Don't know what to feel

Old 02-03-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't know what to feel

It's been a while since I've posted. Alcoholic sister had her spleen removed at Thanksgiving, it tore and couldn't be repaired. The Dr. told my other sister that her organs have become brittle and like tissue paper due to her drinking for 30 years. She has been in chronic pain since then. Then, last night, other sister calls me to say that AS had surgery AGAIN, this time she was bleeding from an internal hernia?!?! The thing is, I don't feel ANYTHING! Not sadness,or pity, and I am beginning to think that there is something wrong with me for the lack of empathy. I don't want to see her altho she is in a hospital 10 minutes away. AS has told other sister that she stopped drinking a few weeks ago due to the physical pain it was causing her, but I have my doubts as she drunk texted her daughter last wkend, calling her vile names because her daughter wouldn't give her any cash, that daughter would buy AS anything she needed. Just feeling so sad for AS grown daughters, they keep on hoping, and hoping...The only good thing ( I think) is that my Dad, who would rescue AS, is far away on vacation, and is unable to bring her back to his home to care for her. Dad needs care himself, so I find THAT a blessing. She will, in all probability, need to go on disability now, she has been thru surgery at least 5 times the last 3 years, her body is failing. The best I feel I can do for her is pray, but my prayers just seem so insincere, and support her grown daughters emotionally, tho that,too, seems hollow. Thanks, just need to organize thoughts.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, sadsister. I think your feelings are completely normal under these circumstances. You've been through a lot over the years.

((hug)) Take care of you.

Thanks for posting, maybe someone will read this who doesn't believe they are doing damage to their body. So much physical and mental destruction. It's indeed sad.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I go through the same emotions with my son sadsister.

Numb and angry. I know for me it's a coping method and it doesn't last forever, but it gets me through the really rough times. I think the real reason for those emotions with me is I'm angry because I'm so helpless to do anything. There is a lot of pain underneath the anger. It's hard standing back when someone is in dire need of healing and you can't help. I know you have done everything possible for your sister.

When I feel all of that I pray for myself first. I talk to God about all the anger and pain and confusion and ask for help.