Notices

So you reckon you can have just a couple???

Old 02-06-2016, 01:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So you reckon you can have just a couple???

I have been listening to an alcohol recovery audio book and one of the last chapters discussed the idea that some people, after a period of sobriety feel that they are able to have a few drinks. I am more than happy to envision a future where alcohol is no where to be seen...so will not be planning on this. The point of this thread is that the book asks you to consider some questions to help you determine whether alcohol still has a hold on you. I listened and just thought I wouldn't trust my AV not to get involved so it's not worth asking myself the questions. Anyway it came to me when my partner came home last night with chocolate...he loves chocolate...like he cannot get enough. I don't mind it...sometimes I fancy a piece...a chocolate bar can last me days. Not the same with him. Anyway it hit me...I do not have the same take it or leave it approach to alcohol as I have with chocolate...and that is how I know I cannot just have a couple of drinks. I found it so useful to consider something instead of alcohol to help me understand just how far away from where you would need to be to even consider having 'just a couple' and thought this might be a useful exercise to throw out there for anyone considering toying with the idea that they can have a couple, or whether they even have a problem with alcohol.

Have a great sober weekend SR x
Old 02-06-2016, 01:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That was a pretty good analogy because I am the same with both too.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that Nova

D
Old 02-06-2016, 03:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you Nova
Old 02-06-2016, 03:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yep.... "just a couple"..... the hopeful myth of the serial relapse....

Took me a while to admit it to myself.

Took me a year and a half long relapse after 5 months sobriety to really "get it".

Even then, even NOW... sometimes the odd thought of "maybe I could have just a couple" will pop up.

But now it's sort of just another odd thought and I'm able to look at it and smile it away for the nonsense that it is.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Strange you should mention chocolate. I told my other half I was stopping drinking and she said to me, while I was eating chocolate, 'that's your problem with booze; you drink how you eat and have to finish everything that's there - you cant just break off a piece and make it last'. That pretty much sums me up. I have to finish what's there; in the bottle, on the shelf, in the house, in the shop...the problem is chocolate doesn't tell me to go and find more once the bar's gone.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nova, I think it's great you were able to be hoenst with yourself. I love that you ignored the questions that might lull you into thinking you could have a couple of drinks.

Keep up your strong resolve.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Very good post. Thank you.
xx
Old 02-06-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post Nova. I'm coming up on 9 months sober and the thought of having "just a few" has been on my mind the last few days.... Hoping it passes soon.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You summed it up beautifully.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Only 26 days in, I can honestly say I prefer the abstinent lifestyle. I'm not interested in a reconciliation with alcohol.

It doesn't offer anything I want. :-)
Old 02-06-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

After six months sober, I thought I could drink again. Ended up drinking for two days straight and had the worst withdrawal ever. I'll not try that again.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The really frightening part for me is that I can moderate. Sometimes.

I quit drinking for many years. Found myself having a drink without really giving it a lot of thought. Didn't have another one for weeks. Then slowly, insidiously, it started to change.

Within a few short years, I was an all day every day drinker. I wanted to die. I was depressed and afraid of my own shadow. It took me two years longer to quit again. There were still days when I would have "only" a couple beers. I guess you could try to call that moderation.

Moderation. It works until it doesn't. I didn't get any warning postcards. I was suddenly hooked. I went from occasional drinker to daily alcoholic. I don't ever want to go through that again. Moderation will never work for me.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Did someone say chocolate?!? I wander the kitchen like a zombie in the middle of the night looking for treats my GF has hidden away. I have to hold her popcorn hostage to find out where the good stuff is.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I also hate it when other people ask me, "Why don't you just have a couple?" as if it's so easy. Well, I guess it is for them. For me, just a couple wasn't even getting things started!
Old 02-06-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
After six months sober, I thought I could drink again. Ended up drinking for two days straight and had the worst withdrawal ever. I'll not try that again.
Me too... except mine turned into a year and a half long series of blackouts, shame, guilt and madness.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great post - thanks for sharing.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I can't have just one ... it's never enough.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Then slowly, insidiously, it started to change.
Intended to entrap or beguile, stealthily treacherous or deceitful -
operating or proceeding in an inconspicuous or seemingly harmless way but actually with grave effect.

One word says it all...........
Old 02-06-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

1 drink is too much....1000 drinks is not enough!!!! That 's how I roll....A couple drinks is just shear terror for me!