've heard various descriptions of how prayer works. Some say God listens, some say our thoughts affect the energy of the universe and create change; some say that we're conditioning ourselves to transform our own attitudes, and that attitudes, good and bad, are contagious. It's a mystery but it does work.

Someone I worked with seemed so disrespectful and unpleasant that I dreaded encounters with her. I began saying a daily prayer for her health and complete happiness. Before gatherings that included her, I prayed that communication between us would be easy and smooth and that each person's highest good in that situation would be realized. The effects were dramatic. I experienced relief from my fear of facing her and began to see her as a whole human being. I genuinely began to want her well-being. My body language and facial expressions probably changed; perhaps I stopped sending messages of dislike and rejection when I saw her. For whatever reason, she stopped turning her back on me and sometimes actually smiled.

I'm not suggesting that we try to manipulate others to behave as we wish. Specific results and timetables aren't in our hands. But I do know that our are always effective in furthering our own and others' processes of healing.

Today, I pray for others, placing them in my Higher Power's hands.

From the book: If You Want What We Have by Joan Larkinprayers [U]
Old 09-16-2004, 06:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Great Thread Cwo! And I really enjoyed the posts too!!!! The comparison of how you talked to God and your A really made me smile this morning.

(Which has me thinking...Ummm...Why am I still awake and on the computer. I still am not quite sure, but this is marathon recovery in action. It's been 14 hours and still counting....)
Old 09-16-2004, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

petunia - nice addition to the thread and all so true!

shutter - that's a great marathon to be involved in!

hugs to all - cwohio