Notices

Superbowl weekend and social media.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Superbowl weekend and social media.

As everyone in the U.S. (and probably much of the world) knows its Superbowl weekend, its a big deal. The younger generation is very active in/on social media. I only have a Facebook account and it was used primarily for when I had my business, but I do log on daily as of late.
I signed in today and saw roughly 40% of "friends" posting pictures of the festivities they are engaged in. Between ice fishing, the Phoenix Open (golf) and the Superbowl, they are alcohol related. Pictures in bars, restaurants, fish houses, house parties etc... .I am very thankful that I am not lost in the alcoholic fog that these events entail.

I'm sure many, if not most, can handle it with class and have no problem. Since I am a member of this site, its obvious I can not. More importantly is that its not that I can't be involved with these activities, its that I do not want to be involved in these activities. By no means am I holier than thou, but I'm really glad I'm not posting pictures of myself having a bloody-mary at 9:00AM and proud of it.

Instead we have a couple, their two kids (1 month, and 14 months), the mother and grandmother of the husband of the couple, and their two dogs staying with us. They are currently at the Mall of America so I have some peace and quiet for a few hours. Basically I just wanted to say that with the support of this site and my new book I'm reading, I'm not letting alcohol steer the ship, and it feels much better than when it did.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Awesome, go you.

In the UK the 6 Nations just started. (Rugby tournament spread over 7 weeks.) not quite as big as the Super Bowl but still an excuse for half the country to get pissed.) I stayed at home and watched it today, drank water. Weird but cool.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

That's good to hear Jeff. As one Minnesotan to another, you got this this time.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great stuff Jeff, Sober Super Bowls are soo much better than the alternative I find!!

Thanks for taking part in our NFL bracket competition in the Cafe, it's been great to have as many people involved as possible, as sometimes separating alcohol and football needs some extra support, we're also going to have a Super Bowl thread here in the Newcomers section for anyone needing a boost tomorrow, away from all that social media.

Keep pushing through!!
Old 02-06-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done to both of you Thomas and Mav 👍👍👍
Old 02-06-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Who is playing? Is it a final or are a number of teams playing? Ignorant about American football which is pretty much true of our football too, though I do like the soccer. Might be lonely here today everyone will be watching the Super Bowl. Have a great alcohol free day enjoying it. Touchdown.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleKnight View Post
Great stuff Jeff, Sober Super Bowls are soo much better than the alternative I find!!

Thanks for taking part in our NFL bracket competition in the Cafe, it's been great to have as many people involved as possible, as sometimes separating alcohol and football needs some extra support, we're also going to have a Super Bowl thread here in the Newcomers section for anyone needing a boost tomorrow, away from all that social media.

Keep pushing through!!
I show my wife our results and she loves that I'm involved. Not much, but its something.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can remember a couple of past Super Bowls when I overdid it and had to call in sick the next day. Isn't it awesome that that won't happen to us???
Enjoy your sober weekend!
Old 02-06-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Is this your first sober Super Bowl? If so, it's awesome.

Sit down tomorrow, watch some pregame stuff, then sit and watch and listen to the game. Enjoy the commercials.

It's awesome.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I will be spending the Super Bowl at my parents house enjoying good food and good company. They don't drink so I don't have to worry about being around alcohol. Even if I was, I wouldn't be interested. The idea of getting drunk now is just really unpleasant to me. When I see photos of people on facebook drinking in the morning on vacation or just because it's the weekend, it makes me thankful for being sober and free from the fog that drinking brings.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

This is my first superbowl I had the Bengals winning it against the panthers in the final so at least I got one finalist right lol

I found this Jeff see what you think

How to Be Sober on Superbowl Sunday (and Other Social Challenges) | Serenity
Old 02-06-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Wolf. To others, its not my first super bowl sober, but it will be my first without being hungover. Im 48 years old and I remember (not really) my early 40's not being able to stay awake until the end of the game. sad really.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

That's awesome Jeff I'm bumping this for its inspiration
Old 02-09-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleKnight View Post

Keep pushing through!!
Purple, now that the football season is over, is there something else we can get going? I enjoyed the heck out of it. ANYTHING so I can feel like I'm participating in something fun and non-alcoholic. (I know that sounds extremely selfish).
Old 02-09-2016, 11:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Pk already started a 6 nations thread & I've seen golf threads by him also Pk is awesome like that
Old 02-10-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There's usually a few knocking around for the Stanley Cup . . . and in June the Euro soccer tournament will be kicking off!!
Old 02-10-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

10-4 guys, I'll keep my eyes open.