Notices

Dealing with character defects

Old 02-03-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with character defects

I have been thinking about character defects lately. I am an AAer so when these come up in my life I do my best to identify them and decide what isthe underlying reason of the defect.

Recently the nursing school didn't receive enough applications for the fall semester and she allowed me to submit my application, although I don't have all of my prerequisites done. She needs to run it by the dean first, but I have a chance that I may be able to get intonthe program early. I am so terribly impatient I want to know nowwww! That is a defect I do my best to work on.

Sometimes I get jealous too and I wish I didn't feel that way. When this happens I identify it, am willing to change the defect, then ask god to help me remove it.

Would love to hear what you all have to say about how you deal with character defects or what you think about mine. About to go to bed. I love waking up and reading the responses from my SR friends. Goodnight!
Old 02-03-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

No ones perfect but we can try to be the best we can

Prayers a big part of that for me - and of course action, actively changing things, reactions etc - thats where the rubber meets the road.

D
Old 02-03-2016, 08:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I'm approaching them from the angle of mindfulness -- identifying the shoddy thinking/behavior as it occurs, and pointing out to myself that I'm practicing -- and reinforcing -- bad habits. It's an ongoing process, weeding one's own garden.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I try to focus only on what I want or need, opposite of the defect. If I'm jealous it's because I have low self-esteem/feel inadequate so I work on that, why I'm that way. I thank God for the patience I do have whether I believe I have it or not and it comes, multiplies. Some defects I turn into positives like my stubbornness. My stubbornness has saved me from a lot of pain by not being so impulsive. When I count up my defects I balance out the list by having positive ones also. Be aware but don't beat yourself up!