Notices

Things to help Withdrawal Symptoms?

Old 02-06-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things to help Withdrawal Symptoms?

Not asking for medical advice.

Just wondering what if any thing people did to help them with withdrawal symptoms. I have the worst headache, and anxiety and the shakes. I hope this is the last hangover I ever have to have.

Any supplements? Foods or drinks that helped? I've been drinking orange juice and sipping at water.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Drank a ton of water, paced, rested as much as I could. The discomfort passed after about 36 hours - I just sort of rode it out. I benefited too from benzos that my doctor prescribed for bedtime. Went off them after a few weeks (should have been a few days but I didn't know) and all is well.

I highly recommend a visit to your physician. Is someone with you that is aware of what you are doing?
Old 02-06-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

soberlife, I think staying hydrated is key the first few days. Often we're dehydrated from drinking. That being said, I hate that you're suffering. A Doctor can help you with withdrawal. Have you considered going to your Doctor?

If you can get some soup down, even toast, that may help. Have any Gatorade? I wouldn't recommend drinking too much orange juice... it's filled with sugar.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Soberlife,

I drank pedialyte and it helped. Its actually for kids, but it has electrolytes in it which are needed for rehydration. I also ate things like saltines, bananas and nuts until I felt well enough to eat a meal. I hope you feel better soon. I know how awful it feels.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Opivotal View Post
soberlife, I think staying hydrated is key the first few days. Often we're dehydrated from drinking. That being said, I hate that you're suffering. A Doctor can help you with withdrawal. Have you considered going to your Doctor?

If you can get some soup down, even toast, that may help. Have any Gatorade? I wouldn't recommend drinking too much orange juice... it's filled with sugar.

Out of curiosity why is sugar bad? I would have thought it was good for you to help stop cravings?

The irony is I'm visiting family's house and one of my family members is a physician but I don't want to let them know I relapsed to shameful. Unfortunately getting to a doctor really isn't an option
Old 02-06-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Hi Soberlife.

My DoC was opiates so no real experience with this but a counselor I had before would recommend alcoholics keep some hard candy available. Your body converts alcohol into sugar, so your body is used to having that sugar. It will take time for it to get used to the change.
It probably won't help with the hangover, plus you are getting sugars for the orange juice but info for cravings later on.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by soberlife123 View Post
Out of curiosity why is sugar bad? I would have thought it was good for you to help stop cravings?

The irony is I'm visiting family's house and one of my family members is a physician but I don't want to let them know I relapsed to shameful. Unfortunately getting to a doctor really isn't an option
You don't want to much sugar in your system, not good for your body.

I know that it's shameful but having proper medical advice from someone who is qualified can be a lifesaver. If they really care about you they want to help you and not judge you.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Loads of water,potassium pills,and a benzo before bed,were what I used. Good luck! It was about 36hrs for me,before the 'fog' lifted.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Vitamins B, C and D3. Aswaganda root in a capsule (helps with stress). Seltzer water with a splash of apple cider vinegar and l-glutamine, help with cravings. Lots of water, lots of veggies. I've done this a few times before and this is what helped.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by soberlife123 View Post
Besides the obvious things (0 nutritional value, rots your teeth, can lead to health problems such as liver disease, obesity, diabetes etc) the main issue is it's highly addictive which in the hands of alcoholics is not a good thing. The initial rush you get from it only leads to one thing... Withdrawal/crash as it wears off.., so it's really only a temporary fix.

You're better off replacing your cravings/withdrawals with some thing else, non-addictive. Some form of exercise or a healthy snack are probably your best shout
Old 02-06-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just a note about water - obviously you want to rehydrate, but make sure you are also drinking something with electrolytes, like gatorade, pedialyte, or coconut water. I actually overdid it but only drinking a ton of water once when I was detoxing at home, and ended up in the hospital for water intoxication. Yep, that is a thing, and you can really screw up your kidneys and even die from it.

As far as food, fruits and veggies helped me, and if you can stomach them, eggs are really good for a hangover because they help your body get rid of acetaldehyde, which helped me get rid of the foggy feeling and shakes.

Good luck
Old 02-06-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

I'd try and avoid Gatorade if possible, sure the electrolytes are good and it's better than regular soda, but it's still full of sugar. Unless you're burning the calories with lots of exercise, there are probably better alternatives
Old 02-06-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In Detox they really walk the vitamin B1 (thiamine) to you so I take that for about a month, for me walking as I am at peace with nature and nothing bothers me when I am on a hike with my dog, fresh air and scenery.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi soberlife, my personal opinion is food. I've gone through moderate withdrawals twice and it is not fun as you know. Getting hydrated is important, but getting some legitimate nutrition is important. I also avoided all stimulants. At my worst I took benedryl and melatonin to keep me calm. I'm sure its uncomfortable being around family in your condition, but being around people I think is a good thing. I wish you the best.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a pretty good link on what a number of people here did in early recovery:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

just a reminder to stick to our experience please - no recommendations

D