Tears come so easy...

Old 02-01-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tears come so easy...

I am at Mass and they sing a song that brings tears....
Why oh why can they not see the life they are choosing is killing them and everyone around them?????!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure that everyone around me at Mass thinks I am a freak as I cannot hold back the tears depending on what song they sing.....

Someday I know he will get his act together but I am just hoping that I will be around to see it.

It's been a "goofy" journey here as nothing became obvious to us until he lost everything .....I guess we had blinders on....

I am tired...I am old....and I want to go on with life but it is soooooooooo hard!!!
Old 02-01-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Plink, I get you. My qualifier (who is my X husband, and RX addict and alcoholic) actually sings and plays guitar for our church band. If only he could have actually listened and applied the words he was singing so beautifully. It is sad, it is also out of our control.

Many, many hugs!
Old 02-01-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Plink,

"I am sure that everyone around me at Mass thinks I am a freak as I cannot hold back the tears depending on what song they sing....."

I seriously doubt that they think you are a freak. The Spirit touches people in different ways, music is but one vehicle. Just talk to any choir director or head of music at any church - they will confirm that music is a powerful tool.

"Amazing Grace" was my mother's favorite hymn, her pastor thought that it gave her hope for her parents who were good people, but never "churched" or overtly religious. Naturally it was played and sung beautifully by a soloist at my mother's funeral. It is rare that I can hear, much less sing "Amazing Grace" without shedding a tear or two.

A couple of years ago when my daughter was in her first rehab, we had gone to her rehab facility for "Family Wellness Weekend". It was Sunday and the last day of the 3 day session for parents and loved ones. It had already been a very intense and emotional weekend for all involved.

We were at Mass in the gorgeous chapel at the rehab and what appears on the program - "Amazing Grace", gamely I rose with the rest of the congregation to sing, I made it through about one and a half verses before I was pushed over the hilt, the sobs racking my body. My wife wrapped her arm around me as I sat back down, two total strangers behind me placed comforting hands on my shoulders and offered tissues.

My tears in that Mass and the reaction from others were my first introduction to the support offered freely by "the recovery community" -- they didn't think I was a freak; they understood on a deeper level than I could begin to comprehend at the time.

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 02-01-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plink View Post
nothing became obvious to us until he lost everything .....I guess we had blinders on....
Hi Plink,

I understand this all too well. Addiction sneaks in like a thief in the night. We have no idea until it is brought to light all at once. By then our loved one is much deeper than we had imagined. What torture. They are on their own journey, as we are on ours. We cannot control their addiction or cure it. We must focus on what makes us happy and what brings us peace throughout the day. We must allow ourselves to recover while loving and praying for them from a short distance.

I am wishing you the best and pressing onward alongside you!