Notices

Getting outside yourself....

Old 02-02-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting outside yourself....

A lot of posts on here include "volunteering" in the list of ways to get focused on something other than yourself, something other than 'not drinking' and to meet and interact with people in a setting other than drinking-related.

I think this piece of recovery wisdom cannot be overstated. Among the tools of recovery that I have made a foundation of my successful and rewarding sobriety is doing 'giveback' work. Beyond volunteerism, I have seen a need in my community, taken leadership action and started an organization to serve children in a way that is needed. It meant taking on a fair bit of responsibility, recruiting help, marketing the idea, finding a venue, rallying support, getting the word out and enlisting kids.... but it's now been going for a year and a half and is really going strong and making a difference.

It's making a difference for the kids, for our community, for the volunteers who get involved - and for ME. My sobriety is strengthened by the reward of 'giveback'. My sense of meaning, of purpose, of value in life is reinforced when I get outside myself and do something for others.

I think that one thing all of us who struggle with addiction share is a challenge to our sense of purpose. I think we all somehow have a feeling that there is something more we are here to serve - but somehow along the way that longing or that sense of yearning or that need for meaning gets twisted into an addiction.

It has been really powerful medicine - not merely in terms of supporting my sobriety, but in terms of deepening my experience of life.

Find something that you feel calls to you... something that interests you... and get involved. If that thing is a need you can see crying out to be served, as yet unmet; consider being the catalyst. Take up a mantle to organize. Often, help and support will follow.

It could be as simple as helping out with your local VA hospital, going to visit with sick veterans.... it could be as complicated as launching a new non-profit organization....

But get outside yourself. On some level. It will help, I promise.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'd love to do some giving back.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent thread bud