Notices

Detox help

Old 02-06-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox help

Hello I have started a home detox programme with my case worker, each day I reduce my units, with my final one being 14th February , but I'm finding it so hard, I'm just so scared to think that I can not have a drink again. I know from previous experiences that I cannot be a social drinker. Any help or advice please . X
Old 02-06-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sandy41 View Post
Hello I have started a home detox programme with my case worker, each day I reduce my units, with my final one being 14th February , but I'm finding it so hard, I'm just so scared to think that I can not have a drink again. I know from previous experiences that I cannot be a social drinker. Any help or advice please . X
I try to not think too much about the future. All it does is increasing my anxiety over things that I have little control over anyhow, and just gives me reasons to drink today which really makes no sense when you think about it. I do my best to just think about today. I just don't wake up and say I won't drink today. For me, that will only work for so long. I make a plan on how I won't drink today. Some call it a to do list. Part of that plan my involve staying hydrated, eating well, but maybe indulging in something sweet. Even with this, the thought of drinking will eventually come up anyhow. So, I'll add on something to that plan for the next day. Before you know it, you'll have a pretty solid daily plan. That's a whole lot easier than trying to make a plan for life today, like saying you will not drink forever. Some people manage to do that, but for me, that wouldn't work. I can develop a structure for a day or week. But to develop a structure for the rest of my life and stick with it forever!! Good luck. John
Old 02-06-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sandy - you'll find a ton of support here - we're all very friendly. Please post around and read as much as you like

D
Old 02-06-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad you found us!!!
Old 02-06-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Honestly, it won't be easy. But its not incredibly difficult either if you take it day by day not thinking about tomorrow only the present. There is no sense worrying now about what will happen on the 14th. You are taking positive steps detoxing under supervision. You need to have faith this person knows what they are doing and they have your best interests in mind.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Sandy to a great supportive community
Old 02-06-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I was also scared of living sober. But after being sober for a few months, I found I liked it better than drinking. My life is so much simpler now.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sandy!!
Old 02-06-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sandy, Welcome and good for you for taking positive steps to stop drinking.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

As has been mentioned, don't think of never drinking again. When you're done with the taper just don't drink for the day. Then tomorrow do the same thing. Thinking about what may happen in the future gives anyone anxiety. You have very little control of that.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Sandy.. I agree with everyone else,one day at a time. That was my biggest hurdle -the thought that I may never be able to drink again but it's much easier to cope with a commitment of 24 hours. Then the next day do the same.
Good luck- there is heaps of support on here X
Old 02-06-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I think perhaps I'm putting too much pressure on myself. The thing is I don't like letting people down and hate thinking I'm a failure . A member mentioned his dog. I have a cat and to be honest if it wasn't for her I would not be here now, I was so determined to end it all a few weeks ago but then something happened and she came and sat with me and I swear she looked at me as if she was saying please don't do anything stupid. Alcohol is such a strong demon and takes over your whole life xx
Old 02-06-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stick with your program as laid out it sounds to be a good one
Old 02-06-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Fear of sobriety is usually just fear of the unknown. Six weeks ago, I was terrified. (You can see my old frightened threads!) Trust me, once you get into sobriety, you'll find life is much better than it was before.

Instead of thinking of what you lose (booze. yay. it's sooooo awesome.), think of what you'll gain. All the new energy and health you'll have. The free time you can use for new interests. The money you'll have! The new sober friends who have their lives together! You'll feel better and the person in the mirror will look better every day.

It's normal to be afraid where you are right now, but don't let the fear stop you. Take our word for it, life after booze is so, so much better!
Old 02-07-2016, 02:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your positive comments. I hope it's ok to share this. When I wake up in the morning I feel so anxious, my stomach is churning, I feel jittery and scared but as soon as I have my first drink in my hand all this goes away. That is what I am so scared of when my detox ends, waking up feeling the same but not being able to do anything. How will I be able to go back to work like that. X
Old 02-11-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi guys, I am on my 3 day of not having a drink, I still feel jittery. The campral and mirtazapine see to be working but I just feel tired and legargic all the time, it this normal.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yes this is normal & big congrats on day 3 that's amazing

I was feeling more myself in days 7-10
Old 02-11-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Believe it or not, that anxiety and sense of foreboding are largely caused by the alcohol itself and as it gets out of your system, odds are good those feelings will go away.

SOME people have an underlying anxiety condition and SOME people suffer from PAWS, but please don't let these seeds get planted in your head that this is how it's gonna go down for you. I felt FANTASTIC after a short while of sobriety -- anxiety and jitters all gone. Lots of other people do, too. Of course, more people will post to report a problem than to say "No problem. Feeling great."

Keep all that in mind, and expect the best for your recovery! :-)
Old 02-11-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have trouble with thinking too far ahead as well. It only leads to feelings of hopelessness and despair. I find that staying sober is much easier by focusing on just today. The AA mantra of 'one day at a time' holds true.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

just think when you are clean & clear you wont worry about it eh?