Notices

Back again...

Old 02-06-2016, 03:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again...

Hi all,

I've tried to quit on a few occasions in the past, but generally falter at 3-4 weeks having convinced myself I can change and be a normal drinker.

Hangovers continue to get worse, as does my fear that I'm headed for an early grave when there is so much to live for.

Smashed my forehead on the pavement two nights ago, resulting in stitches and a messed up face that I'm afraid to leave the house with.

A day or two prior to the fall I started itching all over. It comes and goes but when it flares up it drives me nuts. I've had prickly skin after drinking plenty of times, but nothing like this.

Haven't drank since the fall. I'm not tapering because I do have the odd day or days off without a problem.

Hoping to stick around for a very long time.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome back!

Sure sounds to me like you have a lot of very good reason to choose sobriety as a far better life path.

We're here for you... hang on with us and start getting on to the ACTIONS of recovery.

I promise it'll be better than falling and smashing your face in the road.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hangovers continue to get worse

Yep. Alcoholism is progressive, it will only continue to get worse.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Yeah, my hangovers also got worse and worse. Then stupid things started happening like falling down and getting bashed up. When it's time to quit, it's time to quit.

Sounds like you recognize the time has come. Hang around here for ideas and support. Life without the hangovers is WONDERFUL.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome 5upersonic
Old 02-06-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that you hurt yourself. That must of been terrible!! I understand what your going through. I have scars from head to toe and each one has a drunk story attached to it. Sounds like you are beginning to understand that things will only get worse if you keep drinking. For people like us, there is no such thing as abstaining for a month or two, then resume drinking in a normal way. Just doesn't work that way. I know if I drink today, another trip to the ER or a detox unit is just around the corner. Just not worth that one drink, cause that one drink is where this it will take me. John
Old 02-06-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR!

I've fallen face-first into the floor a few times and lucky I didn't need stitches or break any teeth. That still wasn't enough to make me stop. The worsening hangovers and self-hatred helped, though.

This is a great place for support!
Old 02-06-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks all for the warm welcome and words of wisdom

desperately want to succeed this time around.

Its great to read of all the success stories here, proof that this monster can be defeated.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I fell downstairs at home in blackout in the middle of the night. broke my nose, blacked both eyes, loosened 4 teeth (needed double root canal) and bit through my lower lip. I missed the corner of a desk by centimetres.

I went to the pub that night. I look at the photos of my injuries now and can't imagine what I was thinking. I think it took me another year to quit, and things got exponentially worse.

take care and be well.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back 5upersonic!!
Old 02-06-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry about your fall, and you're right, it does get worse. I'm glad you're here and determined to make this work.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"at 3-4 weeks having convinced myself I can change and be a normal drinker.

Read hours and hours on this site, you will realize that you are correct, from then on you will get better. In my opinion.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hangovers went from bad to worse to unbareable. I did drink a lot though on those really bad hangovers.

I broke something on a motorcycle I have when drunk. Part is very hard to find but I found one and for cheap! But when I was drunk I lost it as it is not a very big part. Tore apart the garage and house looking for it. I quit shortly after and have been good for 30 days now. Oh and I got that motorcycle part again and put it on today. Bike runs like a champ.

But I was drinking and driving a lot more often. I was distancing myself from my family. I was acting like a fool.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

D
Old 02-06-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

To cap it all off I've now got flu, but it could prove a blessing because;

1. It means I can justifiably take some time off work whilst the wounds heal

2. It gives me some time and space to think about my drinking and make a plan to stop once and for all

I recall from previous dry stints how real my emotions become, particularly those around relationships, regrets etc. A lot has been kept buried by booze over the last 25 years, but I'm sure theres plenty of good advice around starting right here so I'll be reading loads in the time ahead.

Good to hear about your bike jryan, enjoy!

Old 02-06-2016, 09:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ouch!! Hope you're healed up from that. I had my fair of bumps and bruises when I was drinking! Don't know about the hangovers getting worse b/c this is my first stint with sobriety (111 days!) but everyone says they do. When you think about it, there really is no benefit to drinking. Zero. You can't remember what you did the night before and you wake up feeling like crap. You probably started a fight with your spouse, or behaved badly in some way. How is that fun? (asks my sober mind right now...) Anyway, it CAN be done! Life really is better when you're not drinking. Glad to see you aboard!