Notices

Weight gain in early sobriety?

Old 02-05-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weight gain in early sobriety?

Does anyone have advice about this? I have gained 7 pounds in 9 days of sobriety!! Some of it must be water weight since I was always dehydrated. But I'm only 5'5" so 7 pounds is a lot, and my jeans are so tight that I've been wearing only yoga pants lately.

I didn't eat much while drinking, but I was taking in about 2000 calories a day from daily binge drinking. I am eating a ton now (healthy meals) and also eating too much sugar, but surely that can't be as many calories as before, especially since I would eat junk food sometimes drunk at 3 a.m. and not remember it! I read a super depressing article that said many alcoholics have a "starvation response" where the body hoards calories because it is afraid of another period without nutrients. And that we are prone to food addiction. Fat and sugar give us the "rush" we got from drinking. Aaarrrgh.

Help! I don't want to be a chubby sober person! This is a big issue for me, like most women. It even caused me to relapse one time (that time I didn't gain weight as quickly, but I was so angry that I drank).

I've been too emotional and tired to exercise yet, but I enjoy it and plan to take it up soon--another thing I cut out during my last months of heavy drinking. In my experience, exercise isn't enough to lose weight, but at least I'll feel better about my body.

Can anyone with sobriety who gained weight tell me what happened later? Did you lose it?
Old 02-05-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The way I feel about it is I'd rather be a chubby sober person in early sobriety when I'm eating more sweets than I usually do because my body system is totally wacked out than a dead drunk person
Old 02-05-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think you rock for having 9 days!!
Old 02-05-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's certainly a possible side effect and there are all kinds of possibilities for the causes. As you said, could be water weight, could be that you are eating regular food now instead of drinking your meals ( I did the same many times ) or it could be your body reacting to the change of diet. If you are eating a lot more and not exercising at all that could be a potential cause too. But If it's really of concern to you seeing a doctor would be a good idea to rule out any medical cause.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Anytime I feel I'm adding on the pounds a extra bit of exercise always helps Congratulations on day 9
Old 02-05-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I will share my experience with you. When I was weekend binge drinking, I would eat very little Friday and Saturday and not drink on Sunday. Come Monday night and all day Tuesday I was a bottomless pit. I'd eat everything in sight. The rest of the week was a normal eating pattern. I think the alcohol seriously disrupts the digestive system, at least for me anyway. I believe I know why, but that might be considered medical advice/information which is not allowed.

I personally would forgive yourself for awhile regarding your weight. Just don't drink, right?
Old 02-05-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Right! I know I need to keep my priorities straight. And like Soberclover said, at least I'm alive, which was not guaranteed just a few weeks ago. I'll have to focus pretty hard, though, because weight is one of my triggers. I'll try to forgive myself. Thanks, everyone.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had the opposite happen. I shed weight rather quickly when I eliminate alcohol. I would say the booze added an extra 2500-3000 calories a day. I would also eat a late dinner after I finished my booze. I still can't believe how I bloated I got. I looked terrible but my alcohol soaked mind didn't see it.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Maybe you were a bit underweight before? I think it's good not to get too hung up on weighing yourself and numbers, but if you look up your current weight on a chart is it within the healthy range for your height?
Old 02-05-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I gained...I ate what I wanted in the beginning and didn't put any pressure on myself because quitting drinking was my main priority. Ice cream really helped with my cravings. Gradually decrease your sugar and carb intake after a couple of months and you'll be fine.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

Weight is a trigger for me, and it really brings out my AV when someone says, "just eat whatever you want and don't worry about it!" So huge congrats on 9 days, and a hug to you too because I know how challenging this process is.

I'll share my personal experience with you. It's just my experience though, obviously. I quit drinking a few years ago and stayed sober almost six years. During that time, I ate whatever I wanted. I was fat and just got fatter. I exercised but I never dealt with my food demons, and in my case, I truly believe it led to my decision to drink again.

I'm at 18 days in my second go. Fortunately, I quit early this time before I'd slid extremely far down the slippery slope. But this time, I've decided that I need to conquer both the food and alcohol beasts.

