coping with the anger

Old 02-06-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

coping with the anger

I've not posted in a while. Things with my ABF haven't went right, and I know it's my fault for not sticking up for myself. And therefore I feel weak and I didn't really want to call attention to my weakness by posting! Still though, I need input because being isolated and depressed on my own isn't getting me anywhere. This time my question isn't about him or how to handle him. I've never been a confrontational, angry, full of rage, ready to fight kind of person. Since I have been in this relationship (met him at 25) I have became all of these things. I don't really like the person I have turned into. I guess this is how I've learned to cope with my life/relationship? I don't know. Has anyone else experienced that change after dealing with an addict and if so were you able to get back to your old self?
Old 02-06-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I experienced this with a BF who wasn't an addict. Everything he did annoyed me. I became snappy, nasty and hard to live with. This is when I knew I had to leave because I didn't like myself, much less him.
Leaving was a huge relief. He wanted to get back together but I didn't want to be that person again.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
I experienced this with a BF who wasn't an addict. Everything he did annoyed me. I became snappy, nasty and hard to live with. This is when I knew I had to leave because I didn't like myself, much less him.
Leaving was a huge relief. He wanted to get back together but I didn't want to be that person again.
Same here... Had nothing to do with addiction... He wasn't very nice sober ... He basically hated himself and that was bad enough but I didn't like it when he started hating me and hated others ...I called him out on things and he just ended up resenting me for it ... And I think resentment can turn into hatred ... ( I have to examine my own self) I've come to find out the hard way ... People who are * miserable * with self loathing are well, hard to describe sometimes...I felt like had to boost his self esteem but I was also guilty of needing to boost my own ... Live and learn... He had a girlfriend on the side I knew nothing about till she practically accosted me one day at school ... I was shocked!!
Old 02-07-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We become 'ill' while being with an addict. Obviously their thinking isn't normal and then the drug makes it worse. Being exposed to that 24/7 can only alter how we used to think. Recognizing it is half the battle. Deciding that we deserve more - is the other half.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

With my son, the insanity of addiction crept into my life too and I completely lost sight of myself and was drawn into the dark life he was leading, thinking I could save him. Of course, I could not.

There came a time when I could not live one more day like that, and that is when I began the journey of my own recovery, reclaiming my life and my sanity...and I have never looked back.

I hope you can find your balance and the clarity to see what your life has become, and then the courage to move forward in a healthy way to better days ahead.

Hugs
Old 02-07-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dusty, if he's still using and lying to you, maybe your anger is a healthy sign
of self-protection, and perhaps the smarter way to deal with it is to remove the cause.

He's been showing you by his actions for years that addiction is more important
than you are--believe what he does, not what he says.
You've already spent years trying to help him but clearly he doesn't want to quit
and is willing to take you down with him.

Maybe you should be angry about that and let your anger propel you to positive action.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was able to recover when I stopped blaming others for my own unacceptable behavior, using their actions as my justification for reacting in unhealthy ways. It's not easy to give that up. Having a scapegoat is really easy and convenient. Nothing was ever my fault, I had an ironclad excuse for everything- Look at what I "have to" put up with from the alcoholic/addict/mentally ill person.
But the truth is living with alcoholism didn't turn me into anything or force me to behave in a way that I didn't like. I did it to myself because I was looking outside myself for solutions and living in a haze of denial and unrealistic expectations.
Do you attend Alanon?
Old 02-07-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm a big advocate that stuffing anger is unhealthy. It needs to be dealt with and needs an outlet. But, eventually we need to let it go or it can rob us of peace. It's amazing how long I can hang on to anger. So, it's work in progress for me. I don't know if I hang on to it so long because I wasn't able to work through it or what. But, it doesn't feel good to be so angry; that much I know...I've had to literally pray about it. And, it doesn't feel good to stuff it. In the experience in my post above I never really told that boyfriend off and probably should have. I was young and too shocked.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Dusty,

I was in a relationship for 9 years with someone who was toxic for me. I was just nothing like myself when we were together. He was an alcoholic and abused narcotics, he suffered from bipolar disorder. All this came up after we were dating, but I was too young to understand what any of it meant or how to deal with it. Don't let anyone into your life who will push you to change your personality in order to cope with him/her, don't lose yourself in someone else. It was a destructive and terrible time for me, I am not proud of many of my actions, I wish I had made different decisions, and my life today is very different from where I thought it might be. I'm happier today than I was. But long after he's been gone, my life is still impacted by that experience of losing myself and my direction.

I'm getting things back on track today, I'm reclaiming my life. But it's not "back to my old self." The course of my life changed because of the things that happened in it. That is normal, it's what happens in life, but don't think that you're going to "go back to your old self." You will be changed, and things will be different, and it will still be you, it will still be your life, but things will be different. Today I try to put people in my life who will be good influences, push me to be better, smarter, faster, stronger, kinder, calmer, happier, not people who make me hide in order to be around them, in order to protect myself and my friends.

I hope that is helpful. I hope you find the help here you need. And I hope you get your life back ASAP!

