Notices

Super Bowl 50 Thread - 7th Feb 2016

Old 02-06-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Super Bowl 50 Thread - 7th Feb 2016

Welcome everyone to the Super Bowl 50 Thread, with less than 24hrs until kick off it’s time to get things rolling, no doubt everyone who intends to watch the game has already thought about how tomorrow may play out, and SR can be a part of that.

For me sport and alcohol always seemed to go hand in hand, at one time I would even plan my next Sobriety date for after a sporting event, “I’ll quit afterwards”, but my afterwards never seemed to come.

Well over the next 24hrs we’re gonna prove once again that alcohol does not have to be part of the plan, the centre of our enjoyment, or the default routine we have to follow, instead it’s just another fairytale and myth that alcohol will try to sell us, if we let it, but we don’t have to listen anymore, we get to choose Sobriety.

Trust me waking up on Monday hangover free, remembering every play will feel awesome, who remembers last year? the game going down to the final play? Still remembering that interception so clearly one year on is the gift that Sobriety can give.

If you’re in need of some extra support, you won’t go short, SR has all bases covered, in addition, we have our Playoff thread in the Cafe, plus our Weekender Thread to get involved in, dive right in and get support if you need it:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...r-feb-5-a.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

So feel free to post, what’s everyone’s predictions? who are you rooting for? what’s your alternative beverage of choice? any good recipe ideas? and last but not least our thoughts on the half time show?

May the best team win, but most importantly get your plan together now and let’s keep it Sober on Super Bowl Sunday!!

PK
Old 02-06-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Let's go, Broncos!
I'll be here with two 11 years olds watching the game and enjoying the commercials. The beverage of choice with likely be water on the rocks and whatever the kids want to eat!
Old 02-06-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Great post PK!
Old 02-06-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Thanks PK!!

It's funny, while I love me some NFL I had difficulty remembering last years superbowl in the years I was drinking. I'd think, hmmm so who played last year? Where was the game? Who won???

Wow - now I can vividly recall the game!!!

Can't believe they threw a pass..........do you remember??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
seattle fan.jpg (10.0 KB, 131 views)
Old 02-06-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I'll be cheering for Denver because that's happyandfree's team!! Hi HAF!!

I'll be watching the game with family and friends and will probably be the only non-drinker there. That's ok....I've got some green tea (iced) and flavored sparkling water on hand. These events have become non issues for me, but it's taken a year of sobriety to not immediately associate sporting events with drinking. Hello sober Monday morning!!
Old 02-06-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Malcolm Butler!!

The faces - Brady, Sherman, Wilson, Pete Carroll!! . . . unbelievable scenes!!

Old 02-06-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Thanks, PK!

Super bowl party tomorrow with old friends, will bring a six pack of NA beer for me as well as normal beer for the hosts. Should be fun!! Not really worried after a year of sobriety, I've dealt with holidays, the Mayweather-pacquiao fight, poker night, etc. Let's get it on!!
Old 02-06-2016, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Sorry, folks...the results are in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU66JJHIT7w
Old 02-06-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'll be cheering for the Carolina Panthers. Cam Newton played for and graduated from Auburn University, my alma mater.

Go Cam! Go Panthers!

Drink of choice is flavored seltzer on the rocks.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Old 02-06-2016, 08:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great thread! I'll be watching the game with my 9-yr-old son and maybe my teenage daughters if they're extremely bored. No beverage of choice but lately I've been drinking cranberry cocktail juice mixed with fizzy water from my Soda Stream. I'm a Saints fan so I'll be rooting for Peyton Manning in probably his last hurrah. There was an article in the paper today about the four Mannings (Archie, Peyton, Eli and Cooper) playing football for Isadore Newman school in Nola. Great family. Hope it's a good game!
Old 02-06-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How to Fake Your Way Through the Super Bowl Without Knowing Anything About Football
Old 02-06-2016, 10:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Long time Panthers fan here. Looking forward to the game tomorrow, and watching it sober.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I shall be watching - the TV program starts at 10:50PM in the UK so it will be mugs of coffee to keep me going.

I shall be neutral as my team are hosting rather than playing.

Not bothered about the halftime entertainment though - don't see the appeal of Beyonce, not bothered about Bruno Mars though Coldplay 'may' nail it. I wonder if any of them will have a 'dad dancing' shark?!?!?!
Old 02-06-2016, 11:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Panthers win in blowout
Old 02-07-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

They obviously 'spiked' the broncos puppy 'bowl' as evidenced by that first one changing direction at the last second. Definitely added some olfactory lure in it.
If you watch the replay in slow motion you can clearly see something change in the first puppy to make him switch direction. If both bowls contained the exact same 'kibbles', he would naturally have stayed on his path following the visual cues.
Add the natural order of 'follow the leader' and positioning, the other puppies naturally gravitated toward that side. The 'group think' mentality is definitely evident as the 'later' puppies gravitated toward the bronco bowl - by the time they got close to the bowls, both were not in the line of sight - they didn't know what the fuss was about. And again, the group think mentality and curiosity took over.
And let's also not rule out the lollipop phenomenon. In a group of toddlers, if you give one a lollipop, the others will gather around that child in the hopes of getting in a lick two.

Purely scientific. The matter of 'chance' does not play into the puppy scenario at all. Even if you rule out the spiked bowl conspiracy theory, all the other scientific evidence would validate the reasons the broncos bowl won.

I'll go with the madden pick. After the championship games I had the panthers as a four point favorite the day after. The people predicting a blowout because of how they handled the cardinals seem to forget the broncos have a stellar defense. How many people predicted the patriots to beat the broncos? C'mon? Madden has an 80% success rate picking the winner over the past years. And getting scores close as well.

As for watching the game, if I can get it streaming I'll watch it. Or visit a neighbor to watch the second half. I have no desire to get mixed in with a crowd all caught up in the hoopla and getting smashed during the game.
I've been to too many superbowl parties over the years that I didn't even know the score of the game until the next day.

Enjoy the game
Old 02-07-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent thoughtful thread Pk !
Old 02-07-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Nice post, PK!

I'll be hanging out with my boys, 7 and 9, husband and MIL. My beverage of choice will be these sodas I recently found called "DRY" aptly enough. They come in awesome flavors like lavender, cucumber and rhubarb. If you see them at your grocer I highly recommend them.

I use the word "watch" in quotes in this case because, a) I have the attention span of a gnat, b) I'll be cooking, and c) eating these:

http://http://fox8.com/2016/01/29/super-bowl-snacks-heres-an-easy-cheesy-pull-apart-sliders-recipe/
Old 02-07-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

On day three and I've decided to forgo the party we were invited to. My husband is fine with that. I feel fine, just not interested in watching a bunch of people drink and get obnoxious. Don't have the energy for that today. So I'm going to cook up whatever my brood wants and enjoy a giant pitcher of lemon, cucumber, mint water.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Dharma. Hope you have a great day!!