Those first ten days were AWFUL! But the past week, physically, I've felt great. It's really paying off so far. Plus I feel like in order for me to truly be sober, as I define it, I can't be abusing substances. That needs to include sugar. I'm not going 100% sugar free, but I'm cutting added sugar way down and focusing on adding vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, and tons of water. And seriously, it's already night and day from where I was when I was binging (both alcohol and food) and where I was when I was in those first ten days. There's hope! My pants are fitting better AND I feel like a spring flower. It pays off!
Old 02-05-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As someone who stopped drinking about 100 days ago I can share my experience with you. I am a 55 year old male. I have lost about 9 pounds since I stopped drinking. But even while drinking I had become one of those low sugar and low carb dieters. The big exception/weakness in my diet was of course the alcohol. I liked heavy (high alcohol) beer and it did not help at all. So when I stopped drinking I was actually following a true low carb and low sugar diet and it worked. To me sugar is simply another white powder that I need to avoid in recovery. I do cringe a bit at some of the AA meetings I attend. Lots of free cookies and donuts. But as others have said too much sugar sure beats too much alcohol.

I also do some sort of cardio exercise 6 days a week for 20-30 minutes.

Good luck.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

About three years ago I quit for nearly 11 months, I was much more active because I had more energy, and lost 20+ pounds. Then like a chowderhead I got caught up again. I gained about 7 back.

This time I'm on day 35 and I noticed nothing much happened the first few weeks, although I deliberately didn't weigh myself for the first month because my scale doesn't get to have an opinion about whether being sober is worth it!

I think it just takes a while for our bodies to adjust...this link is to my favorite sobriety blogger on the weight topic...

Mummy was a Secret Drinker: Reasons to Quit Drinking #1: Weight Loss
Old 02-05-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I gained some at first too. Like others have said don't worry about it right now. I expected to gain some. Your body is healing. If your medically clear to exercise get on it. Exercise is my new feel good habit.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
I gained...I ate what I wanted in the beginning and didn't put any pressure on myself because quitting drinking was my main priority. Ice cream really helped with my cravings. Gradually decrease your sugar and carb intake after a couple of months and you'll be fine.
Same here on all counts except I gave myself 1 year. My only priority for 12 months was to not drink. I'm coming up on 18 months and I'm down 11 lbs. You'll get there. Just give yourself some grace right now.

Congrats on your sobriety!
Old 02-05-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I gained almost 100 pounds over the past year. I am now working on losing that weight, but I'm sober, and happy. If I had to, I would keep these 100 pounds if it was the only way for me to stay sober, thankfully, I know it's not.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone here for their support. My AV was running wild with this. I really felt like drinking. Instead I wrote about it (on SR and in journal).

Strongbird, your post meant a lot. Thanks for being honest and especially thank for the hug I needed that. Ariesagain, I will now read that blog!! Thanks for the link.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Some interesting and sensible reading on this thread - thanks for starting it, safeandsound. I'm feeling in a similar position on Day 14 - waiting for the weight loss to start, but being sure to eat very clean and to try to go for a (pathetically brief!) walk each day despite feeling tired and headachey. The better eating and the exercise just has to be an improvement, and I'm patient.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

For me, the drinking caused me to gain weight, so hopefully I'll lose some lbs soon. Yeah you drink a lot of calories when drinking, but if you are anything like me you are burning a lot of those off, moving around, talking, dancing, going to get more alcohol, going outside to smoke, etc. If you are just sitting at home at night now and eating. Then yeah you will gain weight. Get up and get some exercise. Like others have said, it's better to be fat and sober than drunk and dead, but you don't have to choose between these two. Go excercise and be fit and sober.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Some interesting and sensible reading on this thread - thanks for starting it, safeandsound. I'm feeling in a similar position on Day 14 - waiting for the weight loss to start, but being sure to eat very clean and to try to go for a (pathetically brief!) walk each day despite feeling tired and headachey. The better eating and the exercise just has to be an improvement, and I'm patient.
Me too, sometimes I only manage a very pathetic walk- buts it better than nothing xoxo