~JD
Old 02-07-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just the post I needed to see tonight! This is a topic I have thought about daily for the past week.
I have rage inside me that wasn't present before. It's almost all consuming sometimes. I'm trying to just let myself feel it as it comes and let it pass. .
It's a lot less isolating to know others are going through similar things. Have you been to alanon? It has continually helped with my feelings of isolation. *hugs*
Old 02-07-2016, 11:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's like the addict realizes no consequence. You'll just be vindictive in exposing him for a relationship problem that just happens to involve abuse and illegal drugs. Because he's a good worker. Nice to his mom.
Yeah, I'm angry too.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
I hope you can find your balance and the clarity to see what your life has become, and then the courage to move forward in a healthy way to better days ahead.

Hugs
Thank you for your kind words. I'm still trying to figure out my next move, and I'm trying not to put so much pressure on myself this time. I planned to leave him a while back, and then when he convinced me to give it another try I felt so weak that I gave up. I didn't post here. I didn't tell anyone what was happening. I ignored everyone including myself. I just took everything he gave me and turned it into the anger I'm now trying to cope with in a healthier way. I'm looking forward to those better days you speak of!
Old 02-10-2016, 11:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JD4320 View Post
Hi Dusty,

I was in a relationship for 9 years with someone who was toxic for me. I was just nothing like myself when we were together. He was an alcoholic and abused narcotics, he suffered from bipolar disorder. All this came up after we were dating, but I was too young to understand what any of it meant or how to deal with it. Don't let anyone into your life who will push you to change your personality in order to cope with him/her, don't lose yourself in someone else. It was a destructive and terrible time for me, I am not proud of many of my actions, I wish I had made different decisions, and my life today is very different from where I thought it might be. I'm happier today than I was. But long after he's been gone, my life is still impacted by that experience of losing myself and my direction.

I'm getting things back on track today, I'm reclaiming my life. But it's not "back to my old self." The course of my life changed because of the things that happened in it. That is normal, it's what happens in life, but don't think that you're going to "go back to your old self." You will be changed, and things will be different, and it will still be you, it will still be your life, but things will be different. Today I try to put people in my life who will be good influences, push me to be better, smarter, faster, stronger, kinder, calmer, happier, not people who make me hide in order to be around them, in order to protect myself and my friends.

I hope that is helpful. I hope you find the help here you need. And I hope you get your life back ASAP!

~JD
I found your post rather comforting JD! I'm so glad to hear you are reclaiming what is yours! The part about not being with someone who will push you to change your personality to cope with him really made me think about how I've done that without even noticing. There was a time when I explained to him that I could not tolerate him taking benzos to treat his "anxiety" and his solution was that I should be on a low dose of Xanax myself. Then I wouldn't be so uptight over everything. Of course that made me even madder, but I am finally starting to understand that I get to choose to respond or not to his insanity, and to make decisions on how I feel and what I need to happen in my life.
Everyone here has been so wonderful. So encouraging. I have no idea what my future holds, and I just hope I'm strong enough to take charge of my life again.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi,
I'm experiencing this now with my ex-bf. He is a meth addict. He is very invested in making sure that management (we work together) and his Mommy are sure that he is on a Path to Society. He is 52 and his friends are similarly situated 30-year losers. Mostly living with Moms who have property.

My addict is a dude. Born over 50 years ago in a still-white neighborhood in the Bay Area, given/promised trust fund/inheritance since his teens. It only made him believe he actually deserved it for being White and being in a certain block. There are many like him. They don't come off as d/bags; it's part of how they maintain respectability while having their dealers on speed dial. And yes, it's easier if you are White. I like Whites. I find this nauseating.

Anyway. If you are fortunate enough to live here on your own, these White Sons will leech onto you until you stop it. Their aging Mommies will let them, even as those Mommies wear you down for their Son, the Meth Addict (that they won't admit to ever).

My advice is to stop it. Worry about you. Don't count your losses or worry about how your addict will survive. It's been half a century or close to it. He'll live. He'll go back to Mommy and/or her money, and that's the brutal truth.

It sucks. But these types of Mommy's Boys tend not to reproduce IME. Hopefully for your community and most of you, you, this is not forever.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't really like the person I have turned into. I guess this is how I've learned to cope with my life/relationship? I don't know. Has anyone else experienced that change after dealing with an addict and if so were you able to get back to your old self?
I for one am very happy that I was unable to get back to my old self.......it was that old self that got me involved in a toxic relationship with an addict and it was that old self that kept me there far to long.

I like my NEW self allot!!!
Old 02-11-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
I was able to recover when I stopped blaming others for my own unacceptable behavior, using their actions as my justification for reacting in unhealthy ways. It's not easy to give that up. Having a scapegoat is really easy and convenient. Nothing was ever my fault, I had an ironclad excuse for everything- Look at what I "have to" put up with from the alcoholic/addict/mentally ill person.
But the truth is living with alcoholism didn't turn me into anything or force me to behave in a way that I didn't like. I did it to myself because I was looking outside myself for solutions and living in a haze of denial and unrealistic expectations.
Do you attend Alanon?
While I understand what you're saying, I have a hard time relating that to my situation. I was not like this until I was deeply involved with him. I've not been to alanon so maybe that would help me to see what I'm doing wrong. I thought the main thing I'd done wrong was tolerating his abuse for so long. I am now very curious about what I'm missing. The closest alanon meeting to me is a little over an hour away, but maybe I need to find a way to go.