Notices

Newb.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newb.

Hi everyone

21 days sober. First attempt at quitting the drink.

Long story short, struggled with eating disorders, anxiety and depression from the age of 12. Father died of alcoholism when I was 14. Turned 18, quickly developed a bottle of wine a night habit. Now 25, gone back to University and want to make something of myself, but drinking a bottle (or two) every night was starting to negatively impact every aspect of my life.

So here I am. Cravings are getting to me, but distractions are getting me through. Otherwise feeling well rested, mellow and healthy for once
Old 02-06-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome szam

This is a great place for support - I'm glad you found us
Good luck with your study

D
Old 02-06-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done on 21 days szam...keep up the great work x
Old 02-06-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Welcome & Congratulations on 3 weeks Szam
Old 02-06-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's a shame your father died from alcohol. Was it cirrhosis, was he young? I was at the barber today and she was mentioning how alcohol was a huge problem on the res (native American reservation). Her sons friend is dying of cirrhosis at age 24 and is still drinking vodka every day. Her daughters friend also has end stage cirrhosis. A leader in their community had recently died of cirrhosis. Says its a big problem because they spend their government checks on booz, dont work and just sit around and drink all day. You don't have to end up like that.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome szam. It really helps to read and post here. Nice work on your 21 days sober.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
That's a shame your father died from alcohol. Was it cirrhosis, was he young? I was at the barber today and she was mentioning how alcohol was a huge problem on the res (native American reservation). Her sons friend is dying of cirrhosis at age 24 and is still drinking vodka every day. Her daughters friend also has end stage cirrhosis. A leader in their community had recently died of cirrhosis. Says its a big problem because they spend their government checks on booz, dont work and just sit around and drink all day. You don't have to end up like that.
He actually died from an accident caused by alcohol. He had epilepsy also, but had a habit of having falls (he had bad mobility due to spinal arthritis) when he was drunk. He fell, a got an undiagnosed bleed on the brain, fell again a few days later and hit his head in the same spot and died there and then. Was found the following day.

I've had incidences of hurting myself when drunk (falling down stairs amongst other things), I can just see myself going in a similar way if I continue
Old 02-06-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 3 weeks sober! And welcome to the family.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Szam!!
Old 02-06-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by szam View Post
He actually died from an accident caused by alcohol. He had epilepsy also, but had a habit of having falls (he had bad mobility due to spinal arthritis) when he was drunk. He fell, a got an undiagnosed bleed on the brain, fell again a few days later and hit his head in the same spot and died there and then. Was found the following day.

I've had incidences of hurting myself when drunk (falling down stairs amongst other things), I can just see myself going in a similar way if I continue
You don't have to follow that path. Quitting is the best thing you can do for your health right now. Life is so much better when you aren't nursing the daily hangover or worrying about how you are going to get your drinks when you currently don't have any left. You can certainly quit and you will be so much better for it.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for the loss of your father, but it's good to know you are making sure that you will live a sober life. Good job on going back to university.